[comp.sys.amiga] VDK:

conn@stratus.UUCP (Avery Shealey) (10/20/87)

Could someone send me more information(binaries) on VDK:. I would
appreciate it.

Thanks,
Avery

Avery Shealey
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332
Internet:  conn@stratus.gatech.edu	 CSNet:  conn%stratus@gatech
UUCP:  ...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,seismo,ihnp4}!gatech!stratus!conn

mwm@eris.BERKELEY.EDU (Mike (My watch has windows) Meyer) (10/21/87)

In article <898@stratus.UUCP> conn@stratus.UUCP (Avery Shealey) writes:
<Could someone send me more information(binaries) on VDK:. I would
<appreciate it.

Not legally. The vdk:'s floating around are pirated beta test copies
of an unreleased commercial software package.

I talked with Neal about this a couple of weeks ago, and it sounded
like vdk: was actually going to show up in stores in the not to
distant future.

	<mike

--
Here's a song about absolutely nothing.			Mike Meyer
It's not about me, not about anyone else,		mwm@berkeley.edu

>I talked with Neal about this a couple of weeks ago, and it sounded
>like vdk: was actually going to show up in stores in the not to
>distant future.

	Seems a waste, considering that it isn't all that hard to write
something like VDK:... you just need documentation on DOS.

	Speaking of which, with or without ACTION_INFO I'm going to post
my sample DOS device driver in a day or two.  I'll post an update when I
get the information.

			-Matt

phillip@cbmvax.UUCP (Phillip Lindsay GUEST) (10/21/87)

in article <8710210644.AA16808@cory.Berkeley.EDU>, dillon@CORY.BERKELEY.EDU (Matt Dillon) says:

> 	Speaking of which, with or without ACTION_INFO I'm going to post
> my sample DOS device driver in a day or two.  I'll post an update when I
> get the information.
>
> 			-Matt
For the benefit of people trying to get AmigaDOS to do wonderful
things PLEASE POST! What problem are you having with ACTION_INFO?
Phillip (Flip) Lindsay - Wake up and watch CNN at: Heather Ridge Apts. #G-115
UUCP: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!phillip           Mantua, NJ 08051
No warranty is implied or otherwise given in the
form of suggestion or example. Any opinions found here are of my making.

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) (02/27/88)

Where do i get it.....

give me a phone number of a BBS that has it , or send me
 uuencoded ARC of it....
I have VD0: but i've heard that VDK: is better, still shareware,
and grows and contracts as files go into it....

am i correct???

Jonathan  P. Crone

Jonathan P. Crone
Vice President, AURA,  (Amiga Users of Regina Associated.)
(Regina, Sask. Canada )    (eh???)

CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET
....rutgers!mimsy!uunet!mcl!cronejp

come on now....  does ANYONE care about what i have to say?

ain@s.cc.purdue.edu (Patrick White) (03/02/88)

In article <8802262108.AA01299@jade.berkeley.edu> CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
>I have VD0: but i've heard that VDK: is better, still shareware,
>and grows and contracts as files go into it....

   I called the author a few months ago when I found a copy in our archives.
He told me that the beta-release (beta? I think it was) that had gotten out
was most definately *not* PD, or shareware, or anything else like that.  So
I dinked it from the archives (don't really know how it got out there anyway...
it wasn't in any of the indices or anything).

   I seem to remember someone mentioning that some memory board company was
distributing copies.. don't know what version or company it was though.

   As for the reliability of VDK:, the beta copy we had was buggy in that
sometimes it would toast files for no reason.

-- Pat White   (co-moderator comp.sources/binaries.amiga)
UUCP: k.cc.purdue.edu!ain  BITNET: PATWHITE@PURCCVM   PHONE: (317) 743-8421
U.S.  Mail:  320 Brown St. apt. 406,    West Lafayette, IN 47906

eric@hector.UUCP (Eric Lavitsky) (03/03/88)

In article <8802262108.AA01299@jade.berkeley.edu> CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET.UUCP writes:
>Where do i get it.....
>
>give me a phone number of a BBS that has it , or send me
> uuencoded ARC of it....
>I have VD0: but i've heard that VDK: is better, still shareware,
>and grows and contracts as files go into it....
>
>am i correct???

