[comp.sys.amiga] 1001 questions

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (01/20/89)

I have some questions here for the networld:

* I have seen that the "normal" (non-Un*x) A2500 is on sale in the US.
  What's the price? Have they started selling the A2620 card separately
  yet? What's the price? Will a US version of the card work in a PAL
  B2000? (could never be too sure...). What's the specs? From articles
  it seems like there is two cards, one with '20, 1,5 MB RAM and a socket
  for a FPU. The other should be '20, FPU, MMU, 2 MB RAM and an extra
  chip used by the Un*x OS.
* Are there any other good '20 or '30 cards to buy in USA or Germany?
  Specs? Price?
* What's the price for the '286 BridgeBoard? Is it available yet? (here
  in Sweden Commodore says all got lost at the Airport).
* I have a B2000 with 3 MB RAM. How could programs use this memory
  together with 2 MB 32-bit RAM on an A2620 card?
* Will the new graphics chips (1 MB chipmem, more colours etc.) ever
  come out? When? Price?
* I read some months ago (on the net) that CBM had some items you could
  use if you are thinking of programming on the Amiga. One thing was the
  1.2 Native Developers Kit, with 1.3 due out soon. How soon will it come?
  Price? How to order? What else is there?

In article <4254@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>* I have seen that the "normal" (non-Un*x) A2500 is on sale in the US.
>  What's the price? Have they started selling the A2620 card separately
>  yet? What's the price? Will a US version of the card work in a PAL
>  B2000? (could never be too sure...). What's the specs? From articles
>  it seems like there is two cards, one with '20, 1,5 MB RAM and a socket
>  for a FPU. The other should be '20, FPU, MMU, 2 MB RAM and an extra
>  chip used by the Un*x OS.

	All have a 68020, 68881 FPU, MMU, and 2meg of 32-bit ram.  The
2500UX _I believe_ will have 4 Meg.  All A2500's can be upgraded to 4 meg.
Note that I am a programmer, not a marketing person, so ask your dealer
for more info.

>* I have a B2000 with 3 MB RAM. How could programs use this memory
>  together with 2 MB 32-bit RAM on an A2620 card?

	It's all ram, and the system will see (and use) it all.  Of course,
many "take over the machine" games don't notice expansion ram at all...

>* I read some months ago (on the net) that CBM had some items you could
>  use if you are thinking of programming on the Amiga. One thing was the
>  1.2 Native Developers Kit, with 1.3 due out soon. How soon will it come?
>  Price? How to order? What else is there?

	Contact the local CBM people, or Commodore Amiga Technical Support,
1200 Wilson Dr, West Chester, PA 19380, USA, for more information.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (01/27/89)

:
:	All have a 68020, 68881 FPU, MMU, and 2meg of 32-bit ram.  The
:2500UX _I believe_ will have 4 Meg.  All A2500's can be upgraded to 4 meg.
:Note that I am a programmer, not a marketing person, so ask your dealer
:for more info.

  The problem is that a typical dealer here barely knows what an Amiga is.
  A 68020 card is considered black magic, non-existent, or whatever. That's
  why I'm thinking of buying something from USA or Germany. I have a little
  "sponsored account" from my company for Amiga hardware, and I'm thinking
  of what to buy. Either an accelerator card, some colour digitizing
  equipment (from colour video camera, PAL) or the famous Video Toaster.
  Any info will be appreciated.

:
::* I have a B2000 with 3 MB RAM. How could programs use this memory
::  together with 2 MB 32-bit RAM on an A2620 card?
:
:	It's all ram, and the system will see (and use) it all.  Of course,
:many "take over the machine" games don't notice expansion ram at all...

  What I meant to ask, was this: How do I get best performance, so that
  the faster 32-bit RAM will be used first? And are these two (three)
  RAM's mergeable? (I have a standard Commodore 2Meg card)

:
::* I read some months ago (on the net) that CBM had some items you could
::  use if you are thinking of programming on the Amiga. One thing was the
::  1.2 Native Developers Kit, with 1.3 due out soon. How soon will it come?
::  Price? How to order? What else is there?
:
:	Contact the local CBM people, or Commodore Amiga Technical Support,
:1200 Wilson Dr, West Chester, PA 19380, USA, for more information.
:
:--

In article <4271@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>In article <5753@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>  The problem is that a typical dealer here barely knows what an Amiga is.
>  A 68020 card is considered black magic, non-existent, or whatever. That's
>  why I'm thinking of buying something from USA or Germany. I have a little
>  "sponsored account" from my company for Amiga hardware, and I'm thinking
>  of what to buy. Either an accelerator card, some colour digitizing
>  equipment (from colour video camera, PAL) or the famous Video Toaster.
>  Any info will be appreciated.

	The famous Video Toaster is on hold due to ram prices.  They hope
to realease it if and when ram becomes reasonable.  In the mean time, they're
doing some work to refine the Toaster even more, adding new features, etc.

>  What I meant to ask, was this: How do I get best performance, so that
>  the faster 32-bit RAM will be used first? And are these two (three)
>  RAM's mergeable? (I have a standard Commodore 2Meg card)

	The 32-bit ram auto-configs before other expansion ram, so just
run FastMemFirst (from the 1.3 WB disk) and 32-bit ram will be used first.
You can merge the 2 Meg board with the 2/4 Meg of 32-bit ram if you want
to, they should autoconfigure next to each other.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup