From: denbeste@com.bbn
Subject: Getting stuff onto HD
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 89 21:56:00 -0500

I do my transfers of stuff to/from Usenet with a modem and "kermit" (using the
PD "vt100" program). It's slow, but reliable and doesn't depend on any hardware
at the office except a dialup.

    Steve Den Beste

==================================
From: rpa@uk.ac.ukc
Subject: Re: Loading files onto your Amiga
Date: Sat, 21 Jan 89 17:15:03 GMT

 What I do at work is write the stuff onto a 3.5inch MSdos disk, then
take it home and us a commercial piece of software called D2D [Dos-2-Dos]
to read it.
	Works a treat.

(D2D will also write IBM floppies so you can go both ways)

	Richard.

==================================
From: mk59200@fi.tut
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 18:19:09 +0200

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales):
> This question must have been answered at some point, but I'm a new
> kid on this block, so I thought I'd ask anyway.
>
> The following possible options occur to me, listed in order of
> decreasing preference:
>
> 	1) write AmigaDOS disks here at the office and take those home
> 	   for loading -- we only have HP 9000s and PCs here capable
> 	   of writing 3.5" disks, but I'm prepared to write a program
> 	   to write AmigaDOS disks if one doesn't exist and it seems
> 	   feasible;

Standard floppy controllers used in PCs cannot write in Amiga format
(11 sectors/track, no inter-sector gaps), so this is close to impossible.

> 	2) write 3.5" DomesDos disks at the office and read them using
> 	   some Amiga/PC utility at home -- this seems the most plausible;

Yes, this is the easiest way, I have used a program called Dos2Dos
that can read, write and format 720K MSDOS disks in Amiga. It's a commercial
product, by Central Coast Software.

> So; how do *you* get stuff onto your Amiga?

I used DNET to transfer files from our Suns to a local A500, but
then they upgraded our systems to SunOS 4 and DNET stopped working...
Now I'm using either Kermit (unbelievably slow at 9600 bps) or
Dos2Dos.

	Markku Kolkka
	mk59200@tut.fi

==================================
From: Kevan Gelling <ekg@uk.ac.warwick.cs>
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 89 19:47:40 GMT

I transfer my files from UNIX to PC via Kermit (in binary mode) onto 5.25"
disks. I then send these disks from home where a friend puts them on 3.5"
MSDOS disks. These are sent back and using a program on Fish Disk 158 I
transfer these to AmigaDOS.
It takes a long time, is very long winded and can often result in corrupt
data files - but I can't afford a more efficient way (anyway it would remove
all the fun :-).
The PC Kermit I use is VERY slow and the MSDOS to AmigaDOS program only
copies one program at a time and then calls it 'MS DOS.file'. Also copying it
to a MSDOS disk means the file names have to be reduced to <8chars>.<3chars>
in length.

It would be a lot easy to use a modem.

-----------+--------------------------------------+--------------------------
      //   | Kevan Gelling   ekg@cs.warwick.ac.uk |  University of Warwick
  \\ //    |--------------------------------------+  Coventry
   \X/     | #include <witty comment.h>           |  England
-----------+--------------------------------------+--------------------------
==================================
[replies end]

I've decided to buy Dos-2-Dos and use that, exploiting the networked
PCs we've got here to bridge the gap between newsgroups and DomesDos disk.
(For the benefit of non-UK people: Domesdos is a disinfectant, and as such is
usually thrown down toilets -- we think it's appropriate.)  Regarding the
people who suggested using modems; thanks, but no -- I value my money
too much to shovel it down the 'phone at BT when there's a reasonable
alternative.

[Dos-2-Dos is available from most reasonable software vendors who have
useful Amiga programs hidden among the stacks of games.  It is produced by
Central Coast software in the States -- I can provide direct ordering
information if it's really needed by anyone.]

To everyone who mailed with suggestions: I thank you, my Amiga thanks
you, and my wallet grunts disparagingly, as one might expect of a wallet.
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217