[comp.sys.amiga] Graphic Conversion Digest long

andre@gtss.UUCP (Andre Frech) (01/25/89)

About a month ago in <291@gtss.UUCP> I posted a message which said:

>In selling the Amiga to corporate america we come across this all the time:
>are there any utilities on either the Amiga or associated systems (*BM, *AC,
>etc.) that will convert IFF/ilbm to and from formats such as Targa, GIF,
>and so forth.

>If I get good response I'll condense and post to the net.

Thank you for all the great responses!  Below you'll find a digest of
articles in answer to the above questions, plus comments from the editor
:-)  which are usually in brackets: [].

<Begin Graphics-Digest.Amiga>

From: Kenn Barry <mailrus!ames!eos.arc.nasa.gov!barry@gatech>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 88 13:23:12 PST

        Yes, there are. Utilities to display GIF pics on the Amiga, and
to convert IFF pics to GIF format, are available from Compuserve. These
are public domain utilities, and are also available from various BBSs. [...]
        For converting GIF to IFF, you just combine the GIF display
software with a utility that does screen captures; there are various
such utilities around.
        To convert to formats other than GIF (e.g., Targa), I would
first port the pic to the target machine as a GIF file, and then find a
utility to convert from GIF to the desired format on that machine. GIF
is designed to be a portable format, and makes a good middleman for
converting between any two arbitrary graphics formats.
        Hope this helps. The best GIF display utility for the Amiga I
know of is called HAMGIF, since it will use HAM mode to display GIF pics
having >16 colors. The best IFF->GIF converter is AMGIF. It will convert
an IFF/HAM pic to a 256-color GIF pic.

From: "M.Gardi - ICR" <uunet.UU.NET!watmath!watdcsu.waterloo.edu!mgardi@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 88 16:51:03 EST

Here at Mutual Life we use a program called HiJaak.  It allows you to
convert graphic files between the following formats:

PC Paintbrush (.PCX)
MacPaint (.MAC)
Amiga (.IFF)
[scanner] TIFF [actually TIF]
InSet (.PIX)
HP LaserJet (.HPC) [actually PCL]
Compuserve (GIF)

[additional note:  it will also support:

   Dr. Halo (CUT)
   FAX CCITT (FAX)
   GEM Paint (IMG)
   MS Paint (MSP)
   WordPerfect (WPG)

and output to Postscript.]

In addition, LOTUS (.PIC) or any ASCII text file can be used for input,
and you can generate PostScript output.

Unfortunately, it doesn't support HAM mode at the present time.

[In the Amiga version it will now support HAM, as well as conversion between
Aegis Draw format and IFF.  So I've been told; this can change.]

I can't comment on the quality of the package as I haven't personally used
it yet, but I've heard good reports from the guy who has.

The publisher is:

InSet Systems, Inc.
12 Mill Plain Road
Danbury, CT 06811
1-800-828-8088

Oh yeah, this is an MS-DOS application.

[This is the most promising commercial software I saw in this area.  They are
beta testing this package for the Amiga but are unsure of how to approach its
marketing.  I've used this package and like it, but that's all.]

From: seb@lns61.tn.cornell.edu (Selden E. Ball, Jr.)
Date: 27 Dec 88 22:00:00 EST

Freely redistributable
GIF picture file conversion utilities are available on
CompuServe for many of the popular (and not-so-popular) personal
computers and graphics adaptors. [...]

Selden E. Ball, Jr.
Cornell University                 Voice: +1-607-255-0688
Laboratory of Nuclear Studies        FAX: +1-607-255-8062
Wilson Synchrotron Lab            BITNET: SEB@CRNLNS
Judd Falls & Dryden Road        Internet: SEB@LNS61.TN.CORNELL.EDU
Ithaca, NY, USA  14853       HEPnet/SPAN: LNS61::SEB = 44283::SEB

From: swordfis@pnet51.cts.com (Tim Mitchell)
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 88 14:51:02 CST

There is a PD conversion utility called AMGIF that converts IFF HAM mode
graphics to GIF. There's also a lesser but effective PD utility called IFF2GIF
that accomplishes the same thing, but only on pictures with 32 colors or less.
On another note, I understand that the PC version of DeluxePaint II uses the
IFF format.

UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!swordfis
INET: swordfis@pnet51.cts.com

From: <FVEST@AUDUCVAX.BITNET>
Date:     Fri, 23 Dec 88 00:40 CST

In answer to your question, the answer is yes.  There are all sorts of
PD/FR programs which convert to/from GIF, Raedmac, SUN, etc.  You can
check out a good selection on BBS @ 205-745-3989 [...]

Floyd Vest
Auburn University
FVEST@AUDUCVAX.bitnet  {...!psuvax1!ducvax.bitnet!fvest}

[one of the more comprehensive software libraries I have seen to date!
thanks for the reference!  Posted later, on another day... (can you
say redundant?)]

From: <FVEST@AUDUCVAX.BITNET>
Date:     Thu, 29 Dec 88 20:38 CST

I take it since you logged on OK that you know the answer to this, but
recapping what you probably already found:

ST2AMY.ARC   Atari ST to Amiga conversion
GIFAMI.ARC   A set of GIF (IBM) to IFF manipulation tools
MACVIEW.ARC  Macintosh ReadMac picture displayer

In addition to these check also:

APPLE2IFF    on Amicus 12
HP2IFF       available for FTP @ swan.ulowell.edu

It seems as if I have seen a SUN2IFF, but can't recall where.

From: lauren@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Lauren Brown CATS)
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 88 12:54:59 est

Hi Andre. Vince Billotti (Amiga dealer out of NYC) has someone working
on Targa utilities. You can reach Vince at (212) 473-2443.

From: joe@cbmvax.cbm.commodore.com (Joe O'Hara)
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 89 14:03:58 est

[...]

    GIFfy              Displays GIF files on Amiga
    GIFScan            Examines a GIF file and reports its structure
    HamGIF             Displays GIF files on Amiga
    HamGIF.notes
    IFF2GIF            Converts IFF file to GIF
    MacView            Load/Display MacPaint or IFF; save either format
    READ.ME.FIRST
    ScreenX            Capture screen image to IFF file
    ScreenX.docs
    See/Show/SuperView Programs which display IFF files
    SuperView.doc

  Joe O'Hara                ||  Comments represent my own opinions,
  Commodore Electronics Ltd ||  not my employers. Any similarity to
  Software QA               ||  to any other opinions, living or dead,

--
<End Graphics-Digest.Amiga>

Thanks again for your help!  Now there's no reason why a picture can't paint
a thousand words on many computers.  Hope that this is useful to someone.

I want to know what you're feeling,      |   Andre Frech
Tell me what's on your mind ...          |   {uunet|allegra|rutgers...}
      -Information Society               |       !gatech!gtss!andre   or...