[comp.sys.amiga] Is Supramodem a good modem?

owenc@hpindda.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) (01/20/89)

A friend of mine is looking into buying a modem.  She found a 2400 baud
Supramodem for $149.  Has anybody ever heard about this modem or have
experience with it?  Any information is welcome.  Thanks in advance.

Owen

martens@kayak.cis.ohio-state.edu (Jeff Martens) (01/20/89)

In article <6570019@hpindda.HP.COM> owenc@hpindda.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) writes:

>A friend of mine is looking into buying a modem.  She found a 2400 baud
>Supramodem for $149.  Has anybody ever heard about this modem or have
>experience with it?  Any information is welcome.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Owen

I've got one, and I'm happy with it.  My one complaint is that I have
occasional problems with line noise.  Other people in this area have
had similar complaints using other modems, though, and the consensus
is that the lines running into the university are bad.  Anyhow, 4 out
of 5 times I use the modem I have no problems, and on particularly
noisy days 1200 baud works fine.

I do advise that whatever modem she gets have a speaker so you can
listen in.  It takes very little practice to be able to predict when a
line's gonna be too noisy.  Despite what Dave at CMO says, the Supra
has a speaker.

-- Jeff (martens@cis.ohio-state.edu)

mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael Portuesi) (01/21/89)

owenc@hpindda.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) writes:
> A friend of mine is looking into buying a modem.  She found a 2400 baud
> Supramodem for $149.  Has anybody ever heard about this modem or have
> experience with it?  Any information is welcome.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Owen

I own a Supramodem.  It offers all the features you normally expect of
a 2400 baud modem, including nice things like storing one phone number in
non-volatile RAM, and storing your preferences in NVRAM as well.  You
can control things like the speaker on/off/volume and autoanswer on/off
through software.  That part of it seems pretty compentent, certainly
much better than the Volksmodem 1200 the Supra replaced.

The modem itself is physically small -- a small bit shorter and wider
than a paperback book.  The case is metal.  The biggest thing I don't
like about my Supramodem is that the on/off button is VERY cheesy.  It
doesn't click smoothly, and usually requires about three tries to turn
the modem on or off.  Of course, you could simply turn it on once and
leave it on.  I am thinking about replacing the switch with something
from Radio Shack.

The other complaint I have about the Supramodem is that it seems to be
intolerant of line noise.  The phone connection to the terminal
concentrators here at CMU has one really bad connection that I
occasionally get when I dial in.  I don't really have any other modems
to compare the Supra against, but when I wind up with the bad
connection the modem does get confused pretty heavily.  Of course,
with DNET this isn't a problem (yet another round of thanks to Matt
Dillon).

In summary, it is not a bad modem, it does a lot for the price, and I
am happy I bought it, but it does have a few problems.

--
Michael Portuesi / Information Technology Center / Carnegie Mellon University
INET:   mp1u+@andrew.cmu.edu / BITNET: mp1u+@andrew

"I'm very sorry, Master, but that WAS the backup system" -- Slave

RMann@pco-multics.hbi.honeywell.com (Roger Mann) (01/21/89)

Yes, Supra 2400 is a good buy.  It is "Hayes" compatible (I can't
remember the standard).  Very easy to use.  Works well with Handshake
and Access!

I recommend it.

Roger Mann

jdow@gryphon.COM (J. Dow) (01/21/89)

In article <6570019@hpindda.HP.COM> owenc@hpindda.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) writes:

>A friend of mine is looking into buying a modem.  She found a 2400 baud
>Supramodem for $149.  Has anybody ever heard about this modem or have
>experience with it?  Any information is welcome.  Thanks in advance.
>
>Owen

I am using a Supra right now. It works nicely on noise free lines. It IS more
susceptable to noise than some of the more expensive machines. Jerry Pournelle
is plagued by noisey lines. He reports his 19.2k modem used at 2400 baud is much
better than anything else he has used. (Not sure which brand it was, alas. I
didn't bother to check as I can't afford one just yet. <sigh>)

My experience here indicates it is a little worse than the Ven-Tel 2400 that I
have regarding line noise. It has a much better command set, though. And it
costs a whale of a lot less.

--
Sometimes a bird in the hand leaves a sticky deposit.
Perhaps it were best it remain there in the bush with the other one.

{@_@}
	jdow@bix (where else?)		Sometimes the dragon wins. Sometimes
	jdow@gryphon.CTS.COM		the knight. Does the fair maiden ever
	{backbone}!gryphon!jdow		win? Surely both the knight and dragon
					stink. Maybe the maiden should suicide?
					Better yet - she should get an Amiga and
					quit playing with dragons and knights.

allen@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Allen Norskog) (01/23/89)

> A friend of mine is looking into buying a modem.  She found a 2400 baud
> Supramodem for $149.  Has anybody ever heard about this modem or have
> experience with it?  Any information is welcome.  Thanks in advance.
>
> Owen

I've had mine for over a year, and been quite happy with it.  My wife
also uses it with her PC (Vectra).

We used to use a 1200 baud Hayes modem.  We had no difficulty switching
over, and 2400 is much nicer.  The small size is also quite nice.

Allen Norskog     allen_n@hpfcla.hp.com

klm@wang7.UUCP (Kevin L. McBride) (01/24/89)

In article <6570019@hpindda.HP.COM> owenc@hpindda.HP.COM (Owen Cheung) writes:
>A friend of mine is looking into buying a modem.  She found a 2400 baud
>Supramodem for $149.  Has anybody ever heard about this modem or have
>experience with it?  Any information is welcome.  Thanks in advance.

I have a Supra 2400.  I like it.  It works fine and seems to be pretty
solidly built.  I have been working on writing a smart modem dialer recently
and so far have found no Hayes incompatibilities.

The documentation is not the best I have seen, but is better than most.

I would recommend it as a very good value for the price.

--
Kevin McBride         Another  //     | Also:
Wang Laboratories      Proud  //      | President, brewmeister, chief taster

wen@husc4.HARVARD.EDU (A. Wen) (01/25/89)

I heartily recommend the Avatex 2400; I bought one a year ago for <$200
and have had absolutely no problems.  The documentation is absolutely
first rate, and provides every detail in which you could possibly be
interested.

--
A. Wen          wen@husc4.HARVARD.EDU  wen@husc4.BITNET  {seismo!harvard!husc4}
  "The fact that I believe in my own free will was completely predetermined."

dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) (01/25/89)

   Amid all this praise being heaped upon the Supramodem, a lone voice
speaks out...

   The Supra 2400 baud modem answers with a 2250 Hz tone (for the 1200
baud fallback), instead of the correct 2225 Hz.  These tones are supposed
to be accurate to within some small fraction of a percent, which this
gross error is several hundred times larger than.  The net result is that
if the Supra is called by some 1200 baud modems (like MINE), a connection
cannot be established.  Of course I did this research since my modem would
not connect to any Supra based BBS's in town.  The attractive pricing
of the Supra seemed to outweigh any quality considerations when the BBS
operators were purchasing.  Needless to say, I do not frequent these
boards.  Our own club's board runs a 2400 baud Promethious(sp?) modem
which I have no trouble with.

   Note that if you are the Supra modem owner, you will have no trouble
at all, unless someone wants to connect to you.

   All this is not really Supra's fault, the chip set being used has
a design flaw (shall we call it a mistake?)

|    // GOATS - Gladly Offering All Their Support  Dave Kinzer (602)897-3085|
|   //  >> In Hell you need 4Mb to Multitask!  <<  uunet!nud!fbog!dbk       |
| \X/   #define policy_maker(name) (name->salary > 3 * dave.salary)         |

fgd3@jc3b21.UUCP (Fabbian G. Dufoe) (01/26/89)

From article <10035@teroach.UUCP>, by dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer):
> ...The net result is that
> if the Supra is called by some 1200 baud modems (like MINE), a connection
> cannot be established...

     I used a Paradyne DTU-1200D for a while and experienced difficulty
connecting to a BBS with a Supra Modem.  I don't know if there was a
difference in the frequency of the answer tone, though.  What I experienced
was one answer tone for 2400 bps.  After a few seconds the tone changed.
It appeared the Supra was generating an answer tone for 2400 bps, then, if
no connection had been made, falling back to a 1200 bps tone.  Trouble was
my Paradyne modem would time out while the Supra was still sending its 2400
bps tone.  I worked around it by dialing manually, waiting for the second
tone, and then sending the Paradyne into originate data mode.

--Fabbian Dufoe
  350 Ling-A-Mor Terrace South
  St. Petersburg, Florida  33705
  813-823-2350

UUCP: ...uunet!pdn!jc3b21!fgd3

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (01/27/89)

In Message <10035@teroach.UUCP>, dbk@teroach.UUCP (Dave Kinzer) writes:

>   The Supra 2400 baud modem answers with a 2250 Hz tone (for the 1200
>baud fallback), instead of the correct 2225 Hz. These tones are supposed
>to be accurate to within some small fraction of a percent, which this
>gross error is several hundred times larger than.  The net result is that
>if the Supra is called by some 1200 baud modems (like MINE), a connection
>cannot be established.  Of course I did this research since my modem would
>not connect to any Supra based BBS's in town.  The attractive pricing
>of the Supra seemed to outweigh any quality considerations when the BBS
>operators were purchasing.  Needless to say, I do not frequent these
>boards.  Our own club's board runs a 2400 baud Promethious(sp?) modem
>which I have no trouble with.

  Having used a Supra on BERKS AMIGA BBS for over a year now this really
  suprises me.  Ive never had a message from anyone regarding a problem
  logging on at 1200 baud.  (This may be because they couldnt connect ;-)

  I don't dispute the incorrect answer tone (I havent done any research),
  but I do wonder how many 1200 baud modems have this problem. Mostly im
  curious if this is a common problem or if most modems are tolerant of
  the tone mismatch in the Supra.

  Sneakers

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691

dbk@fbog.UUCP (Dave B. Kinzer @ Price Rd. GEG) (01/28/89)

In article <6128.AA6128@heimat> sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) writes:

>  Having used a Supra on BERKS AMIGA BBS for over a year now this really
>  suprises me.  Ive never had a message from anyone regarding a problem
>  logging on at 1200 baud.  (This may be because they couldnt connect ;-)

I just called BERKS AMIGA BBS.  Just thought I'd let you know that I
couldn't connect. :-|

>Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
>Sneakers Computing
>2455 McKinley Ave.                     Of course heimat is an Amiga.
>West Lawn, PA 19609           Doesn't everyone run UUCP & UseNet on an Amiga?

|    // GOATS - Gladly Offering All Their Support  Dave Kinzer (602)897-3085|
|   //  >> In Hell you need 4Mb to Multitask!  <<  uunet!nud!fbog!dbk       |
| \X/   #define policy_maker(name) (name->salary > 3 * dave.salary)         |

Hurn@cup.portal.com (Edward Hurn Braswell) (02/03/89)

I, too, have been running a BBS for some time using a SUPRA 2400 modem, and
I can say there is a problem...
 ONE person, who has a Volks-64 modem generally cannot connect on the first
try.  However, a connect 1200 is usually made on the second attempt.
Of course, I happen to think that this is a fault of the Volks-64 (a piece
of sh*t from all accounts that I've heard) but, it may be due to the Supra.
 Other than that,  no problems, seems to be a good modem.
(only..   make your own serial cable!!  Supra will cheerfully rip you off
selling their "Amiga Package".)