[comp.sys.amiga] Are there any freeware/shareware word processors out there?

erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) (01/30/89)

I am looking for a freeware/shareware simple word processor.  I use uEmacs for
my programming, but I would like to have a utility which will let me play with
fonts. I am not interested in paying multiple hundreds of dollars for
WordPerfect, since I don't want any real features except fonts, and a way to
print.

(I checked through the Fred Fish list in Amusing Confusing, up through 172,
but saw nothing)

Thanks in advance,
-ethan

-=-
Ethan R. Dicks       | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Software Results Corp|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.
940 Freeway Drive N. |   ##
Columbus OH    43229 | ######  "You get it, you're closer.

lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) (02/01/89)

In article <33034@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) writes:

> I am not interested in paying multiple hundreds of dollars for
> WordPerfect, since I don't want any real features except fonts, and a way to

About 6-8 months ago I considered getting WordPerfect for the Amiga because
WordPerfect had a deal for students - $99.  Perhaps you can take advantage of
this deal (if it is still in effect).

[PS I didn't get it because of an urgent financial investment - rent!]

John Lindwall
johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

jwcote@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jim Cote) (02/02/89)

>About 6-8 months ago I considered getting WordPerfect for the Amiga because
>WordPerfect had a deal for students - $99.  Perhaps you can take advantage of
>this deal (if it is still in effect).

I hope the deal is still in effect. I picked up a newer version of
the application form last week at my local dealer. The money went
in the mail last week so hopefully I will have my copy soon. BTW,
without such a deal for students, I could not justify the expense.
Remember, $99 is not a trivial amount for either the buyer or seller.
Just a nice compromise between each party. My hats off to WordPerfect
and others who have similar policies.

ruslan@ecsvax.uncecs.edu (Robin C. LaPasha) (02/02/89)

In article <3453@sdsu.UUCP>, lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) writes:
> In article <33034@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) writes:
> >
> > I am not interested in paying multiple hundreds of dollars for
> > WordPerfect, since I don't want any real features except fonts, and a way to
>
> About 6-8 months ago I considered getting WordPerfect for the Amiga because
> WordPerfect had a deal for students - $99.  Perhaps you can take advantage of

The main disadvantage to WordPerfect is its lack of (onscreen)
fonts.  You might be able to print certain fonts BUILT INTO
YOUR PRINTER (or otherwise available on that end,) but you
can't pop your favorite font in, see it, and print it.

If certain rumors of a month or two were based on any real
info, perhaps someday we'll see a WordPerfect with fonts
and graphics for the Amiga (5.x? 6.x?.)  The reps have
said not to hold your breath, though.

I own WordPerfect (and took advantage of the student discount.)
I'd say they're always happy to send the latest version
(what is that, anyway?  My latest is from last August), but
I'm still waiting for a bug fix (can't change the spacing of
endnotes.)  Every time I call, I get "Gee, ok, we'll note
that, and here's a new version, maybe it's been fixed"
but it never seems to go anywhere.

I think I remember standing in the student computer store
last month when someone said that WordPerfect had just
cancelled the student discount under pressure from
dealers; a new discount program was hopefully going to
be set up, but later, and not as nice a deal.  (I'd be
sure to check - I may be thinking of some other package!)

Good luck.
--
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Robin LaPasha               |Deep-Six your

jmpiazza@sunybcs.uucp (Joseph M. Piazza) (02/02/89)

In article <725@blake.acs.washington.edu> jwcote@blake.acs.washington.edu (Jim Cote) writes:
>>About 6-8 months ago I considered getting WordPerfect for the Amiga because
>>WordPerfect had a deal for students - $99.  Perhaps you can take advantage of
>>this deal (if it is still in effect).

	The deal is business as usual.  All WordPerfect software is available
with an educational discount.  We are fortunate though; when I bought my
copy last year the PC version was $150.  "Only Amiga makes it possible!" :-)

Flip side,

	joe piazza

--- Cogito ergo equus sum.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260

UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza		GEnie: jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET		Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

pmy@vivaldi.acc.virginia.edu (Pete Yadlowsky) (02/02/89)

>In article <33034@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R. Dicks) writes:

>> I am not interested in paying multiple hundreds of dollars for
>> WordPerfect, since I don't want any real features except fonts, and

Hundreds?! naaaah...I got it for $135 at...uh...damn, forgot the name
of the outfit. They advertize in AmigaWorld, though. Drop me a line if
you're interested and I'll look 'em up.

Peter M. Yadlowsky
Academic Computing Center
University of Virginia