[comp.sys.amiga] At the Magic Million Mark

plouff@levers.dec.com (Wes Plouff) (01/20/89)

Last Tuesday, January 17, Wes Young of A.G. Edwards (a stockbroker)
talked about Commodore's latest results.  The company is getting more
attention these days from Wall Street, including positive writeups in
the financial press.

Hard numbers include 1 million C-64 units sold last year.  Only 24% of
Commodore's revenue (all products) comes from the USA, over half from
Europe.  In the USA, CBM now has 1600 Amiga dealers.  A2000HD and A2500
models are "flying" out dealers' doors.

Young's guesses:  cumulative sales of Amigas have reached 1 million
units, finally.  As discussed to death in this newsgroup, this is an
industry threshold which should bring in many new companies and
products, and get much wider recognition for Amiga.  Young breaks down
the million this way:  150K A1000, 100-150K A2000, 700-750K A500.
Worldwide, Amiga is selling at a faster rate than Macintosh.

Good news, eh?  In honor of this new milestone, check out the revised
signature line...
--
Wes Plouff, Digital Equipment Corp, Littleton, Mass.
plouff%levers.dec@decwrl.dec.com

Amiga -- over 256,000,000,000 pixels sold.

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (01/21/89)

plouff@levers.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
> Young's guesses:  cumulative sales of Amigas have reached 1 million
> units, finally.

Does that mean that Lucasfilm will port all their games to the Amiga,
now that the number of Amigas rounded to the nearest million is one million?

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
INET:   mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu / BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

"I'm very sorry, Master, but that WAS the backup system" -- Slave

ali@polya.Stanford.EDU (Ali T. Ozer) (01/23/89)

In article <kXps0dy00VsfM21RJX@andrew.cmu.edu> Michael Portuesi writes:
>plouff@levers.dec.com (Wes Plouff) writes:
>> Young's guesses:  cumulative sales of Amigas have reached 1 million
>Does that mean that Lucasfilm will port all their games to the Amiga,
>now that the number of Amigas rounded to the nearest million is one million?

Actually the Amiga reached that goal 500,000 Amigas ago, about last summer.
The way things are going by this fall there should be 2M Amigas out there
(rounded to the nearest million, of course).
Ali

ktly@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (01/28/89)

In article <kXps0dy00VsfM21RJX@andrew.cmu.edu> mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) writes:
>Does that mean that Lucasfilm will port all their games to the Amiga,
>now that the number of Amigas rounded to the nearest million is one million?

	I saw an advertisement for a new Lucasfilm game in a recent computer/
video games magazine (The name escapes me now...).  In small print at the
bottom of the page, the Amiga was listed along with other supported machines.
If only other major software companies would follow suit..

	-Jonathan

In article <17822@vax5.CIT.CORNELL.EDU> ktly@vax5.cit.cornell.edu (Jonathan C. Kagle) writes:
>	I saw an advertisement for a new Lucasfilm game in a recent computer/
>video games magazine (The name escapes me now...).  In small print at the
>bottom of the page, the Amiga was listed along with other supported machines.
>If only other major software companies would follow suit..
	I would hardly call LucasFilm Games a "major software company".
Very prestigious (sp?), yes, but it's a really small operation.  Pixar is
bigger than LFL Games, and they're smaller than you think.

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac