[comp.sys.amiga] Fred Fish, PD programs

HRUBIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu (01/12/89)

   I will appreciate any help anyone can give on how a BITNET user can access
various PD programs such as the Fred Fish collect, comp.sources.amiga, etc.
Thanks in advance,
Harvey              hrubin@uconnvm

smsst5@cisunx.UUCP (Steve M Suhy) (01/13/89)

In article <6540@louie.udel.EDU>, HRUBIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu writes:

>    I will appreciate any help anyone can give on how a BITNET user can access
> various PD programs such as the Fred Fish collect, comp.sources.amiga, etc.
> Thanks in advance,
> Harvey              hrubin@uconnvm

On the unix system here at Pitt, we use ftp [file transfer program]. At
prompt , ('$'?), type ftp -i.
it should read 'ftp>'.
type open {name of host}; for Fish disks try uxe.cso.uiuc.edu   or
                                             trantor.umd.edu
It should respond with some Name prompt. type anonymous.
Password prompt appears. type login name.
Then your in. Type binary to make sure all transfers of programs are
in binary. Should respond with 'Type set to I'.
Then proceed looking thru directories with usual dir and cd commands.
To download a file to your net file, type get {filename}.
It should then have some receiving message and you have it.
Exit when you're finished browsing by typing bye.
When back at system prompt, if file you got has Z extension,
 type uncompress {filename}
If these files after that have uu extensions, type uudecode {filename}.
If they have sh extension, type sh {filename} or get unshar from net.
Once this is done, I'm assuming your net system has these uudecode's and
all installed, then you are ready to download these by kermit.
Type kermit -i. It should read C-kermit>. type send {filename}. Then set
up your receiving terminal to accept the file by menu selection or
what have you with your terminal software. If the file name has a .zoo
extension, I advise you to somehow get a hold of a Zoo program on disk
at home, by probably downloading it when it had the other extensions, and
use it at home. The format for using it, when you have it, is [with
zoo in df0: and .zoo file in df1:] is df0:zoo -extract df1:filename. You
can type this in CLI. For files with extensions .arc, get a hold of an
ARC file that will extract these files. Then type df0:arc x df1:filename.
It should work. Anyways, that is the way I do it. It may be different
because of different systems, but hope it gets you somewhere.

             -Steve Suhy
             -University of Pittsburgh

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (01/14/89)

In article <14892@cisunx.UUCP>, smsst5@cisunx.UUCP (Steve M Suhy) writes:

> It should respond with some Name prompt. type anonymous.
> Password prompt appears. type login name.
> Then your in. Type binary to make sure all transfers of programs are
> in binary. Should respond with 'Type set to I'.
[Bunch of dgood stuff deleted]

>              -Steve Suhy
>              -University of Pittsburgh

I wanted to ad a line that helps me a great deal, as I get tired of
watching a ftp screen that sits there with nothing happening for
long periods of time. The hash command will change it so that
the system prints a hash mark (#) every 1k of transfered data, so that
you know how the system is progressing on that transfer. I usually
type the hash command right after setting the mode to binary.

  Greg Garner
  501-442-4847
  gmg@hcx.uucp   USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (01/15/89)

In article <1624@cveg.uucp> gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) writes:
[...]
>I wanted to ad a line that helps me a great deal, as I get tired of
>watching a ftp screen that sits there with nothing happening for
>long periods of time. The hash command will change it so that
>the system prints a hash mark (#) every 1k of transfered data, so that
>you know how the system is progressing on that transfer. I usually
>type the hash command right after setting the mode to binary.
>
>  Greg Garner
>  501-442-4847
>  gmg@hcx.uucp   USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg

Actually, I've noticed that on every Unix system I've used ftp on, the
number of hash marks is never quite the same, even for the same file.
And the number of hash marks is always at least as many as there
should be, but usually more.  For example, transferring an 80K file,
you might get 93 hash marks one time, and 107 another. My
interpretation of why this happens is that in the code, it does a
read(fd,buf,1024) to read 1K, printing a hash mark for that 1K, but
not taking into account (as far as printing hash marks goes) that the
read call may return less than 1024 bytes read. So you end up with
extra reads, and therefore an inappropriate number of hash marks
printed. I believe it has the same problem with writes, also. (Haven't
watched carefully; I usually do "ftp" get commands so the umask value
will take effect.) JTYMLTK.

