[comp.sys.amiga] New York Computer Graphics Show

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (01/11/89)

Is it true the rumours I here that Commodore-Amiga is not going to
have a booth at this show? This has been a fairly big show, albeit
not as big as ncga or siggraph, but still a show with what I thought
was a strong following.
   I hope I'm proved wrong but if not I don't know how Commodore-Amiga
intends to overcome the "The best kept secret in the Industry" nickname.
   If Commodore-Amiga for some reason can't attend maybe they could
atleast help some other third party developers get booth space
and pay some of the bills. After all it is the third party software
that sells amigas.
--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (01/19/89)

In article <592@boing.UUCP> dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) writes:
>Is it true the rumours I here that Commodore-Amiga is not going to
>have a booth at this show? This has been a fairly big show, albeit
>not as big as ncga or siggraph, but still a show with what I thought
>was a strong following.
>   I hope I'm proved wrong but if not I don't know how Commodore-Amiga
>intends to overcome the "The best kept secret in the Industry" nickname.
>   If Commodore-Amiga for some reason can't attend maybe they could
>atleast help some other third party developers get booth space
>and pay some of the bills. After all it is the third party software
>that sells amigas.

[Even as I type this posting the Computer Graphics show is in progress.
This posting will be too late for most of you, but I felt a response was
called for...]

I was concerned when I read this posting so I sought out the powers-that-
be to get the scoop:  Unfortunately, the rumours you heard are correct.
Commodore will not be at the New York Computer Graphics show.  The problem
is one of resources.  While Commodore has over 50 shows slated for this year
alone, there are many we, regrettably, cannot attend.  For those we don't,
however, we make an effort to help dealers and developers out with equipment
and whatever else they might need.  We're helping out a couple for the
New York show, so Commodore's presence will be felt.
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) (01/19/89)

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) writes:

>I was concerned when I read this posting so I sought out the powers-that-
>be to get the scoop:  Unfortunately, the rumours you heard are correct.
>Commodore will not be at the New York Computer Graphics show.  The problem
>is one of resources.  While Commodore has over 50 shows slated for this year
>alone, there are many we, regrettably, cannot attend.  For those we don't,
>however, we make an effort to help dealers and developers out with equipment
>and whatever else they might need.  We're helping out a couple for the
>New York show, so Commodore's presence will be felt.
>--
>Eric Cotton
>Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100
>1200 Wilson Drive                        {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!eric
>West Chester, PA 19380            "I don't find this stuff amusing anymore."

Eric - would it be possible for you to trap the powers-that-be once more
and ask them these:

1) Can we get a posting of ALL the shows that Commodore plants to attend
in the next year or so?  That is shows that at least "on the schedule."
Knowing how far in advance a company needs to plan for this kind of thing
I'd think such a list (with name of show, dates, city, location) would
be gettable if the p-t-b would be willing to release one publically.

2) Who would be the best person to talk to inside Commodore to convince
that it would be a _good idea_ to issue press releases and press kits
not only in paper format but in machine (Amiga) readable format?  Each
time I visit a Commodore booth at a show and ask the nice ladies at the
front counter if they have the press releases on disk for those of us
in the electronic media I get these whimsical looks, then one of them
turns to the other and says "y'know that's a good idea" but at the next
show nothing's changed.

Thanks

Harv Laser, Sysop, The People/Link AmigaZone.  Plink: CBM*HARV
UUCP: {ames!elroy, <backbone>}!gryphon!pnet02!hrlaser
INET: hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com
<---open            Push down while turning           close tightly--->

In article <10915@gryphon.COM> hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
|1) Can we get a posting of ALL the shows that Commodore plants to attend
|in the next year or so?  That is shows that at least "on the schedule."
|Knowing how far in advance a company needs to plan for this kind of thing
|I'd think such a list (with name of show, dates, city, location) would
|be gettable if the p-t-b would be willing to release one publically.

As far as I know the list IS public.  It is printed every once in a while
in AmigaMail, the newsletter that commercial and certified developers
receive regularly. I don't think there are any particular restrictions
on the information included in AmigaMail, save for the usual copyrights
and warranty disclaimers.

-- Marco Papa 'Doc'
uucp:...!pollux!papa       BIX:papa       ARPAnet:pollux!papa@oberon.usc.edu
 "There's Alpha, Beta, Gamma and Diga!" -- Leo Schwab [quoting Rick Unland]

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (01/21/89)

In article <10915@gryphon.COM>, hrlaser@pnet02.cts.com (Harv Laser) writes:
> eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) writes:
> >
> >I was concerned when I read this posting so I sought out the powers-that-
> >be to get the scoop:  Unfortunately, the rumours you heard are correct.
> >Commodore will not be at the New York Computer Graphics show.  The problem
> >is one of resources.  While Commodore has over 50 shows slated for this year
>
> 1) Can we get a posting of ALL the shows that Commodore plants to attend
> in the next year or so?  That is shows that at least "on the schedule."
> Knowing how far in advance a company needs to plan for this kind of thing

And then also, Commodore has a program that encourages developers to submit
up to 4 copies of their product for CBM to evaluate internally and sometimes
I believe recommend to dealers/whatever... when they attend shows like this,
I wonder if some of those products attend the shows WITH them, either to
show off the machines in some whiz-bang manner, or simply as a glassed-in
enclosure, packed to the gills, displaying one of the unopened product
packages, to indicate to potential buyers of the Amiga what a wide range
of support the machine enjoys (at last count, supposed to be over 1200
products available, or am I way too low).  As a supplier of two of these
products (both books), I am finally in a position to submit them officially
in the quantities requested, to CBM's marketing division or wherever they'll
end up and I'd hope that they'd get some exposure to the public via this
avenue.   Even if it was "only" in a flyer to the dealers in the form of
here's a list of 400 new products that were submitted to us for evaluation...
did you (dealers) know that these exist ... wink, wink, nudge, nudge ...
maybe some of em you might want to carry on your shelves to help you
sell more Amigas ... then make available the list of 'where to find em'
to dealers who ARE interested.  Kinda an effort of "support the folks
who support you", benefitting both the developers and the dealers, and
not coincidently Commodore itself.

Rob Peck