[comp.sys.amiga] Dnet and HP-UX?

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (01/17/89)

In article <1191@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>Has anyone been able to get Dnet to work on Ultrix (Ultrix 2.2 in my
>case) ?

How about getting it to work under HP-UX (which is Sys V with many
BSDisms).  That sure would be handy.

========
Darren Leigh
Internet:  dleigh@hplabs.hp.com
UUCP:      hplabs!dleigh

ngorelic@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) (01/18/89)

In article <2807@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> dleigh@hplabsz.UUCP (Darren Leigh) writes:
>In article <1191@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>Has anyone been able to get Dnet to work on Ultrix (Ultrix 2.2 in my
>>case) ?
>
>How about getting it to work under HP-UX (which is Sys V with many
>BSDisms).  That sure would be handy.

	Can't be done without MAJOR code revisions.  Dnet uses sockets,
and there is no such thing on HP-UX.

Bamf

--
You want it should sing too?          |          ngorelic@uokmax
<Never have figured out what goes here>    ...hpuecoa!bgphp1!ngorelic

mat@emcard.UUCP (W Mat Waites) (01/18/89)

In article <2242@uokmax.UUCP> ngorelic@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) writes:
}In article <2807@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM} dleigh@hplabsz.UUCP (Darren Leigh) writes:
}}In article <1191@esunix.UUCP} blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
}}}Has anyone been able to get Dnet to work on Ultrix (Ultrix 2.2 in my
}}}case) ?
}}
}
}	Can't be done without MAJOR code revisions.  Dnet uses sockets,
}and there is no such thing on HP-UX.
}
}You want it should sing too?          |          ngorelic@uokmax
}<Never have figured out what goes here}    ...hpuecoa!bgphp1!ngorelic

I believe that sockets and other BSD stuff (rlogin, rsh, etc) are included
in an optional package of software from HP.

Mat

--
W Mat Waites
gatech!emcard!mat

pdg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Paul Gootherts) (01/19/89)

>	Can't be done without MAJOR code revisions.  Dnet uses sockets,
>	and there is no such thing on HP-UX.

The HP 9000 Series 800 (HP-PA-based) has had sockets since first release
in 1987.  I don't know how long the HP 9000 Series 300 (68K-based) has
had sockets, but it's been a while.  I don't believe the HP 9000 Series
500 ever got sockets.

- Paul Gootherts, Hewlett-Packard Co, hplabs!hpda!pdg

dleigh@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Darren Leigh) (01/19/89)

In article <2242@uokmax.UUCP> ngorelic@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) writes:
>In article <2807@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM> dleigh@hplabsz.UUCP (Darren Leigh) writes:
>>In article <1191@esunix.UUCP> blgardne@esunix.UUCP (Blaine Gardner) writes:
>>>Has anyone been able to get Dnet to work on Ultrix (Ultrix 2.2 in my
>>>case) ?
>>
>>How about getting it to work under HP-UX (which is Sys V with many
>>BSDisms).  That sure would be handy.
>
>	Can't be done without MAJOR code revisions.  Dnet uses sockets,
>and there is no such thing on HP-UX.

Huh?  Is there more than one kind of socket?  HP-UX certainly does
support all the socket stuff: that's how we run X-windows, etc.

Well, since no one else seems to have ported Dnet to HP-UX, it looks
like something I'll add to my queue.  But don't hold your collective
breaths.

========

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (01/19/89)

  (Darren Leigh) writes:
>}}How about getting it to work under HP-UX (which is Sys V with many
>}}BSDisms).  That sure would be handy.

>}	Can't be done without MAJOR code revisions.  Dnet uses sockets,
>}and there is no such thing on HP-UX.

>I believe that sockets and other BSD stuff (rlogin, rsh, etc) are included
>in an optional package of software from HP.

Indeed.  The "ARPA/Berkeley services" product is one of a number
of network-related products providing all this and more.
It makes sense to unbundle them, because not everyone needs this stuff.
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

ngorelic@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) (01/20/89)

In article <6080013@hpcupt1.HP.COM> pdg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Paul Gootherts) writes:
That I wrote:
>>	Can't be done without MAJOR code revisions.  Dnet uses sockets,
>>	and there is no such thing on HP-UX.
>
>The HP 9000 Series 800 (HP-PA-based) has had sockets since first release
>in 1987.  I don't know how long the HP 9000 Series 300 (68K-based) has
>had sockets, but it's been a while.  I don't believe the HP 9000 Series
>500 ever got sockets.

	Ah, the problems with generalizations...  Allow me to rephrase:
I tried to compile Dnet on our HP9000 Ser. 500.  It gaged and barfed severly,
and told me that it had absolutly no idea what a socket was.

That better?

--
 NEVER date a music major.  At least not one that's named her clarinet "Thor"
----You want it should sing too?------|          ngorelic@uokmax

hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) (01/22/89)

[Edited slightly --hz]
In article <2255@uokmax.UUCP> ngorelic@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) writes:
>>In article <6080013@hpcupt1.HP.COM> pdg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Paul Gootherts) writes:
>>The HP 9000 Series 800 (HP-PA-based) has sockets...
>>the HP 9000 Series 300 (68K-based) has sockets..
>>I don't believe the HP 9000 Series 500 ever got sockets.
>>
>	Ah, the problems with generalizations...  Allow me to rephrase:
>I tried to compile Dnet on our HP9000 Ser. 500.  It gaged and barfed severly,
>and told me that it had absolutly no idea what a socket was.

The HP9000 Series 500 do have a socket like mechanism. They are called
virtual circuits. Their functionallity is almost the same as that of 4BSD
TCP sockets. As far as I can remember the function calls all started with
"vc_". As a requirement you do need to have the Remote File Access and ??
(can't remember that one) software that comes (came?) with the ethernet
interfaces.

Because it is more than two years back that I used the HP9000/500 for the
last time, I cannot tell which manuals to look for. If you send me a mail
I can inquire for pointers on the appropriate manuals. Maybe HP allows me
to send you the appropriate manual pages?

						Hans
--
Hans Zuidam                                    E-Mail: hans@pcg.philips.nl
Philips Telecommunications and Data Systems,   Tel: +31 40 892288

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (01/22/89)

In article <199@nlgvax.UUCP> hans@nlgvax.UUCP (Hans Zuidam) writes:
>The HP9000 Series 500 do have a socket like mechanism. They are called
>virtual circuits. Their functionallity is almost the same as that of 4BSD
>TCP sockets. As far as I can remember the function calls all started with
>"vc_". As a requirement you do need to have the Remote File Access and ??
>(can't remember that one) software that comes (came?) with the ethernet
>interfaces.

It should be noted that a "socket-like" mechanism, or even some sort of
socket, may not be enough to run DNet.  DNet uses "Unix internal format"
sockets.  What you describe sounds like an emulation of internet sockets.
On the Apollo with SR9.7 (the source of my woes), the only supported socket
is internet protocol.  So just having somebody's idea of a socket in your
system may not get you where you want to go.

Yes, you could modify the source, but you could also port it to Sys.V.  :-)

pdg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Paul Gootherts) (01/23/89)

> >The HP 9000 Series 800 (HP-PA-based) has had sockets since first release
> >in 1987.  I don't know how long the HP 9000 Series 300 (68K-based) has
> >had sockets, but it's been a while.  I don't believe the HP 9000 Series
> >500 ever got sockets.
>
> 	Ah, the problems with generalizations...  Allow me to rephrase:
> I tried to compile Dnet on our HP9000 Ser. 500.  It gaged and barfed severly,
> and told me that it had absolutly no idea what a socket was.
>
> That better?

Sure.  I thought it was probably just a simple misunderstanding.  We
have our 300's and 800's on the same net with each other, as well as
VAXen and Sun's.  It all works fine.  In fact, I don't know how we'd use
X without it.

- Paul Gootherts, Hewlett-Packard Co, hplabs!hpda!pdg