[comp.sys.amiga] Using Amiga UUCP without useing long distance

davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (David Guntner) (01/24/89)

I've got a question of my own regarding Amiga UUCP:  How do you script things
so that you can use a service like PC-Pursuit to contact the host that you're
getting your News/mail from without dialing direct.  I know that FIDO has such
a thing, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that "regular" Usenet sites
can and/or are doing so.  So how do I do it with my Amiga?
                       --Dave

--
        David Guntner  UUCP: {ames, mit-eddie}!killer!davidg
                       INET: davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (01/26/89)

In Message <6901@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (David Guntner) writes:

>I've got a question of my own regarding Amiga UUCP:  How do you script things
>so that you can use a service like PC-Pursuit to contact the host that you're
>getting your News/mail from without dialing direct.  I know that FIDO has such
>a thing, and I seem to remember reading somewhere that "regular" Usenet sites
>can and/or are doing so.  So how do I do it with my Amiga?

 Currently the only method is to customize UUCICO.c as needed. There are plans
 to do a re-write of UUCICO in the future, im just not sure how soon though.

 You can of course still retain the stock UUCICO by simply naming your version
 as something else. Then change any script file(s) to call your new version.

 Sneakers

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (01/27/89)

In article <6084.AA6084@heimat>, sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:
> In Message <6901@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, davidg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (David Guntner) writes:
>>I've got a question of my own regarding Amiga UUCP:  How do you script things
>>so that you can use a service like PC-Pursuit to contact the host that you're
>>getting your News/mail from without dialing direct.  ...

>  Currently the only method is to customize UUCICO.c as needed. There are plans
>  to do a re-write of UUCICO in the future, im just not sure how soon though.

I don't know if Amiga UUCP has the expect-send-expect-send-style sequences
like real uucp (L.sys or Systems under HoneyDanBer), but UUPC on the Amiga
does and it is possible to hack up an expect-send line to dial over
PC Pursuit.  It ends up looking like:
....... ATDT2386124 CONNECT a\d in:-a-login: ID word: password @ C\sdial713/12 connected ATDT2378756 CONNECT login:--login: ID word: password

The main problem is that the number of things that have to work properly to
get through and the very limited ability of expect-send to retry means it
won't get through a lot.

Note that you'll have to be careful to insure you never call during the
day when the charges are like $35/hr.  If you use dcron, amicron or whatever,
to dial automatically, watch out for this.  Also, on PC Pursuit once I
detected (and reported to Telenet) hacking whereby a guy's program would
connect to my session before I had connected to the machine I wanted and
would simulate a login.  He couldn't get rid of the "connect from 138/40"
messages his victims received, but he counted on them being too dumb to
figure out what was going on.  The point is that his program would have
probably spoofed a expect-send line to giving up one's PC Pursuit login
and password.
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "We've been following your progress with considerable
-- karl@sugar.uu.net |  interest, not to say contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV