[comp.sys.amiga] FTP, a simple HOW-TO

noel@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) (02/02/89)

   As a recent initiate to FTP, I am probably not fully qualified
to tell you all about it, but what the heck, thats what makes this country
so great...

   FTP is the interface to the DARPA File Transfer Protocol.  What it does,
(or so I think) is use the Internet stuff that connects unix machines to
each other, and allows you to logon to machines that you don't have an
account on, for the sole purpose of file transfers.
   In order to use FTP, you must start from a machine with an I-net address.
(ie: You must have access to the Internet stuff in the first place)
To use it, you just type "ftp" and you should get a "ftp>" prompt,
or something along those lines.   Now you can "open" a connection to another
machine.   This is something like smart mailers, in that you simply specify the
destination machine, and the program figures out the 'best' way to get there.

   On machines that allow it, there is a generic logon for everybody:
	user= anonymous, password= your-username
but not all machines allow this.
So, a typical session might look something like this:

% ftp
ftp> open swan.ulowell.edu
Connected to swan.ulowell.edu.
username: anonymous
password: noel
etc...

Hostnames are kept in a file, usually /etc/hosts.  This file is usually nowhere
near complete, so sometimes you need the I-net address of a place.  It is
interchangeable with the name.  ie: "open  129.63.224.1"   is the same as the
"open swan.ulowell.edu".

    I'm not really going to explain how to transfer files, because thats
what man pages are for, and it's pretty straigt forward, BUT, if you are
going to transfer binary, or zoo, or anything other than straight simple
text, use "binary", or it won't work right.
    Oh, also, I'm not going to post all of the FTP sites for *.amiga.*
because they can be found on swan.ulowell.edu in the amiga section.
(if you can't get to swan for some ungodly reason, try uunet.uu.net.  If
you can't get to there, give up.)

Happy hunting!
Noel

--
 NEVER date a music major.  At least not one that's named her clarinet "Thor"
----You want it should sing too?------|    noel@uokmax | ngorelic@uokmax

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (02/02/89)

In article <2311@uokmax.UUCP> noel@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) writes:

>    I'm not really going to explain how to transfer files, because thats
>what man pages are for, and it's pretty straigt forward, BUT, if you are
>going to transfer binary, or zoo, or anything other than straight simple
>text, use "binary", or it won't work right.

Actually binary doesn't work right either.  I downloaded a lot of .arc files
and almost all of them were corrupt.  I found that 'tenex' works the best in
my experience.

>    Oh, also, I'm not going to post all of the FTP sites for *.amiga.*
>because they can be found on swan.ulowell.edu in the amiga section.
>(if you can't get to swan for some ungodly reason, try uunet.uu.net.  If
>you can't get to there, give up.)

Thanks for the info.  I might just do that.  :-)

	Sri

fetrow@blake.acs.washington.edu (David Fetrow) (02/02/89)

>In article <2311@uokmax.UUCP> noel@uokmax.UUCP (Bamf) writes:
>
>Actually binary doesn't work right either.  I downloaded a lot of .arc files
>and almost all of them were corrupt.  I found that 'tenex' works the best in
>my experience.

 All this is rather site dependent. "Binary" or "Image" works most of the
time but "tenex" is helpful if the sending machine is a 36-bit machine
(usually DEC-20's...like SIMTEL). "Tenex" refers to one of the operating
systems those machines use.

 Details may be slightly different at different sites (BSD and Wollogong
"ftp" is slightly different from CMU ftp for VMS, "ftp" for VM/CMS is REAL
different, etc.).

If you have problems contact the nearest System Administrator, Guru or whatever
for your system.