[comp.sys.amiga] Expansion Technologies hard drives

ANDYG@wwu.edu (Consultants of Swing) (01/25/89)

Hello everyone,

	It's finally time to expand my A1000 with memory and a hard drive.
I ordered a Spirit Tech RAM board yesterday (pant, pant -- can't wait!),
and I'm thinking about an Expansion Technologies hard drive (48MB, $879
from Go Amigo) or a 30MB SupraDrive.  Now, I know plenty of A1000 owners
who are quite happy with their SupraDrives, but I don't know anyone who
has had any experience with the E.T. drives.  Obviously, I'd rather get
one of those (more megs for my bucks) if their quality and performance
is comparable to the Supras.  Anyone out there have one of these puppies?
Any comments, good or bad?  Should I bag it and go for a Supra?  I did
speak to a guy at E.T. on the phone, and was assured (of course) that
the drives work great and are fully supported by the company (I'd hope
so!).  No 1.3 autobooting at this time, but there'll be an upgrade in
the near future ("hopefully under $100", he said).

	Any recommendations or warnings?

	Thanks for any input at all,

		Andy Gillcrist, WWU Computer Center
		andyg@wwu.edu  or  andyg%wwu.edu@relay.cs.net

		"Things fall apart -- it's scientific!"
					-- Talking Heads

pmy@vivaldi.acc.virginia.edu (Pete Yadlowsky) (01/25/89)

In article <7227@louie.udel.EDU> ANDYG@wwu.edu (Consultants of Swing) writes:

>I ordered a Spirit Tech RAM board yesterday (pant, pant -- can't wait!),
>and I'm thinking about an Expansion Technologies hard drive (48MB, $879
>Anyone out there have one of these puppies?

Yep. Spirit 1.5M and ET 48M. I've had the RAM for, oh, at least a year
and a half, the HD for almost 2 months.

>Any comments, good or bad?

So far, so good. Love that hard drive. Don't know how I managed with
two floppies for so long.

Peter M. Yadlowsky
Academic Computing Center
University of Virginia
pmy@vivaldi.acc.Virginia.EDU

rich@inmet (01/27/89)

] /* Written 11:33 pm  Jan 24, 1989 by mmdf@udel.UUCP in inmet:comp.sys.amiga */
] /* ---------- "Expansion Technologies hard drives" ---------- */
] so!).  No 1.3 autobooting at this time, but there'll be an upgrade in
] the near future ("hopefully under $100", he said).
]

Note that he probably means autobooting for the 500 version only.  I ordered
one from go amigo but cancelled it after waiting for 3 weeks.

Richard Man
#include <disclaimer>