[comp.sys.amiga] ARP and 1.3 RESIDENT

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (01/30/89)

Can anyone tell me which ARP commands can be made resident with
the WB1.3 RESIDENT command?  Also, which ARP commands cannot be used
with 1.3 (for instance, I know that the ARP MOUNT command is no good
under 1.3 - or so I've been told)?

I'd appreciate any help with this.

Thanks,

Rich

ARPA:    rlcarr@athena.mit.edu
UUCP:    {wherever}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!rlcarr
BITNET:  rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@MITVMA.mit.edu

* Rich Carreiro                 "Back off man, I'm a scientist."              *
* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                - Dr. Peter Venkman                    *

ecphssrw@solaria.csun.edu (Stephen Walton) (02/03/89)

In article <9014@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) writes:

>Can anyone tell me which ARP commands can be made resident with
>the WB1.3 RESIDENT command?  Also, which ARP commands cannot be used
>with 1.3 (for instance, I know that the ARP MOUNT command is no good
>under 1.3 - or so I've been told)?

All of the ARP commands can be made resident; they were all carefully
written to be re-entrant.
     ARP Mount should not be used with 1.3 as you note.  Obviously,
you should also use the 1.3 Resident command instead of the ARP one if
you're using the 1.3 Shell.  As for other commands: the ARP 1.1 Copy
will not work from PIPE: properly, as it checks the length of the
file, reads that many bytes, and quits.  Length always comes up 4096
on PIPE:.  ARP 1.1 Protect doesn't know about the extra bits.
    And, in answer to another question: the TxEd+ update letter I got
a few weeks ago promised ARP 1.3 on the TxEd+ 2.02 update disks, to
ship 1 February (i.e., yesterday as I write this).  I'll keep y'all
posted.
--
Stephen Walton, Dept. of Physics & Astronomy, Cal State Univ. Northridge
RCKG01M@CALSTATE.BITNET       ecphssrw@afws.csun.edu