[comp.sys.amiga] CygnusEd Pro

lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) (01/28/89)

	I recently purchased CygnusEd Pro and think that it is really great.
I do have a few complaints about it and perhaps someone (like Perry?) could
address.  If these quirks are operator error do not hesitate to let me know!

1> Does not preserve script bit.
2> Search and jump windows do not appear under/near mouse pointer as
   advertised.  Other windows do.
3> I wish HOTKEY remembered the file previously loaded (and reloaded it).
4> When keypad==movement is active the following events count as 'changes':
   end-of-line, start-of-line, page-up, page-down.  Weird.
5> Miscellaneous typos in manuals (I could supply a list of the ones I
   found if it would help).

	To repeat: IT IS ANOTHER QUALITY ASDG PRODUCT!  Due to the fine
reputation of ASDG I expect these quirks will be addressed.

Disclaimer: I'm just a guy, not affiliated w/ASDG except as a happy customer.

John Lindwall
lindwall@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) (01/30/89)

In article <3443@sdsu.UUCP> lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) writes:

>	I recently purchased CygnusEd Pro and think that it is really great.
>address.  If these quirks are operator error do not hesitate to let me know!
>1> Does not preserve script bit.

True. When CEDPro started shipping the script bit didn't exist yet :-). This
will be addressed in the next release.

>2> Search and jump windows do not appear under/near mouse pointer as
>   advertised.  Other windows do.

While it is true that these two requesters don't appear under the mouse when
brought up (and true the others do in fact appear beneath the mouse) these two
requesters in particular do not need to appear under the mouse.

The line jump requester comes up with the integer gadget already active so
simply hitting return will abort the request or typing in a number and hitting
return will cause the editor to skip directly to that line. No mouse interaction
required.

The search and replace requester also needs no mouse interaction. The two
string requesters in the replace requester can be toggled between by shift-ret.
Each of the search options (boolean gadgets) can be toggled from keyboard
commands as well.

To wit: Amiga-c for Case Sensitivity (toggle)
        Amiga-w for Wile Cards (toggle)
        Amiga-f for Forward searching (toggle)
        Amiga-o for Only word searching (toggle)

>3> I wish HOTKEY remembered the file previously loaded (and reloaded it).

If this is what you want...then simply don't quit the editor. Just move on
to whatever screen you'd like to work on and then at any time hit the hot
start key sequence and...presto...right where you left off.

>4> When keypad==movement is active the following events count as 'changes':
>   end-of-line, start-of-line, page-up, page-down.  Weird.

True. Sorry about that. The next release will address this benign buglet.
The next release will also stengthen the undo facility.
>5> Miscellaneous typos in manuals (I could supply a list of the ones I
>   found if it would help).

It would: please email a list (although the manual has already been reproofed
but the resulting version has not been put into circulation.

>	To repeat: IT IS ANOTHER QUALITY ASDG PRODUCT!  Due to the fine
>reputation of ASDG I expect these quirks will be addressed.

Thank you.
--
Perry Kivolowitz, ASDG Inc.

ARPA: madnix!perry@cs.wisc.edu   {uunet|ncoast}!marque!
UUCP:   {harvard|rutgers|ucbvax}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!madnix!perry

elg@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Eric Green) (02/01/89)

in article <436@madnix.UUCP>, perry@madnix.UUCP (Perry Kivolowitz) says:
> In article <3443@sdsu.UUCP> lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) writes:
>>1> Does not preserve script bit.
>
> True. When CEDPro started shipping the script bit didn't exist yet :-). This
> will be addressed in the next release.

Timeout for pet peeve mode: Applications which bash protect bits.

(* FLAME ON *)

Programs such as DirMaster or the ARP "Copy" command should NOT bash
bits randomly. Surely the addition of the Archive bit to version 1.2
didn't go unnoticed??? Examine() returns a whole 32 bits. When you
call Protect() on your new file, you should give it that whole 32 bits
back, although you may want to clear the archive bit first.  This is
absolutely guaranteed to maintain utmost compatibility with future
releases of AmigaDos, which are sure to add even more bits.

Bit bashers are not to be trusted around dogs and small children. They
are the same sort of people who go munging directly at the hardware,
rely on software timing loops, and otherwise do vile and nasty things.

As an aside, the above renders useless the Arp 1.1 LIST, COPY, and
PROTECT commands when used with 1.3. Arp 1.1 LIST ignores all those
empty bits, COPY copies only certain bits, and PROTECT won't let you
enter an octal or hexadecimal mask to set the bits to any darn thing
you please. LIST can be excused... I don't use it anyhow. But COPY and
PROTECT.... whoever made that lame-brained decision deserves to be
flamed from here to Anchorage.

(* FLAME OFF *)

Pretty mild as far as flames go, I guess...

--
|    // Eric Lee Green              P.O. Box 92191, Lafayette, LA 70509     |
|   //  ..!{ames,decwrl,mit-eddie,osu-cis}!killer!elg     (318)989-9849     |