Better is a relative term...

VD0: grows and shrinks as you use it - it's memory management scheme looks
like this:

	Mount VD0: (say make it 2Meg)
		- Ok - the device set's up it's magic at the top end of
		memory. It allocates a small portion of memory up there,
		sort of it's root block and a little more. The size
		specified in the Mountlist simply determines what the
		*maximum* size of this VD0: can be. It does not allocate
		everything at once.
	Copy something into VD0:
		- Ok - the device will start allocating memory for the
		file blocks from the top end of memory down. Remember,
		any memory not being used by VD0: can be used for other
		applications. VD0: does everything possible to maintain
		it's memory allocation in a contiguous fashion from the
		top down. If some other application resides at the bottom
		of the current VD0: position, and VD0: needs more memory,
		it will allocate around that application. Note, however,
		that every so often, VD0: will check to see if that memory
		space has been freed and if so, will relocate it's data
		so as to keep itself contiguous. If there is no more free
		memory available, VD0: will return a read/write error.
	Delete something from VD0:
		- Ok, the device marks these blocks as deleted. Now, every
		200 or so accesses to VD0:, the device will free up the
		memory used by deleted blocks to the rest of the system.
		If you want to force this action, Perry provides the
		utility "CleanRamDisk" to do it (every 200 accesses really
		means every 200 references to data in VD0:, which is not
		too difficult to achieve in a short period of time).

Now, VDK: works much like the original RAM: disk - and is a handler much
like the original RAM: disk. It does not do any sophisticated memory
management, and will fragment memory to it's hearts content. It is much
faster than VD0:, because that is the nature of a handler over a device.
I believe VDK: is a commercial product available for $10 from Pacific
Peripherals.

Now, you make the decision which tradeoff you would rather have ...

>Jonathan P. Crone
>Vice President, AURA,  (Amiga Users of Regina Associated.)
>(Regina, Sask. Canada )    (eh???)

Eric

ARPA:	eric@topaz.rutgers.edu		 "Lithium is no longer available
UUCP:	...{wherever!}ulysses!eric	  on credit..."
	...{wherever!}rutgers!topaz!eric		- from Buckaroo Banzai
SNAIL:	34 Maplehurst Ln, Piscataway, NJ 08854

ken@umbc3.UMD.EDU (Ken Spagnolo ) (03/03/88)

Since I got no responses before, I'll ask again.

Does anyone know anything about GlobVec?  I can't use VDK: because the
mounlist sets this variable, which for me comes up undefined.  I suppose
I deleted something at some point (customizing has its hidden drawbacks)
that I now need.  VD0: works fine, but I always like to compare...
Thanx.

Ken Spagnolo
ken@umbc3.umd.edu

Disclaimer: VALIS made me do it.

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (03/04/88)

In article <8802262108.AA01299@jade.berkeley.edu> CRONEJP@UREGINA1.BITNET (Jonathan Crone) writes:
>Where do i get it.....
>
>give me a phone number of a BBS that has it , or send me
> uuencoded ARC of it....
>I have VD0: but i've heard that VDK: is better, still shareware,
>and grows and contracts as files go into it....

   VDK: is *NOT* (and never was) ShareWare or Public Domain, it is a
   commercial and copyrighted product. If you want to buy a copy contact
   Expansion Technologies at 415/652-2890.

>am i correct???

   You are now :-)

--
   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein
   Commodore AMIGA			ARPANET:  cbmvax!schein@uunet.uu.net

neil@mitsumi.UUCP (Neil Katin) (03/09/88)

>>give me a phone number of a BBS that has it , or send me
>> uuencoded ARC of it....
>>I have VD0: but i've heard that VDK: is better, still shareware,
>>and grows and contracts as files go into it....
>>
>   VDK: is *NOT* (and never was) ShareWare or Public Domain, it is a
>   commercial and copyrighted product. If you want to buy a copy contact
>   Expansion Technologies at 415/652-2890.
>
>>am i correct???
>>
>   You are now :-)
>>
>>Jonathan  P. Crone
>
>   Dan Schein		 uucp: {ihnp4|allegra|burdvax|rutgers}!cbmvax!schein

Almost right.  The real story about VDK (and I should know, because
I wrote it...) is that it is licensed to Expansion Technologies for
bundling with their ram board.  The don't really intend to distribute
it.  For a long time it has languished in legal limbo.  Within
the last few weeks I have cleared up who has rights to distribute
it.  The answer seems to be that we both do.

