[comp.sys.amiga] C++ and CLTD.

youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) (01/25/89)

Two qustions:
1) Can someone tell me what compiler version comes with C++ from Lattice.
   I have not upgraded to ver5.0 yet and was thinking of getting C++ and
   want to know if I do get C++ do I also need to get the 5.0 upgrade or
   does it come with it?? I can't seem to get ahold of the right people
   at Lattice to give me an answer. If the 4.? version does come with the
   C++ package then is there any advantage to upgrading to 5.0? I mean
   will C++ take advantage of the new features?

2) Does anyone know anything about the new SCSI controller for the A1000
   from CLTD? I understand it is due out in about a month and will be
   pretty fast. I thought I would buy one and would appreciate any comments
   from anyone in the know.

					Thanks,
					Bret

ARPA:    youngb@eg.ecn.purdue.edu
UUCP:    youngb@pur-ee.uucp

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (01/26/89)

From article <10406@pur-ee.UUCP>, by youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young):
> 1) Can someone tell me what compiler version comes with C++ from Lattice.

     Lattice C++ is a pre-processor which requires you to have a C
compiler.  To my knowledge, the C compiler is not included with C++, you
have to buy it separately.

     The upgrade to version 5.0 is worth it, if only for the source level
debugger.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) (01/27/89)

in article <551@jc3b21.UUCP>, fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) says:

> From article <10406@pur-ee.UUCP>, by youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young):
>> 1) Can someone tell me what compiler version comes with C++ from Lattice.

>      Lattice C++ is a pre-processor which requires you to have a C
> compiler.  To my knowledge, the C compiler is not included with C++, you
> have to buy it separately.

Wrong on both counts.  CPP is a pre-processor, C++ ("cfront" in AT&T and,
naturally, Lattice implementations) is a translator.  Of course, unless
you're really worried about the technical definitions of such things from
a computer science point of view, the end result is the same -- you need
a C compiler as a back end for Lattice's C++.  Fortunately, for those
who don't have one, the Lattice package does include the Lattice 4.01
compiler, so the Lattice C++ package is a stand-alone C++ package.  The
package isn't intended to as well be a stand alone C package, so it doesn't
include full docs, C include files, or much of anything else detailing
the use of the Lattice 4.01 compile on it's own.

>      The upgrade to version 5.0 is worth it, if only for the source level
> debugger.

Lattice 5.0 also seems to kick some serious butt, speed-wise.  As soon as I
get my own copy, I'll see how well it works as a back end to C++.

--
Dave Haynie  "The 32 Bit Guy"     Commodore-Amiga  "The Crew That Never Rests"
   {uunet|pyramid|rutgers}!cbmvax!daveh      PLINK: D-DAVE H     BIX: hazy

jac@ssibbs.UUCP (James Crotinger) (01/27/89)

In article <10406@pur-ee.UUCP>, youngb@pur-ee.UUCP (H. Bret Young) writes:
> Two qustions:
> 1) Can someone tell me what compiler version comes with C++ from Lattice.
>    I have not upgraded to ver5.0 yet and was thinking of getting C++ and
>    want to know if I do get C++ do I also need to get the 5.0 upgrade or
>    does it come with it?? I can't seem to get ahold of the right people
>    at Lattice to give me an answer. If the 4.? version does come with the
>    C++ package then is there any advantage to upgrading to 5.0? I mean
>    will C++ take advantage of the new features?
>
> UUCP:    youngb@pur-ee.uucp

  Currently the C++ package comes with v4.0 of the compiler and I don't
believe there are any plans to change that. Also, the C++ package does
not contain everything required to do C programming, for instance the
C header files (LC would definitely not like the C++ header files).

  C++ will make use of v5.0 of the compiler since it just calls LC1 and LC2
after the translator is finished. If you want to make use of the optimizer,
however, you have to bypass CC, and do the entire routine by hand (cpp,
cfront, lc1, go, lc2, blink, yawn...). Of course lmk could make this
trivial.

  I don't know if C++ owners get a price break on 5.0 or not. I don't
think they do, though I think they should.

  Jim

--

                               Jim Crotinger
                               crotinger%mit.mfenet@nmfecc.arpa

In article <551@jc3b21.UUCP>, fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) writes:
>      Lattice C++ is a pre-processor which requires you to have a C
> compiler.  To my knowledge, the C compiler is not included with C++, you
> have to buy it separately.

   The Lattice C++ product includes: cfront 1.2a, cpp (preprocessor),
cc (a front end, like lc, that runs everything automagically), C++
versions of the Amiga include files, and version 4.0 of the Lattice C
compiler (LC, LC1, LC2), as well as a new version of blink. Only a
small subset of the Lattice C lib directory are included. So, everything
that is required to compile C++ code is included, but there is not enough
there to support C development.

  Jim

--

scott@applix.UUCP (Scott Evernden) (01/27/89)

In article <5828@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:
>Lattice 5.0 also seems to kick some serious butt, speed-wise. ...

Being suspicious of Lattice's speed claims in their latest ads
(Amazing Computing), I tried 5.01 (current updates are on BIX) on
Dhrystone 1.1.  Using all the tricks, I was able to hit 1724
dhrystones on my '010 A1000.

This makes my machine 1/2 a Sun3.  wowzer...

-scott

sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) (01/28/89)

In article <5828@cbmvax.UUCP> daveh@cbmvax.UUCP (Dave Haynie) writes:

> Lattice 5.0 also seems to kick some serious butt, speed-wise.  As soon as I
> get my own copy, I'll see how well it works as a back end to C++.

By the way, is anyone out there working on defining an object-oriented
C++ interface to Intuition, AmigaDOS, the ROM Kernel, etc.?  That is,
a C++ class/inheritance hierarchy that defines interfaces to such
Amiga "objects" as windows, tasks, etc.?

Steven Litvintchouk
MITRE Corporation
Burlington Road
Bedford, MA  01730

Fone:  (617)271-7753
ARPA:  sdl@mitre-bedford.arpa
UUCP:  ...{att,decvax,genrad,ll-xn,philabs,utzoo}!linus!sdl

	"Those who will be able to conquer software will be able to
	 conquer the world."  -- Tadahiro Sekimoto, president, NEC Corp.

jac@ssibbs.UUCP (James Crotinger) (02/01/89)

In article <43927@linus.UUCP>, sdl@linus.UUCP (Steven D. Litvintchouk) writes:

> By the way, is anyone out there working on defining an object-oriented
> C++ interface to Intuition, AmigaDOS, the ROM Kernel, etc.?  That is,
> a C++ class/inheritance hierarchy that defines interfaces to such
> Amiga "objects" as windows, tasks, etc.?

  The package comes with a full set of include files that have been
massaged somewhat to take advantage of C++'s abilities. Many things
like the Window and Screen structures have been redefined as classes.
However the classes only hide a couple of variables. This was done so
that the system still works basically like C programming does. It would
definitely be more in the C++ vein to hide all the data in these structures
and provide accessor functions to access those which a program should
be able to modify. Also, not only is their the issue of compatibility
with existing C practices, but cfront takes a bunch of memory to compile
large complicated classes, and to make that the default would have
(according to Tim Holloway) upped the minimum memory requirement (which
is already 1.5 Meg). There are a few example classes in the
cpp_include/cplus directory which are derived from more basic classes.
One example is a console window which you can write to and read from
with the io stream functions, << and >>. Neat, but I wish there was
more.

> Steven Litvintchouk

   Jim