[comp.sys.amiga] Sidecar and second HD.

osvenblad@abo.fi (01/19/89)

  Question Time!

    It is possible to have more than one HD controller in a Sidecar, and
 to let the A1000 access them all. I'm thinking about buying a
seagate ST4096 and and OMTI RLL controller (Is it possible to have an
RLL controller with the ST4096 ??) and put it in the Sidecar where I already
have an 32 Mb FileCard.
   Also ,  when will the new Janus 2.0 be out so I can run FFS ?

Ove.
Ove Svenblad.                |  Bitnet:    OSVENBLAD@FINABO
Abo Akademi                  |  Internet:  OSVENBLAD@ABO.FI
Finland                      |

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (01/22/89)

In Message <2768@abo.fi>, osvenblad@abo.fi writes:

>  Question Time!

   Answer Time ;-)

>    It is possible to have more than one HD controller in a Sidecar, and
> to let the A1000 access them all. I'm thinking about buying a
>seagate ST4096 and and OMTI RLL controller (Is it possible to have an
>RLL controller with the ST4096 ??) and put it in the Sidecar where I already
>have an 32 Mb FileCard.

  No its not possible. MS-DOS machines do not allow for more than one (1) HD
  controller per-machine. So you are limited to two (2) hard drives by MS-DOS
  and not the Amiga.

  Most hardcards use a fairly standard controller. Opening yours up might just
  reveal the extra port you need to add a 2nd HD to your system. I know my 2
  western digital hardcards allow it....

>   Also ,  when will the new Janus 2.0 be out so I can run FFS ?

  Can't say for sure because I don't work for CBM.

  Sneakers

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (01/22/89)

In article <5976.AA5976@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>  No its not possible. MS-DOS machines do not allow for more than one (1) HD
>  controller per-machine. So you are limited to two (2) hard drives by MS-DOS
>  and not the Amiga.

Wrong.  You may have more than one hard drive controller in a IBM-PC.  I've
got a SCSI drive and a ST506 controller in my AT, and I've put MFM and RLL
controllers in a number of PC's.  It may or may not be a straight-forward
operation, depending on exact hardware and dealer support.  The biggest
thing to watch out for is the memory mapped ROM-BIOS onboard the controllers.
They can't be in the same location.  (Obviously :-)

Since these controllers all supported more than two drives, you are not
limited to two by MS-DOS.  On the PC's, I ran *no* extra software.  It was
true-blue PC-DOS on true-blue PC's.

Sorry, but I don't know specifically about the Sidecar.  I would guess it
is possible (with appropriate controllers).

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (01/24/89)

In Message <721@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu>, jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) writes:

>In article <5976.AA5976@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
>>  No its not possible. MS-DOS machines do not allow for more than one (1) HD
>>  controller per-machine. So you are limited to two (2) hard drives by MS-DOS
>>  and not the Amiga.
>
>Wrong.  You may have more than one hard drive controller in a IBM-PC.  I've
>got a SCSI drive and a ST506 controller in my AT, and I've put MFM and RLL
>controllers in a number of PC's.  It may or may not be a straight-forward
>operation, depending on exact hardware and dealer support.  The biggest
>thing to watch out for is the memory mapped ROM-BIOS onboard the controllers.
>They can't be in the same location.  (Obviously :-)

  This is news to me (look of shock)!  Ive had several Messy-DOS machines that
  ive wanted to add more hard drives and could never get them to work.  I tried
  mixing Western Digital, Xebec, and other controllers - never any luck.

  Id be highly interested in receiving some mail with the details if you have
  time.

  Sneakers