[comp.sys.amiga] CMI '020 $199 Board

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) (01/25/89)

From article <6319@polya.Stanford.EDU>, by rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki):
> Nope.  My Ronin board has one wait state.  Ronin claims I can change an
> R/C time constant to run it at 0 wait states, but not only do I need 80ns
> RAMs to do it, they can't guarantee that it will work.  Not very
> reassuring.
>
> -tom

Speaking of 68020 boards...There is one out from CMI that sticks into
the 68000 socket and has a socket for an 881. It retails for $199.
And I was wondering if anyone had heard what kind of performance it
was getting?? I need SOME speed up, but would I be better off building
the lucas board??

Thanks,
bob
--
-=-=-=- Insert Standard Disclaimer Here, Please... -=-=-=-

/*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! *************/

rg20+@andrew.cmu.edu (Rick Francis Golembiewski) (01/26/89)

From articale <5894@medusa.cs.purdue.edu>, by  wolff@cs.purdue.EDU
(Robert M. Wolff):
>Speaking of 68020 boards...There is one out from CMI that sticks into
>the 68000 socket and has a socket for an 881. It retails for $199.
>And I was wondering if anyone had heard what kind of performance it
>was getting??
First of all this board is NOT a 68020, but a 68000 (running at
16Mhz), so don't expect too much of a speedup.  Also, the 68881 is
not used as a true co processor (the 68000 doesn't support a math
co-processor, alsothough the '20 does...), so there is some extra
hardware (and config. software) to get it working, thus it is a lot
slower then a '20/881 combination.  However if you just need a bit
more speed ( about 20%) at a small cost then the PA is a pretty good deal.

> I need SOME speed up, but would I be better off building
>the lucas board??
The LUCAS board is a true 68020, and it will (whenever Brad can
finish) have a 32 bit memory board also (with the 32 bit mem. the
speedup should be around %100).   LUCAS is the cheapeast way to get a
'20 ($75 for board + $300+ for parts [68881 - $150 68020 $99
{12Mhz}]). But be warned: GETTING PARTS IS HELL!!!  Yes, I ordered
parts for the board before Thanksgiving, currently I am waiting on
the sockets and the SIP resistors, who knows when I'll actually get
to assemble everything :-(.  Remember with a PA (or any other
comercial product) you get everything assembled, be ready for some
headaches if you want to save some $$$...

| Disclaimer: Me?  Post That, impossible I never post anything...            |
| TypetoYouLater(Everyone); --> "functional Good bye"....                    |
| Rick Golembiewski [ Pronunciation is half the Battle, spelling the other]  |

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (01/27/89)

wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff) writes:

> Speaking of 68020 boards...There is one out from CMI that sticks into
> the 68000 socket and has a socket for an 881. It retails for $199.

The CMI board does NOT use a 68020.  It uses a 68000 running at 16 Mhz
or thereabouts.

> And I was wondering if anyone had heard what kind of performance it
> was getting?? I need SOME speed up, but would I be better off building
> the lucas board??

The Lucas board would be faster, and if you add the Lucas 32-bit
memory board that Brad Fowles is designing right now the comparison
would move from "faster" to "no contest."  But the Lucas board is a
DIY hack, and the CMI board is a commercial product.  The Lucas board
will probably cost more, since a 68020 is more expensive than a
high-speed 68000.

The decision of which to get depends on how much speed you want, how
much money you want to spend, and how hardware-capable you are.

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
INET:   mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu / BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

"I'm very sorry, Master, but that WAS the backup system" -- Slave

anakin@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Anakin Research) (01/27/89)

	I'm about as partial as you can get about the LUCAS Board, its
my design. I wasn't aware that CMI had an 020 board out. But if they do
I'd give a good look see to see what the CMI board is like. As far as
I'm concerned the more '020's out there the better. LUCAS is only for
the 1000 (this is a political statement) and hopefully the CMI board
can be used in the other two as well. LUCAS does have its problems, but
its doing some pretty fast work for some.
	I'd like to hear about the CMI board if anyone knows about it.
				Brad

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (01/29/89)

From article <5894@medusa.cs.purdue.edu:, by wolff@cs.purdue.EDU (Robert M. Wolff):
:
: Speaking of 68020 boards...There is one out from CMI that sticks into
: the 68000 socket and has a socket for an 881. It retails for $199.
: And I was wondering if anyone had heard what kind of performance it
: was getting?? I need SOME speed up, but would I be better off building
: the lucas board??

	Remember that our board is *not* a 68020 board. It's a 68000 based
accelerator. That's why the price is so low. You won't get as much of a speed
up with our board as you will with a 68020, but the price is right! (BTW, if
you don't mind giving up floppy disk access and serial port access, I've had
some success with using a 32 meg clock on the external clock line on the video
port to run the whole system at 8/16MHz instead of 7/14MHz. You will need a
multisync monitor to display things, but for ray tracing into RAM:, it gives
some help...) :)

:
: Thanks,
: bob
: --
: -=-=-=- Insert Standard Disclaimer Here, Please... -=-=-=-
:
: /*************  MS-Dos? Me? No, You must be mistaken! *************/
--
     -Bill Seymour             ...tektronix!reed!percival!agora!billsey
                               ...tektronix!sequent!blowpig!billsey

billsey@agora.UUCP (Bill Seymour) (02/02/89)

From article <1989Jan26.192300.7327@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu:, by anakin@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Anakin Research):
:
: 	I'm about as partial as you can get about the LUCAS Board, its
: my design. I wasn't aware that CMI had an 020 board out. But if they do
: I'd give a good look see to see what the CMI board is like. As far as
: I'm concerned the more '020's out there the better. LUCAS is only for
: the 1000 (this is a political statement) and hopefully the CMI board
: can be used in the other two as well. LUCAS does have its problems, but
: its doing some pretty fast work for some.
: 	I'd like to hear about the CMI board if anyone knows about it.
: 				Brad

	Well, if anyone knew about a CMI 68020 board, it would be me... And
I don't know anything about it! I'm sure he was just thinking of the Processor
Accelerator, which is a 68000 speedup board. I'm more than happy to leave the
68020 wars to you guys... :) :)