I'm working on a new version of VDK with some bug fixes, speed improvements,
and better memory allocation.  It should be available in about a month.

If you have a legal copy of VDK (and there are only about 400 of you
who do...) you should contact your distributor for an update.

If you WANT a legal copy, the price is $10, but I won't be sending
out any copies until the new release is ready (I only work on it
in my spare time).

If you want to know when it is ready, send a note to:

    Neil Katin
    102 Baintree Place
    Los Gatos, CA 95030

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (03/09/88)

        I received VDK: with my Pacific Peripherals mem. box.  It came with
the beta of VDK:.  I called Pacific Peripherals, and requested an update,
which they aggreed to send me and then never did.  Thus, while I have had no
problems with the box I also do not recommend it.

        I also spoke with the author, who has had difficulties with P.P. and
is really not supporting VDK any more.  He offered to send me a copy of the
release version if I sent him a disk, which I did.  Months have passed, NO
VDK!  (maybe it never made it to hime???)

        Thus I still have not gotten the release version.  However the product
is unsupported, so maybe VD0: is the way to go!

        Also, there is JD0:  (Joanne Dow's program), which may be better than
either VDK: or VD0:.  Unfortunatly, this is only available if you buy memory
box from the owning company (Microbotics ???).  Supposedly it should be
available by the end of summer as a product (or PD?).

        QUESTION: since I can't buy this program, would it be "immoral"
                    to pirate it and buy it when/if it comes out?  I have
                    had more than one opportunity to receive it (via you
                    pirates out on the net...thanks...but no thanks), and
                    I am sorely tempted.

                                                         Thanks,

                                                                Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

schein@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Schein CATS) (03/11/88)

In article <3221@mitsumi.UUCP> neil@mitsumi.UUCP (Neil Katin) writes:

>If you have a legal copy of VDK (and there are only about 400 of you
>who do...) you should contact your distributor for an update.

   I feel like im part of a real ELITE club with only 400 members :-)

--

haitex@pnet01.cts.com (Wade Bickel) (03/14/88)

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com writes:
>WHHHOOO!!
>I just read a message dated JUST A FEW DAYS ago by the Author of VDK:, Neil
>Katin. I got a copy with my Memory BOX (Escourt 2) manufactured by Expansion
>VERY well. Please do not blame VDK: for PP screw ups. VDK: as worked very
>well for me, and I intend to get the updated version with more features.
>The Author of VDK: said that folks could get info by writing to him
>directly... his address per his message is:  Neil Katin
>102 Baintree Place
>Los Gatos, CA. 95030
>
>VDK: is a fine piece of software, lets not tarnish a nice product! :>

        Neil Katin's posting appeared after my posting went out, both as
your site?

        I am still using my beta version of VDK:,  for any number of reasons
I find it preferable to VD0:.  However when I spoke to Neil his problems with
P.P. were less resolved than they evidently (from his posting) are now.  Since
I had not received the release version after over a month, I assumed that for
the forseeable future VDK: is effectivly unsupported.

        I was just about to convert my sytem to VD0: when Neil's posting
appeared, and I had hoped he would see my posting and I might receive a
release copy.  I certainly agree with you that VDK: is a fine peice of
software.  In fact, I've become so frustrated not being able to purchase it
(the release version) or aquire in legal manner that, given the opportunitity
I would now pirate it if I could! :^)

                                              Still looking for a non-beta
                                                  VDK:

                                                                Wade.

UUCP: {cbosgd, hplabs!hp-sdd, sdcsvax, nosc}!crash!pnet01!haitex
ARPA: crash!pnet01!haitex@nosc.mil
INET: haitex@pnet01.CTS.COM

MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) (01/12/89)

In my quest to find the a better working environment for my 1.5 meg A1000, I

have come across something that appears to be useful.  Recoverable ram-disks.
But I have some criticisms of the currently available recoverable ram-disks...

