[comp.sys.amiga] Trashing case

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/23/89)

Why not just have the NFS server emulate the normal Amiga case-handling?
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (01/24/89)

In article <3317@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
->Why not just have the NFS server emulate the normal Amiga case-handling?

How?  Try "newcli", "NEWCLI", "Newcli", "nEwcli", etc., until it gets it
right?

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/25/89)

In article <45@snll-arpagw.UUCP>, paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
> In article <3317@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
> ->Why not just have the NFS server emulate the normal Amiga case-handling?

> How?  Try "newcli", "NEWCLI", "Newcli", "nEwcli", etc., until it gets it
> right?

Hell no. Just Examine(), then do a bunch of ExNexts until you get one to
match. How the Examine and ExNext's work over the net is pretty much
irrelevent.

You DO provide this functionality, don't you? I mean you can get a directory
of the nfs-mounted file system from the Amiga, no?
--

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (01/25/89)

In article <3328@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
->In article <45@snll-arpagw.UUCP>, paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
->> In article <3317@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
->> ->Why not just have the NFS server emulate the normal Amiga case-handling?
->
->> How?  Try "newcli", "NEWCLI", "Newcli", "nEwcli", etc., until it gets it
->> right?
->
->Hell no. Just Examine(), then do a bunch of ExNexts until you get one to
->match. How the Examine and ExNext's work over the net is pretty much
->irrelevent.
->
->You DO provide this functionality, don't you? I mean you can get a directory
->of the nfs-mounted file system from the Amiga, no?

You can certainly get a directory using "dir", or "ls", or other
utilities.  I have not tried to do Examine and ExNext within a
program, but I would expect it would also work.  However, the problem
is that since a Sun, for example, has case sensitive file names, I
could have the files "newcli" and "NEWCLI" stored on my server.  When
I do the Examine, how do I know which is the correct one?  Note that
this could never happen on the Amiga, because regardless of case,
since if I had the file "newcli", and then stored "NEWCLI", the file
would get overwritten.

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

deven@pawl.rpi.edu (Deven Corzine) (01/27/89)

I don't see what makes this so difficult to understand.  The answer
seems pretty obvious to me: first try the filename verbatim, and if it
can't find the file, then do the Examine() and ExNext() calls, and
find it if it is there, or return a file-not-found error.  Then, if
there is a NewCLI and a NEWCLI, "newcli" will find whichever happens
to appear first in the directory (ambiguous, yes, but that's the price
you pay for reusing names by changing case) while "NewCLI" will match
"NewCLI" and "NEWCLI" will match "NEWCLI".  Seems workable enough.
(Granted, this would be nicer done at a lower level, preferably with
some directory cacheing...)

Deven
--
------- shadow@pawl.rpi.edu ------- Deven Thomas Corzine ---------------------
Cogito  shadow@acm.rpi.edu          2346 15th Street            Pi-Rho America

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/27/89)

In article <46@snll-arpagw.UUCP>, paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) writes:
> is that since a Sun, for example, has case sensitive file names, I
> could have the files "newcli" and "NEWCLI" stored on my server.  When
> I do the Examine, how do I know which is the correct one?

Try for an exact match. If that fails go for the first in ASCII order, or
some such heuristic. Currently what Ameristar does is go for an exact
match, then go for a fully lowercased version... then fail.

Note that even with this heuristic will deal properly with case-conserved
files. If you keep trying instead of failing...