[comp.sys.amiga] X11 for the Amiga

FUCHS@pucc.Princeton.EDU (Ira Fuchs) (01/21/89)

This is the scoop on X11 for the Amiga based on a conversation with the
developer Dale Luck. It is a server and client implementation of X11 R2
(he said he has R3 but has not yet ported it). It currently requires a
minimum of 1 Meg and can run on a single floppy based machine (A2000).
It requires an ethernet board from Ameristar (or from GfxBase, Dale's company
which OEM's boards from Ameristar). It runs on a standard Amiga monitor
at 640x400 interlaced (flicker-fixer desirable) or in overscan at whatever
that resolution is (7?? x 4??). It will also run on the megapixel Moniterm
display. Either way, it is currently monochrome only (color to come).
GfxBase can also sell you a 3 button optical mouse (or you can buy it
from Creative Computers) which is fairly useful for serious X users.
Dale also has working an implementation which runs over DECNET on a serial line
(i.e. no ethernet board) and it will run on an A500 but it assumes that the
other machine you are talking to is running DECNET. X-Windows for the Amiga
is distributed on 4 floppies and costs $295. X runs in a single AmigaDOS
window and there is no other integration with AmigaDOS. You can run multiple
servers each of which would run in its own DOS window.

P.S. The Ameristar ethernet board (which comes with the suite of TCP/IP softwar
e and NFS costs $899.

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (01/22/89)

In article <6956@pucc.Princeton.EDU> FUCHS@pucc.Princeton.EDU writes:
> runs in a single AmigaDOS
>window and there is no other integration with AmigaDOS.
 ^^^^^^
    +-------- really is it's own screen.

Just want to clear this up.

> You can run multipleservers each of which would run in its own DOS
>	 window.

	Again they are in there own screen.
	Also memory permitting that is.

>P.S. The Ameristar ethernet board (which comes with the suite of TCP/IP softwar
>e and NFS costs $899.

The X11 is still in beta test so we're  not prepared for orders yet.

We will be at the Connectathon in February if anyone is interested.
--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/24/89)

Anyone thinking of porting MGR to the Amiga when it is finished posting?

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (01/24/89)

From article <10957@s.ms.uky.edu>, by sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey):

> Anyone thinking of porting MGR to the Amiga when it is finished posting?
>
> Sean

Well, I've got all of MGR, but havent had the time to 'make' it yet. Has
anyone out there gotten MGR up and running yet?

If so, what are your thoughts...is it really 'that much better' than X11?
And if it is, why?

If it is really that neat, I'd consider looking into porting it, but I
would imagine that it takes quite a bit of disk space and memory...a big
problem for some people...

l8r daze,
bob

--
-=-=-=- Insert Standard Disclaimer Here, Please... -=-=-=-

/*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! *************/