[comp.sys.amiga] Request info from CBM

klm@wang7.UUCP (klm) (01/14/89)

I'm posting this for a friend who no longer has net.access.  Please respond
to me via e-mail.  Replies from CBM employees will be taken as gospel.
Replies from non-CBM employees will be taken with a chunk of rock salt.

A friend has nearly completed a commercial software product, well, ok,
a game, that he plans on publishing RSN.  He already has a potetial
publisher, but would like to get answers to the following:

	1)  He is not a "registered developer."  He had a real difficult
	    time getting this product developed and feels that life might
	    be easier (for his next one) if he was.

	    How does one go about getting "registered"?

	2)  What part(s) of the Workbench disk can he use legally to
	    distribute his game on?  This game runs under AmigaDos, i.e.
	    it doesn't take over the machine.  Can he distribute it on
	    a bootable disk with CLI commands?

AdThanksvance
--
Kevin McBride         Another  //     | A cure for AIDS has been found.
Wang Laboratories      Proud  //      | They've given it a Yamaha part

adam@cbmvax.UUCP (Adam Levin CATS) (01/24/89)

In article <2642@wang7.UUCP> klm@wang7.UUCP (klm) writes:
TEXT DELETED

>	    How does one go about getting "registered"?

First, a little clarification.  There are two groups of developers
supported by CATS (Commodore-Amiga Technical Support),
Certified developers and Commercial developers.

Certified Developers get a subscription to AmigaMail, discounts on hardware,
a $20 coupon towards the documentation CATS sells, etc.  The cost is $50 per
year with a $25 one-time registration fee.

Commercial developers get everything Certifieds get, plus: phone support,
prerelease copies of new system software (for development purposes only),
eligibility for prerelease product testing, access to closed commercial
conferences on BIX, etc.  The cost is $450 per year with a $50 one-time
registration fee.

Anyone may become a Certified developer, but applicants for Commercial status
undergo a review process to be certain that CATS can support their needs
and make the extra fee worthwhile.

Call (215) 431-9180 and ask to receive an application to become a developer.

>	2)  What part(s) of the Workbench disk can he use legally to
>	    distribute his game on?  This game runs under AmigaDos, i.e.
>	    it doesn't take over the machine.  Can he distribute it on
>	    a bootable disk with CLI commands?

Bravo!  I'm glad to hear of another multi-tasking game.
In order to include any of the Workbench files on the disk you sell, you
must obtain a Workbench license from CATS.  The cost is $100 per year.
Call the above number and ask to receive a Workbench license package.

>AdThanksvance
>--
>Kevin McBride         Another  //     | A cure for AIDS has been found.
>Wang Laboratories      Proud  //      | They've given it a Yamaha part
>Desktop Image Systems     \\ // Amiga | number so now noone can get it.
>...!ima!wang7!klm          \X/  owner |       - Motorcyclist Magazine

     Adam Keith Levin  --  CATS   Commodore-Amiga Technical Support
     1200 Wilson Drive / West Chester, PA  19380     (215) 431-9180
     BIX: aklevin        UUCP: ...{amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!adam

--
     Adam Keith Levin  --  CATS   Commodore-Amiga Technical Support
     1200 Wilson Drive / West Chester, PA  19380     (215) 431-9180
     BIX: aklevin        UUCP: ...{amiga|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!adam

adam@cbmvax.UUCP (Adam Levin CATS) (01/25/89)

After I posted my message about the support offered by CATS, I received
email from a programmer for Stanford University.  He took issue with my
statement that "Anyone can become a certified developer".  He sent in
his application and check and then heard nothing.  His application
must have gotten lost somewhere in the chain because we would have
responded to his request even if he had been turned down.
I have sent him email to inform him of this.

My use of the term "anyone" was a bit too broad; I should have said "anyone
developing marketable Amiga software" as that is how the application states
it.  I forgot that not everyone knows that CATS is a developer support program.

In any case, if you have sent in an application but heard nothing from
us; call or write and check on it!