[comp.sys.amiga] CLtd LazerXpress

svermeulen@Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA (Steve Vermeulen) (01/27/89)

> From: Ernie Gorrie <Ernie@egami.wimsey.bc.ca>
>
>         Does anybody on the Net know anything about the C-Ltd dumb
> laser printer mentioned in INFO mag. (#20, May/June '88 pg 22)?

  As the developer of Express Paint (a version of which is bundled
  with CLtd's printer) I guess I qualify as knowing something about
  it.

>         1.  Did it ever make it to market, or will it?

  It is in limited production at the moment.  As far as I know it
  is only available through Southern Technologies (214) 247-7373
  or directly from CLtd.  The name of the product is the LazerXpress.
  For hardware you get a CLtd SCSI controller card and the
  SCSI interfaced dumb laser printer (just like a NeXT printer
  but shipping now :-) (Amiga: the first nExt) which is capable of
  printing a full page of 300 DPI graphics in 10 seconds.

>         2.  The article refers to some software which will be
> specifically written for it.  Does this mean that _only_
> software written specifically for it will work?

  Currently the LazerXpress comes with Express Paint 3.0.29 (or there
  abouts) about 10 disks of fonts from CLtd's Jet Set font series
  (these expand to up to 30 Megs worth of fonts), and a standard
  Amiga printer driver that will handle text and graphics and
  has some additional neat features (like being able to print anything
  and leave the bitmapped image in memory for editing in Express Paint)

  Express Paint 3.0 is capable of editing the full laser printer page
  (both letter and legal sizes) at the 300 DPI resolution and will
  print such a page on the LazerXpress in 10 seconds flat.

  You also get an IOU for Publishing Partner Professional (when it
  becomes available...)

>         3. Any ideas on pricing?

  I believe that suggested retail price is under $2500 but this appears
  to be somewhat soft...

Stephen Vermeulen
Author: Express Paint
Newsletter Editor of AMUC