[comp.sys.amiga] Relabelling RAM:

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (01/29/89)

In article <549@jc3b21.UUCP> fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP writes:
>From article <34939@bbn.COM>, by cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell):
>> I've been fiddling around with my WB disk icons and the mountlist and
>> such and I have a couple of baby questions (these all with 1.3 on a 2000):
>>
>> a) Where does "RAM:" get its name?  I've tried rename from workbench,
>>    but when I reboot ram comes back as "RAM DISK:".  [This worked fine
>>    for the Recoverable ram, disk -- a raname to "RRD:" and I no longer
>>    have to see 'ramb0:']
>
>     Use "Relabel RAM: RAM" in your Startup-Sequence file.  Remember that
>the RAM: disk goes away everytime you reboot.  It gets recreated the first
>time it is referenced.  So include a reference to RAM: (such as copy echo
>to RAM:") in your startup sequence.  Then relabel it.  The new name will
>last until you boot the system again.

For those who are unaware, you can also change the icon image of RAM: so you
don't get that generic picture of a disk.  Normally, when RAM: is created,
(or does loadwb do it?) the system looks in it for disk.info, which contains
the icon info.  Not finding one, it creates a generic one.  You can get
around this by editing the RAM: icon (using iconed or whatever) and then
copying RAM:disk.info to somewhere on your boot disk.

BE SURE TO CHANGE THE NAME OF THE FILE WHEN YOU SAVE IT.  I saved mine in
/usr/misc/ram.diskinfo.  Then, in your startup sequence, sometime before
loadwb, put in a line like:

copy /usr/misc/ram.diskinfo RAM:disk.info  ;Move icon into RAM:

That oughtta do it!

 /.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...\
/ Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     | "One man's garbage is another     \
\ AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com | man's prune danish." - Harv Laser /
 \.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . .../

agollum@engr.uky.edu (Kenneth Herron) (01/30/89)

In episode <674@cord.UUCP>, we
heard nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) say:
>For those who are unaware, you can also change the icon image of RAM: so you
>don't get that generic picture of a disk.  Normally, when RAM: is created,
>(or does loadwb do it?) the system looks in it for disk.info, which contains
>the icon info.  Not finding one, it creates a generic one.  You can get
>around this by editing the RAM: icon (using iconed or whatever) and then
>copying RAM:disk.info to somewhere on your boot disk.

I fooled with this while setting up a "boot to ram:" disk a while back.
As near as I could tell, the exact behavior is:  When LoadWB starts up,
if RAM: has no disk.info, then SYS:disk.info is copied to RAM:disk.info.
So whatever icon your boot disk has, your ram: disk will have the same
(though the window position is reset). To avoid this, have a disk.info
file in RAM: when you run LoadWB.

Kenneth Herron

gords@cognos.uucp (Gord Smith) (02/03/89)

In article <674@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>For those who are unaware, you can also change the icon image of RAM: so you
>don't get that generic picture of a disk.  Normally, when RAM: is created,
>(or does loadwb do it?) the system looks in it for disk.info, which contains
>the icon info.  Not finding one, it creates a generic one.  You can get
>around this by editing the RAM: icon (using iconed or whatever) and then
>copying RAM:disk.info to somewhere on your boot disk.

That's all well and good, but how about providing something interesting for
these folks to use as a RAM: icon?  Here's my uuencoded RAM:Disk.info.
Actually it's stored on my workbench disk as SYS:Ram.diskinfo and in the good
old startup-sequence somewhere before the LoadWb I have

copy SYS:Ram.diskinfo RAM:Disk.info

It's made the rounds on a couple of local BBS's, but since the subject came up
here I might as well spread it around here, too.

For those who couldn't be bothered looking at it, it's a memory chip which
surges with electricity when clicked on.

This sucker is PUBLIC DOMAIN etc.... Do with it what you want.
If it ever did show up in a commercial product I'd freak out (with amazement).

Incidentally, with the advent of 1.3 I now use it for RAD: as well.

It's short, so like, no flames, eh!  Enjoy!

---------------->8---------------->8--------------------->8-------------------
begin 644 ram.diskinfo
MXQ   0     "*  % %  &0 &  ,  0# F<@ P)WX
M     <( P/=X         B@    %  &JJ            #0 (P%Y ''__P
M   "0 )_  %;S       P!40            6@ H_____P !
M     %  &0 "  &R8 ,
M \           #P           / ,          \ S@        #P#.,
M    / ,XQ@       \ SC&(      #P#.,8B   /___ ,XQB(        SC&
M(@       #.,8B     =LB XQB(     ,R( #&(@     &(@  8B      !"
M   "(       0    @
M                               /__P         ___#P       #__\
M/\       /__P_P       ___#_       #__\/\       /__P_P
M___#_           /\        ____P        /___
M                                      !0 !D  @ !M%@#
M                               /__P         ___#P       #__\
M/_       /__P_\X      ___#_SC "   #__\/_.,8/   /__P_\XQB<
M___#_SC&(D      /_.,8B#_  ____\XQB(  ?@/___SC&(@!^  ';(@.,8B
M /XX #,B!HQB(#X#C@!B(.R&(@ #@,'P0@:9@B . & P&$!LT0(#P_X\$  .
M6"(  ' "!A@ 2%#R!Q / 0   %G @#'. >#   "3  #@8< 0    P0 ! #!X
M         0 0
M    #___P        /___\        _____       #____\       /____
MP   @   _____   #P  #____\   '   /____P   !   _____     _P /
M___\      'X#___P     ?@          #^.     :    ^ XX   #L@
M X#!\  &F8  #@!@,!@ ;-$  \/^/!  #E@B  !P @88 $A0\@<0#P$   !9
MP( QS@'@P   DP  X&' $    ,$  0 P>         $ $
M         !1365,Z4WES=&5M+T1I<VM#;W!Y !H:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:
M&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:
4&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:&AH:

end

DwBh

--
D. Gordon Smith         Voice: (613) 738-1338 ext 6118      P.O. Box 9707
Cognos Incorporated       FAX: (613) 738-0002               3755 Riverside Drive