[comp.sys.amiga] VGA and the Amiga

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (01/27/89)

I have a question here.  I am planning to get an Amiga some time in the summer.
As a IBM compatible owner I have just invested money in a VGA card and PS/2
monitor.  My question is whether or not Amiga can use the PS/2 monitor.  The
monitor is only three months old and I do not wish to get rid of it.  Besides
the Flicker Fixer which I think is way to expensive to buy is there any other
way to use the PS/2 monitor???

	Sri

tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) (01/30/89)

In article <1016@mentor.cc.purdue.edu> aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) writes:
:I have a question here.  I am planning to get an Amiga some time in the summer.
:As a IBM compatible owner I have just invested money in a VGA card and PS/2
:monitor.  My question is whether or not Amiga can use the PS/2 monitor.  The
:monitor is only three months old and I do not wish to get rid of it.  Besides
:the Flicker Fixer which I think is way to expensive to buy is there any other
:way to use the PS/2 monitor???
:
:	Sri

What is the current price of the Flicker Fixer ? (It's not selling here
in Sweden). Will it work with a B2000? What do you think of it? Is it
possible to turn off easily if you are doing animation or playing a game?

Tommy P.

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (01/31/89)

In article <4275@enea.se> tope@enea.se (Tommy Petersson) writes:
>:the Flicker Fixer which I think is way to expensive to buy is there any other
>:way to use the PS/2 monitor???
>
>What is the current price of the Flicker Fixer ? (It's not selling here
>in Sweden). Will it work with a B2000? What do you think of it? Is it
>possible to turn off easily if you are doing animation or playing a game?

To my knowledge a Flicker Fixer costs around $400-$500 dollars.  Right now it
is not worth the money, I feel because for that amount of money one can buy an
Amiga monitor and solve any incompatibility problems.  I have heard that C= is
planning to come out with a new graphic standard thus throwing out the old
Amiga monitor.  Hopefully it will come out with a standard that will support
VGA monitors.  It was said that it was planned to be introduced sometime late
'88 or early '89.  Wait until summer is what I say.  :-)

     A future Amiga owner,
     Sri

In <1070@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) writes:
>To my knowledge a Flicker Fixer costs around $400-$500 dollars.  Right now it
>is not worth the money, I feel because for that amount of money one can buy an
>Amiga monitor and solve any incompatibility problems.

You probably wouldn't say that if you hung one on your Amiga after having used
a Commodore monitor for a few years.

>     A future Amiga owner,
>     Sri

Oh.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) (02/01/89)

In article <2195@van-bc.UUCP> lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca (Larry Phillips) writes:

>You probably wouldn't say that if you hung one on your Amiga after having used
>a Commodore monitor for a few years.

Thats probably true.  Then again I have been using a CGA monitor for a couple
of years too.  A leap from CGA to VGA is real expensive..hence I would be
looking for a cheaper method  (aren't we all? :-).

>>     A future Amiga owner,
>>     Sri
>
>Oh.

It all started with I lost a debate with an Amiga owner over which is better,
an Amiga or IBM comp.

	Sri

In <1110@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, aru@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Sriram Ramkrishna) writes:
>It all started with I lost a debate with an Amiga owner over which is better,
>an Amiga or IBM comp.

You may or may not know it yet, but you both won. :-)

>	Sri

-larry