[comp.sys.amiga] Memory boards and bus noise

fredc@petsd.UUCP (Fred Cassirer) (01/24/89)

 I am involved in building a memory board (well I wrote some memory tests
 and other S/W stuff ...) for an Amiga 1000, and we are having a problem
 with what we think is bus noise.

 The board checks out ok, we can read/write and read-modify-write all fine
 by reading/writing before doing an ADDMEM (we have disabled the autoconfig
 stuff).  We can successfully "poke" an assembly program into the memory and
 the execute it via an indirect function call in C.  All seems well.

 We can ADDMEM, but soon afterwards (like after run emacs) we will guru.  Usually
 during a disk I/O (but I can't prove that).  Most of the time it looks like
 something has written all thru chip memory because the screen goes nuts.

 On the analyzer we are seeing noise glitches on the control signals (AS, R/W).
 We have heard that some kind of bus termination may clean up the problem.

 Does anyone know what buses or signals should be terminated and what to use
 for termination?

 We have new pals (10ns) and have done the grounding trick.
 I'm told the board is very "clean" as far as signals go, the
 memory chips are very fast (in the 25ns range)

 Following is a rough sketch of what we see happening:

 AS -------.                                           /\._______
           |  /\______________________/\/\____________|
            \/
 Data                                 .---------.
  Bus ________________________________|         |__________
                                      |_________|

  RW  ________________________________/\  __________________
         |                               \/         |
         `- - - - - - - - - - - - - -.  /\.- - - - -'
                                      \/
  GRND _______________________________  /\___________________
                                      \/

   Sorry if my graphics are a bit poor.

  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
					Thanx.
--
 /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
<  Fred Cassirer			   ... rutgers!petsd!fredc or	   >

anakin@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Anakin Research) (01/25/89)

	I have found that the best termination is to terminate the 16 data
lines and the four control signals (*AS, *LDS, *UDS, & R/*W) with a 4.7K
resistor to 5V+ and a 1K resistor in series with a 1000 pf. ceramic cap
to ground. I was told this idea by the kind people at Microbotics. It
has greatly increased the reliability and the number of peripherals
on the bus.
			Brad Fowles

randy@bcsaic.UUCP (Randy Groves) (01/26/89)

In article <1430@petsd.UUCP> fredc@petsd.UUCP (Fred Cassirer) writes:

> I am involved in building a memory board (well I wrote some memory tests
> and other S/W stuff ...) for an Amiga 1000, and we are having a problem
> with what we think is bus noise.

A side note:  Anybody built or know of a commercial board for the 1000 that
can use either 256kbit or 1Mbit SIMMS that are used in the MAC??  They seem
to be readily available.

Thanks much!!

--
-randy groves - Boeing Advanced Technology Center
UUCP:	..!uw-beaver!uw-june!bcsaic!randy     USNail: Boeing Computer Services

wn0e+@andrew.cmu.edu (William Nichols) (01/31/89)

Brad Fowles writes
>I have found that the best termination is to terminate teh 16 data lines and
the four control >signals(*AS,*LDS,*UDS,&R/**W) with a 4.7K resistor to 5V+ and
a 1K resistor in series with a >1000 pf ceramic cap to ground.

I have also had some problems with bus noise, and would like to try the
terminator, but I do not know which lines on the bus those 20 lines correspond
to.  Can anybody help me out?

Thanks in advance.

WRN
Dept. of Physics
Carnegie Mellon University

anakin@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Anakin Research) (01/31/89)

        I've also had a number of questions in my E-mail on the bus
terminator to help with bus noise on the A1000, so here t'is

pin 1,2,3,4  Ground
pin 5,6      5V+

*Note: Grounds also at 13,25,37,49,61,73,85

Signals to terminate: (20)

pin 63  D15
pin 65  D14
pin 67  D13             pin 68  R/*W
pin 69  D12             pin 70  *LDS
pin 71  D11             pin 72  *UDS
                        pin 74  *AS
pin 75  D0              pin 76  D10
pin 77  D1              pin 78  D9
pin 79  D2              pin 80  D8
pin 81  D3              pin 82  D7
pin 83  D4              pin 84  D6
                        pin 86  D5

        The pins on the 86 pin expansion connector are numbered 1 on the
top front pin, 2 on the bottom front pin, etc. ie. odd numbers on top,
even on the bottom of the connector on the A1000

        For the record, here is the network which is connected to
each of the 20 signals listed above:

                              4.7K

        Signal<----*--------/\/\/\/\/\-------------->5V+

                   |                    1000 pf.
                   |          1.0K
                   |                      | |
                   *--------/\/\/\/\/\----| |------->Ground
                                          | |

                                     *NOTE: must be ceramic

Terminator should be put on the last peripheral in the chain.

                          Brad         anakin@utcs.gpu.toronto.edu

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (02/04/89)

> Terminator should be put on the last peripheral in the chain.
>
>                           Brad         anakin@utcs.gpu.toronto.edu
> ----------

As a satisfied user of the termination scheme mentioned, I'd
like to point out that it's easy to build on an 86-pin edge connector
and just plug it on the end of the chain.  Easy to change the pile
of peripherals around that way, if they all have pass-through.
(I suspect this is what Brad had in mind, but I had a vision of
someone soldering a bunch of parts directly into the last board/
expansion peripheral...)

Using such a terminator, I have been able to put two Starboards
on my A1000, where I couldn't before.  Haven't had a chance to try
three of 'em yet...

Cheers,
Tom Bruhns
tomb%hplsla@hplabs.hp.com