[comp.sys.amiga] Cheap

ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) (11/21/88)

Does anyone know how one such computer shop in TX can offer
complete hard drives, the SCSI host controller, the case,
the power supply, and the hard disk with prices like:
                       A500/1000        A2000
               20meg     $639           $539
               40meg     $799           $749
               65meg     $879           $799
This is 50% less than any other drives I've seen offered.

michael@nacom.NACNET (Michael Hullhorst) (11/22/88)

When it came time to outfit my A2k with additional byteage I looked around,
mostly with Computer Shopper, and found an outfit out of Arizona called
Hard Drives International in Tempe AZ 1-800-234-disk.  They sold me a
ST277N (SCSI) 64M drive for $489.00 ( this was 03/18/88 ).  You can get
a SCSI controller from C-Ltd for about $180, that and a little work you
can outfit your A2000 with some serious disk.  The price for A1000s will
of course be higher because of the additional equipment (ie power supply,
case, ect).

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (11/22/88)

In article <2570@m2-net.UUCP> ba@m-net.UUCP (Bill Allen) writes:
>Does anyone know how one such computer shop in TX can offer
>complete hard drives, the SCSI host controller, the case,
>the power supply, and the hard disk with prices like:
>                       A500/1000        A2000
>               20meg     $639           $539
>               40meg     $799           $749
>               65meg     $879           $799
>This is 50% less than any other drives I've seen offered.

These prices are not particularly low.  You can do better by shopping
around and building yourself.  For example, to add a HD to my A1000
cost me (approximate prices):

      $440  Seagate ST277N        (65meg SCSI)
      $115  Case and p.s.         (I splurged on this)
       $95  SCSI controller       (StarDrive)
       $20  2 Cables              (Some handiwork required)
	 ?  Amiga Boing nameplate

which is over $200 less than the price you posted.
I always study Computer Shopper mag to learn about prices..

-scott

pdg@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Paul Gootherts) (11/23/88)

>	$20  2 Cables              (Some handiwork required)

Please elaborate.  I need to get/make a cable to go from the back of an
ST-225N (50 pin ribbon) to either a 50 pin SCSI connector or a 25 pin
MAC connector.

What kind of cable do you run from your drive to your controller?  If
you built it from scratch, how did you find out what the pin connections
are?

- Paul Gootherts, Hewlett-Packard Co, hplabs!hpda!pdg

Re: SCSI cabling and wiring, the following contains some stuff I posted to
{comp.periphs, comp.sys.att, unix-pc.general} earlier this year.

This information was also reviewed by John Lohmeyer (Chairman of the ANSI
X3T9.2 SCSI Committee) who commented favorably on the diagrams; he also has
flamed Apple for their controversion of the SCSI specs (both in private
correspondence with me and publicly in a recent article in MAC WEEK).

In any event, here's the material; enjoy!

Thad Floryan [ thad@cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

======================================== BEGIN EXCERPTED MATERIAL:

Many systems supporting SCSI (Amiga, Mac, etc.) use a DB25 connector at
the host-adapter end to save real-estate; the SCSI devices themselves
use the "correct" 50-pin connectors (either Centronics 50-pin or the
dual-25 row kind).

The so-called "Mac System Cable" has a DB-25 on one end and a Centronics
50-pin connector on the other.  SCSI interconnects are 50-wire.

At the end of this posting are the pinouts of the DB25 and the 50-wire.

One thing I've noticed (after adding over 1GB HD and a Fujitsu 190MB tape
drive to my Amiga's SCSI bus) is that some device manufacturers take liberties
with SCSI wires 20,22,24,28,30, and 34; some tie these to ground, some tie
them to +5VDC, and some leave them (properly) unconnected.

Another caveat with multiple devices on a given bus is to be SURE that only
one is supplying +5VDC on SCSI pin 26 for terminator power.  Some mfrs provide
jumpers to enable/disable, some feed thru a diode, some feed the power out
"raw", and some do nothing.

What I do on my system is supply terminator power from the host adapter, and
use an external terminator at the END of the bus.

From my experience, what I suggest is that when you're making the cabling,
pull pins 20,22,24,26,28,30,34 from the connector that attaches to the embedded
SCSI drive and/or SCSI translator.  I've noticed that Apple's SCSI interconnect
cables do NOT pass pins 20,22,24,28,30,34 (for the reason I noted above).

Another observation I'd like to make is that MANY of the 3rd party consumer-
grade mfrs of SCSI HDs wire their boxes INCORRECTLY.  SCSI specs mandate no
more than a 10cm "stub" off the bus, yet many Mac-type drives I've opened up
(just gotta see what's in there! :-) have a 2" 50-wire connection joining the
two Centronics connectors continuing with a 15" stub to the 50-wire connector
on either an embedded SCSI drive or an Adapter 4000A or 4070 translator.  This
mis-wiring would account for the problems people have running a SCSI bus out
to 20 feet (I have no problems since I wired my systems correctly, and the
last device is 19' from the host adapter).   Remember: SCSI wiring is
supposed to be DAISY-CHAINED, per:

              WRONG:                                CORRECT:
        ____________________                   __________________
       /                    \                 /                  \
      []                    |                []                  |
       \                    \_DISK                               \_DISK
       /                                                         /
      []                                     []                  |
                                              \__________________/

      The "[]" is a 50-pin Centronics connector

SCSI Connector (DB-25)

Pin     Name
-------------
 1      REQ
 2      MSG
 3      I/O
 4      RST
 5      ACK
 6      BSY
 7      GND
 8      DB0
 9      GND
10      DB3
11      DB5
12      DB6
13      DB7
14      GND
15      C/D
16      GND
17      ATN
18      GND
19      SEL
20      DBP
21      DB1
22      DB2
23      DB4
24      GND
25      N.C. (or) Terminator Power

SCSI Connector (50 pin header)

Pin     Name          Pin     Name
-----------------------------------
 1      GND            2      DB0
 3      GND            4      DB1
 5      GND            6      DB2
 7      GND            8      DB3
 9      GND           10      DB4
11      GND           12      DB5
13      GND           14      DB6
15      GND           16      DB7
17      GND           18      DBP
19      GND           20      GND   <- caution: not always
21      GND           22      GND   <- caution: not always
23      GND           24      GND   <- caution: not always
25      N.C.          26      Terminator Power
27      GND           28      GND   <- caution: not always
29      GND           30      GND   <- caution: not always
31      GND           32      ATN
33      GND           34      GND   <- caution: not always
35      GND           36      BSY
37      GND           38      ACK
39      GND           40      RST
41      GND           42      MSG
43      GND           44      SEL
45      GND           46      C/D
47      GND           48      REQ
49      GND           50      I/O

SCSI PERIPHERAL BOX INCORRECTLY WIRED (LONG STUB):

             +------------------------------+
             |  _________                   |
             |_/       ^ \                  |
to/from bus -[_]       |  \                 |
             | \       |   \__[== periph.   |
             |_/       |                    |
to/from bus -[_]       |                    |
             |        stub                  |
             |                              |
             +------------------------------+

SCSI PERIPHERAL BOX CORRECTLY WIRED (DAISY-CHAINED, SHORT STUB):

             +------------------------------+
             |  ___________                 |
             |_/           \                |
to/from bus -[_]            \               |
             |               \[== periph.   |
             |_              /  ^           |
to/from bus -[_]            /   |           |
             | \___________/   stub         |
             |                              |
             +------------------------------+

       _
Each  [_]  is an IDC Centronics 50-pin connector

Each  [==  is an IDC dual-25 row connector

Note: ``IDC'' means Insulation Displacement Connector, the type whose parts
      are squeezed onto ribbon cable.

Final note: you'll save yourself a lot of time (and possibly grief) by
simply buying a so-called "Mac System Cable" (50-pin Centronics to 25-pin
DB25); the brand I use is Data-Spec (just as good and much less expensive
than the stuff from Apple and other 3rd party mfrs).

Thad Floryan  [thad@cup.portal.com  (or)  ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad]

ltf@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Lance Franklin) (11/26/88)

In article <11728@cup.portal.com> thad@cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>Final note: you'll save yourself a lot of time (and possibly grief) by
>simply buying a so-called "Mac System Cable" (50-pin Centronics to 25-pin
>DB25); the brand I use is Data-Spec (just as good and much less expensive
>than the stuff from Apple and other 3rd party mfrs).

I agree...I got mine from Connections Unlimited, Inc., here in Dallas.  Cost
me $14.95, I think...check the Computer Shopper for their address and phone
number.  I had to connect a Microbotics StarDrive interface (with a 25-pin
connector) to an Adaptec 4070 SCSI interface (with a 50-pin header).  I bought
one of these 25-to-50 pin MAC-SCSI cables, then went out and bought a 50-pin
flat-cable-type header, a Centronics-type connector that works with flat cable
and some 50-wire flat cable...made up a cable with the 50-pin header on one
side and the 50-pin centronics-type connector on the other.  The 50-pin header
plugged into the Adaptec, I mounted the 50-pin centronics connector to the back
of the HD case, plugged the 50-pin end of the MAC-SCSI cable into it, and the
25-pin end into the Microbotics interface...works perfectly, and cost me about
30 bucks for the whole cable setup.

Lance

--
+-------------------------+ +-----------------------------------------------+
| Lance T Franklin        | | I never said that! It must be some kind of a  |

In article <6080009@hpcupt1.HP.COM> (Paul Gootherts) writes:
>>	$20  2 Cables              (Some handiwork required)
>
>Please elaborate.  I need to get/make a cable to go from the back of an
>ST-225N (50 pin ribbon) to either a 50 pin SCSI connector or a 25 pin
>MAC connector.
>
>What kind of cable do you run from your drive to your controller?  If
>you built it from scratch, how did you find out what the pin connections
>are?
>- Paul Gootherts, Hewlett-Packard Co, hplabs!hpda!pdg

Building a SCSI cable is fairly straight forward, yet it requires some
manual dexterity and a good vice (smoking won't do :-)). The connector
on the back of nearly every SCSI *device* known to man is a 50 pin
parallel connector (2 rows of 25 pins) with a .1" pin spacing. The
device will have a male plug the cable will require a female socket.
An "insulation displacement" version of this connector will cost about
$6 list at Active electronics or an equivalent. The "external" connector
is specified by the SCSI standard to be a 50 pin "centronics type"
connector. These are both a bit more expensive and a bit tougher to
find. The local sales office of AMP sent me one as a sample, you
may have to go through Hamilton-Avnet or an equivalent electronics
distributor to get one. The single piece price of these varies, I
was quoted $10. Since there is often a minimum purchase from a distributor
you may end up buying more than one. (Arrow has a minimum purchase of
$25, the salesperson offered to put one, two or three connectors in the
box :-)) This connector will be a female I believe, since I don't have a
Mac cable handy I'm guessing. The final piece of the mystery is some
50 conductor flat cable. This stuff is usually gray with a red stripe
along one side of it. It will cost between $.50 and $1.50 a foot
depending on your supplier, often, from a surplus store,  you can buy a
"scrap" cable that uses 50 conductor ribbon cable, cut the ends off
and use the resulting length of cable in your new cable. If you use
this method you should check for "missing" conductors or damage to the
ribbon cable.

Now you have your three pieces, two connectors and a section of ribbon
cable. Carefully disassemble the 50 pin parallel connector and insert
the cable between the "back" and the sharp "spines" on the connector.
Note that the connector has an arrow or dot or the number 1 on the side
where the red stripe should go. Let some of the cable pass through so
that you have about 1/2" of cable on one side of the connector and the
rest on the other side. Now place the whole deal into the vice so that
closing the vice will squeeze the cable between the spines and the "back".
MAKE SURE that the cable is perpindicular to the connector and that the
spines all line up with conductors in the cable. Then, while keeping the
various parts in place, clamp the vice down on the connector. It will
"give" slightly when the spines displace the insulation, and the back of
the connector will "snap" into a holding position. When there is no
gap between the connector pieces and the cable give the vice an additional
quarter turn and count to ten. This will insure the connection. Now
remove the whole assembly and you will have something that from the
side looks like this :

			XXX      <- Connector back
------------------------XXX----- <- Excess Ribbon cable
			XXX      <-- Connector front.
			XXX

Using a pair of sharp scissors or an exacto knife cut off the excess cable,
fold the remaining cable over the back and attach the strain relief.

Do the exact same thing for the other connector on the other end.

Now you can connect this cable to your disk drive or what ever inside
the case and leave the 50 pin "centronics" type connector outside of
the case. If you need to go from this connector to a 25 pin Mac type
connector then by a Macintosh SCSI cable (off the shelf at about $19.95)
if you need to go from this connector to another 50 pin centronics
connector you can get a Macintosh SCSI "extension" cable off the shelf
and use it. I don't reccomend you build your own 25 pin -> 50 pin cable.

Good luck,

--Chuck McManis

nschultz@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Ned W. Schultz) (01/28/89)

The 256x4, 100 ns chips are part # MB81C4256-10.
From Advance Micro Technology in Santa Clara.  (408) 496-1122
$29-31, depending on the day you call!

Ned Schultz       nschultz@polyslo.calpoly.edu
                  polyslo!nschultz