Deven

------- shadow@pawl.rpi.edu --- Deven Thomas Corzine -------------------------
Cogito  shadow@acm.rpi.edu      2346 15th Street        Pi-Rho America
ergo    userfxb6@rpitsmts       Troy, NY 12180-2306     (518) 272-5847
sum...     In the immortal words of Socrates...  "I drank what?"   ...I think.

2011_552@uwovax.uwo.ca (Terry Gaetz (UWO Astronomy); Bitnet: gaetz@uwovax) (01/15/89)

In article <14892@cisunx.UUCP>, smsst5@cisunx.UUCP (Steve M Suhy) writes:
> In article <6540@louie.udel.EDU>, HRUBIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu writes:
>>
>>    I will appreciate any help anyone can give on how a BITNET user can access
>> various PD programs such as the Fred Fish collect, comp.sources.amiga, etc.
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Harvey              hrubin@uconnvm
>
> On the unix system here at Pitt, we use ftp [file transfer program]. At
> prompt , ('$'?), type ftp -i.
> it should read 'ftp>'.
> type open {name of host}; for Fish disks try uxe.cso.uiuc.edu   or
>                                              trantor.umd.edu
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]
>              -Steve Suhy
>              -University of Pittsburgh
Would it be possible to post the network addresses of these?  I can use
ftp through a Vax running VMS.  Although it doesn't seem to know addresses
such as "trantor.umd.edu", I have had success using the numeric addresses.
Thanks.
                                       Terry Gaetz
                                       Bitnet: gaetz@uwovax

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (01/16/89)

In article <146@rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
->In article <1624@cveg.uucp> gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) writes:
->[...]
->>I wanted to ad a line that helps me a great deal, as I get tired of
->>watching a ftp screen that sits there with nothing happening for
->>long periods of time. The hash command will change it so that
->>the system prints a hash mark (#) every 1k of transfered data, so that
->>you know how the system is progressing on that transfer. I usually
->>type the hash command right after setting the mode to binary.
->>
->>  Greg Garner
->>  501-442-4847
->>  gmg@hcx.uucp   USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg
->
->
->Actually, I've noticed that on every Unix system I've used ftp on, the
->number of hash marks is never quite the same, even for the same file.
->And the number of hash marks is always at least as many as there
->should be, but usually more.  For example, transferring an 80K file,
->you might get 93 hash marks one time, and 107 another. My
->interpretation of why this happens is that in the code, it does a
->read(fd,buf,1024) to read 1K, printing a hash mark for that 1K, but
->not taking into account (as far as printing hash marks goes) that the
->read call may return less than 1024 bytes read. So you end up with
->extra reads, and therefore an inappropriate number of hash marks
->printed. I believe it has the same problem with writes, also. (Haven't
->watched carefully; I usually do "ftp" get commands so the umask value
->will take effect.) JTYMLTK.

Another possibility is that some packets were bad so they had to be
retransmitted again :^).

->Deven
->
->------- shadow@pawl.rpi.edu --- Deven Thomas Corzine -------------------------
--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (01/16/89)

In article <1264@uwovax.uwo.ca> 2011_552@uwovax.uwo.ca (Terry Gaetz (UWO Astronomy); Bitnet: gaetz@uwovax) writes:
+----------------
|In article <14892@cisunx.UUCP>, smsst5@cisunx.UUCP (Steve M Suhy) writes:
|> In article <6540@louie.udel.EDU>, HRUBIN%UCONNVM.BITNET@mitvma.mit.edu writes:
|>>
|>>    I will appreciate any help anyone can give on how a BITNET user can access
|>> various PD programs such as the Fred Fish collect, comp.sources.amiga, etc.
|>> Thanks in advance,
|>> Harvey              hrubin@uconnvm
|> [...]
|[...]
|Would it be possible to post the network addresses of these?  I can use
|ftp through a Vax running VMS.  Although it doesn't seem to know addresses
|such as "trantor.umd.edu", I have had success using the numeric addresses.
|Thanks.
|                                       Terry Gaetz
|                                       Bitnet: gaetz@uwovax
is gatewayed into it.

From Bitnet, try sending the message "HELP" to LISTSERV@FINTUVM for more info.

Cheers,
--
   _  _/\	Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
   \`o O|	Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (01/17/89)

In article <1264@uwovax.uwo.ca>, 2011_552@uwovax (Terry Gaetz (UWO Astronomy);
Bitnet: gaetz@uwovax) writes:
>Would it be possible to post the network addresses of [uxe.cso.uiuc.edu
>and trantor.umd.edu]?  I can use
>ftp through a Vax running VMS.  Although it doesn't seem to know addresses
>such as "trantor.umd.edu", I have had success using the numeric addresses.

uxe is [128.174.5.54] and trantor is [128.8.10.14].

However, you should complain to your sysadmin about not running a name
server, which will resolve these names for you.  Then he, in turn,
should complain (bitterly) to his vendor, etc., or you will be
troubled by things like this forever.

	...tad

--
Tad Guy         <tadguy@cs.odu.edu>     Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA

shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) (01/17/89)

[line eater? what li

In article <34@snll-arpagw.UUCP> paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
>In article <146@rpi.edu> shadow@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven T. Corzine) writes:
>->Actually, I've noticed that on every Unix system I've used ftp on, the
>->number of hash marks is never quite the same, even for the same file.
>->And the number of hash marks is always at least as many as there
>->should be, but usually more.  For example, transferring an 80K file,
>->you might get 93 hash marks one time, and 107 another. My
>->interpretation of why this happens is that in the code, it does a
>->read(fd,buf,1024) to read 1K, printing a hash mark for that 1K, but
>->not taking into account (as far as printing hash marks goes) that the
>->read call may return less than 1024 bytes read. So you end up with
>->extra reads, and therefore an inappropriate number of hash marks
>->printed. I believe it has the same problem with writes, also. (Haven't
>->watched carefully; I usually do "ftp" get commands so the umask value
>->will take effect.) JTYMLTK.
>
>Another possibility is that some packets were bad so they had to be
>retransmitted again :^).
>
>->Deven
>->
>->------- shadow@pawl.rpi.edu --- Deven Thomas Corzine -------------------------
>--
>					-+= SAM =+-
>"the best things in life are free"
>
>				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

Oh, sure.  Happens ALL the time.  After all, TCP is just SOOO
unreliable...  :-)

BTW, ftp apprears to get the number of hash marks right on "put"
commands.  Only the "get" commands exhibit the flaw.

Deven

[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
[inews fodder]
------- shadow@pawl.rpi.edu ------- Deven Thomas Corzine ---------------------
Cogito  shadow@acm.rpi.edu          2346 15th Street            Pi-Rho America
ergo    userfxb6@rpitsmts.bitnet    Troy, NY 12180-2306         (518) 272-5847
sum...     In the immortal words of Socrates:  "I drank what?"     ...I think.

smsst5@cisunx.UUCP (Steve M Suhy) (01/19/89)

> > On the unix system here at Pitt, we use ftp [file transfer program]. At
> > prompt , ('$'?), type ftp -i.
> > it should read 'ftp>'.
> > type open {name of host}; for Fish disks try uxe.cso.uiuc.edu   or
> >                                              trantor.umd.edu
> [...]
> Would it be possible to post the network addresses of these?  I can use
> ftp through a Vax running VMS.  Although it doesn't seem to know addresses
> such as "trantor.umd.edu", I have had success using the numeric addresses.
> Thanks.
>                                        Terry Gaetz
>                                        Bitnet: gaetz@uwovax

Some of the network addresses are:
                                   trantor.umd.edu   [128.147.5.10]
                                   uxe.cso.uiuc.edu  [128.174.5.54]
                                   j.cc.purdue.edu   [128.210.0.3]

   -Steve
   -University of Pittsburgh grad

louie@trantor.umd.edu (Louis A. Mamakos) (01/22/89)

In article <15070@cisunx.UUCP> smsst5@cisunx.UUCP (Steve M Suhy) writes:
>> Would it be possible to post the network addresses of these?  I can use
>> ftp through a Vax running VMS.  Although it doesn't seem to know addresses
>> such as "trantor.umd.edu", I have had success using the numeric addresses.
>> Thanks.
>>                                        Terry Gaetz
>>                                        Bitnet: gaetz@uwovax
>
>Some of the network addresses are:
>                                   trantor.umd.edu   [128.147.5.10]

This address is wrong.  You should query the domain name system for the
correct address.  Those of you with static host tables are running seriously
broken software if you want to interoperate on the DARPA/NSF Internet these
days.

While I'm at it, could I ask you guys to try to limit your FTP access to
trantor.umd.edu to off hours?  We actually do try to get real work done on
this machine.

Louis A. Mamakos  WA3YMH    Internet: louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU
University of Maryland, Computer Science Center - Systems Programming