[comp.sys.amiga] APL

ler@pnet02.cts.com (Larry Rosenman) (12/20/87)

The address for the Spencer Organization is:

The Spencer Organization, Inc.
366 Kinderkamack Road
P.O. Box 248
Westwood, NJ  07675

(201) 666-6011

They are the marketers for APL.68000 for The Mac, Amiga, and the Atari ST, as
well as a Co-processor Board and Multiapl for the IBM Pee Cee.

NOTE: I have no affliation with The Spencer Orgfanization except as a happy
customer.

--
Larry Rosenman
INTERNET:     ler@pnet02.CTS.COM

davids@utstat.uucp (David Scollnik) (12/21/88)

Howdy. Is anyone able to recommend an APL package for the amiga ?

If you post your response on or after Dec. 22, please email a copy
to me at the address below (or just email anytime). I'll be out of
town for a few days starting then, and will likely miss the posting
otherwise.

Thanks a whole lot in advance.

--
  David P.M. Scollnik         |   UUCP:   utstat!davids
  University of Toronto       |  bitnet:  davids@utstat.utoronto

fullmer@dover.uucp (Glen Fullmer) (12/22/88)

In article <1988Dec20.233740.7059@utstat.uucp> davids@utstat.uucp (David Scollnik) writes:
>Howdy. Is anyone able to recommend an APL package for the amiga ?
>...etc...
>  David P.M. Scollnik         |   UUCP:   utstat!davids

I don't think you have a great deal of choice (at least commercially)!

		APL.68000
		Spencer Organisation Inc.
		P.O. Box 248
		Westwood
		N.J. 07675
		(201) 666 6011

This has been an unpaid commerical announcement!

--
  _____     _  "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence"
 {____/    //  "over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled."

STETNERD@UREGINA1.BITNET ("Douglas G. Stetner") (01/23/89)

I am after an APL package that I saw many moons ago in an amiga mag.
It was advertised for about $99 US.  Anyone remember this?

Thanks
Doug

davids@utstat.uucp (David Scollnik) (01/24/89)

  Doug ( and any other interested souls ) ...

  The apl package you are probably referring to is APL.68000,
  which is distributed through

    The Spencer Organization, INC.,
    366 Kinderkamack Road,
    P.O. Box 248,
    Westwood, New Jersey,
    07675  ,                    tel : 201-666-6011   .

  This is supposed to be THE premier apl package about for the amiga.

  The retail WAS 99 us, but has jumped in the last month or two
  to 149 us dollars. Approx 10-15 us dollars more if you are in
  Canada. (So what about free trade ?).

  How do I know all this ?

  I ordered this same package 6 days ago,
  and it arrived at my Toronto doorstep this afternoon.

  If you want more details re: user friendliness etc, let me know.
  In a week or so I might have some answers.

--

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (01/25/89)

In article <8901230419.AA04466@jade.berkeley.edu> STETNERD@UREGINA1.BITNET ("Douglas G. Stetner") writes:
>I am after an APL package that I saw many moons ago in an amiga mag.
>It was advertised for about $99 US.  Anyone remember this?
Yes it is the Spencer Groups APL. My brother has it. It is an
extremely good apl in and of itself, comes with a well-written manual,
works fine with expansion memory (we have run it with 5 meg) and
is VERY fast. In addition the integration with the amiga is extremely
good, with sound, gadgets, menus, file io, windows, screens ...
They did a hell of a nice job, leaving me wondering just what went
wrong with Amiga Basic, now in its third year and still a piece of s**t.
   I really recommend this APL very highly. A good APL, and a
GOOD amiga program, and a good, fast interpretive language.
ron

mjw@f.gp.cs.cmu.edu (Michael Witbrock) (01/29/89)

The APL in question is, of course, MicroAPL 68000.
It is, in general, a good APL, but (a little contrary to the reports of
others), there are some severe deficiencies in its interface with intuition
which make it a little difficult to use.

To give an example: it allows you to put a resize gadget on a window,
and merrily to resize it to your heart's content; HOWEVER, there is no way
to find out the new size of your window. NONE. That makes resizing pretty damn
useless, in my opinion. There is a method of hacking c routines into APL to
fix these types of problems, but the documentation is completely opaque (or at
least it was to me). Spencer don't know beans about the package, so a call to
the UK is probably needed to sort this out. If anyone learns how to add to
APL 68000 this way, I'd love to hear.

There are also some screwed up things to do with the user interface (e.g. having to retype the name of a fn to a requester every time you edit it.)

Apart from that, it's a very nice package, which I'd recommend, it's fast, and
appears to be reasonably free of bugs. It multitasks properly etc etc.
A couple of upgrades and it'd be an excellent package.

michael

--
Michael.Witbrock@cs.cmu.edu mjw@cs.cmu.edu                          \
US Mail: Michael Witbrock/ Dept of Computer Science                  \