RAD is very reliable, but I like to be able to resize my ram-disk on the fly,
and I will often delete stuff out of a ram disk in order to run another
program.  VD0: is ok, but it runs at less than half the speed of the others.
I have come across a version of VDK: , beta test, by Neil Katin, which is
automaticaly resizing, and faster than VD0:, but it has a lot of bugs in it.
Does anyone know where I could get a newer version of VDK?  Can you give me
an address to send mail to?

Is it possible to make a re-sizeable RAD: type device?  That is, something
more reliable than VDK:, as fast as RAD:, and possibly able to reboot like
RAD:, and able to diskcopy to like RAD?  Or, how about recoverable Resident
commands?

Dennis Gorrie
'Happiness is a Warm Chain-Saw'

MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (01/22/89)

Nearly a month ago I posted questions regarding recoverable-ram-disks.
I found that for my set up (an A1000 with 1.5 meg) certain recoverable
ram disks were not useful to me.  I found RAD: to be a hindrance be cause
is not re-sizeable.  I found VD0: to be 2x or more slower than the others.

I found a 'Beta Test' of VDK on a BBS.  However, it seems that this
file may have been pirated.

>I guess occasionally we have to post a reminder... there NEVER was an
>official PD version of VDK:.  This was always a commercial (though a
>VERY low cost) product written by Neil Katin, once of Amiga Computer.
>At one point in time, when version 1.0 of the product was out, someone

Are you absolutely sure about this?  I found a 'beta test' of VDK on a BBS,
complete with docs.  It even includes a sample mountlist entry.
Neil Katin's copyright is in the VDK-handler as well.
Here is an excerpt from the doc file :

:This file: README.  Last Changed: 8 Jan 1987
:
:This is an beta test of the vdk "virtual disk" handler.  There are no
:known bugs, but the system has not been extensively used either.  Please
:report bugs to Neil Katin @ 408-866-5276.  Make sure you leave a phone #
:where I can call you.

Can you explain this?  At any rate, I have posted messages to
comp.sys.amiga for a month now inquiring an address to send for
the official version of VDK and I have only received another phone
number which was not answered when I phoned it.
An address would most appreciated.

Dennis Gorrie

             'Chain-Saw Tag... Try it, You'll Like it!'

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (01/24/89)

In article <8901221646.AA01207@jade.berkeley.edu>, MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET writes:
> Are you absolutely sure about this?  I found a 'beta test' of VDK on a BBS,
> complete with docs.  It even includes a sample mountlist entry.
> Neil Katin's copyright is in the VDK-handler as well.
> Here is an excerpt from the doc file :
>
> :This file: README.  Last Changed: 8 Jan 1987
> :
> :This is an beta test of the vdk "virtual disk" handler.  There are no
> :known bugs, but the system has not been extensively used either.  Please

As far as I remember, when Neil gave out his beta test versions, they
were given to folks he trusted not to distribute it further... this is
the whole idea behind beta testing, eh?

But I have here a path that is supposed to forward mail directly to
Neil (but no phone number to offer).  Try these paths and let us
know what happens:

Note that you need not only VDK: but also the patch for it, which
by now Neil may already have incorporated (patch is available on
People Link... best place I know to get PD stuff other than Fish).
Patch makes VDK: not respond "sorry, I am full" to info requests
about 'is there nuff space for this'.  The path that I have is:

	hplabs!pyramid!amiga!neil
		or
	uunet!cbmvax!amiga!neil

	whichever is easiest for you to trace.  Neil Katin's mail gets
	forwarded from amiga to SUN somewhere.  Good luck; VDK: at last
	time I knew, was only about $10.00.  Faster than VD0: and acts
	like RAM: rather than RAD: (not fixed size).

Rob Peck

Bruce_Eric_Bowers@cup.portal.com (01/25/89)

What is the difference between VDK: and VD0:? I've been using VD0: in
ignorant bliss for quite some time and have no complaints. Is VDK:
significantly faster?

The bottom line: Why would I want to switch to VDK:, and if you have
a good reason, how do I get a copy?

Thanks for your help with this.

Bruce Bowers     "The guy who needs no disclaimer"