[comp.sys.amiga] Sculpt3d file format requested.

edavies@uvicctr.UUCP (edavies) (01/28/89)

Surf has been modified to write a list of vertices to a file.
With the use small translating programs, the list of vertices can be
massaged into an object description for various modelers, etc.

The translators are pretty simple, but they do require that the author know
the file formats of the destination modeller. I have a translator to write
Vide*Scape3d files.

I would like to produce a translator for Sculpt*d as well, if somebody could
tell me what Sculpt*d's file format is (script file formats preferred over IFF
type formats if Sculpt*d uses both). (I tried to ask one party but my mail
messages kept bouncing, returned after being held 3 days somewhere).

Possible enhancements/fixes to Surf before its next release:
    1- Do a "reverse depthsort" when mapping images onto surfaces, reducing the
       computation time when one surface patch obscures another.

    2- Find out what causes the edges of surface patches in a mapping to get
       scarred.

    3- Find whatever caused it crash on some machines running 1.2 when
       compiled under lattice.

Thanks in advance,

	Eric Davies.

Email:
		edavies%sol.UVic.ca@ubc-relay.ca
		edavies%csr.UVic.ca@ubc-relay.ca
		edavies%uvicctr.UVic.ca@ubc-relay.ca
Snail mail:
		1442 Harrop Rd
		Victoria, B.C.
		Canada, V8P 2S6
Channelling:
		Ask for Hunk-Ra

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (01/31/89)

In article <610@uvicctr.UUCP> edavies@uvicctr.UUCP () writes:
>Surf has been modified to write a list of vertices to a file.
>With the use small translating programs, the list of vertices can be
>massaged into an object description for various modelers, etc.
>
>The translators are pretty simple, but they do require that the author know
>the file formats of the destination modeller. I have a translator to write
>Vide*Scape3d files.
>
>I would like to produce a translator for Sculpt*d as well,
>
>	Eric Davies.
>		edavies%sol.UVic.ca@ubc-relay.ca

Or you could just contact Syndesis and get Interchange. It translates
objects between many of the different modelers such as videoscape, sculpt3d,
turbo-silver, forms-in-flight. Syndesis can be reached
at:  (from the manual)

Syndesis
20 West St.
Wilmingtonm Mass. 01887
508-657-5585

I am not connected with Syndesis in any way except that John Faust
lives near my home town in Wisconsin.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale