[comp.sys.amiga] What are menus?

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/07/89)

Well, I asked "what in the real world are pull-down menus a metaphor for?". The
replies I've received are entertaining, if not definitive. The most common
one is desk drawers or filing cabinets, but I see those as serving the same
roles as disks. Other replies included secretaries, bookshelves, the computer
(a wonderfully recursive metaphor), the restaurant menus from the chinese place
across the street (for helping you pull an all-nighter, presumably), and so on.
One sick puppy asked why I didn't have parchment scrolls that stretched across
my desk.

The desktop metaphor is just an analogy. Don't take it too seriously.
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

dbk@fbog.UUCP (Dave B. Kinzer @ Price Rd. GEG) (01/08/89)

In article <3234@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>The desktop metaphor is just an analogy. Don't take it too seriously.
>--
>Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
>...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`

He is right, you know.  If the desktop is the perfect workplace, we
wouldn't need computers.

|    // GOATS - Gladly Offering All Their Support  Dave Kinzer (602)897-3085|
|   //  >> In Hell you need 4Mb to Multitask!  <<  uunet!nud!fbog!dbk       |
| \X/   #define policy_maker(name) (name->salary > 3 * dave.salary)         |

frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) (01/09/89)

In article <3234@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Well, I asked "what in the real world are pull-down menus a metaphor for?".
>[...]
>The desktop metaphor is just an analogy. Don't take it too seriously.

Huh? [:-)]  Metaphors, by definition, have to be a metaphor *for* something.
Similarly with analogies (it has to be an analogy *of* something).  The
desktop metaphor sure isn't a true representation of any desktop I've seen,
but then it does seem more useful the way it is.

Maybe it should be the "desktop" metaphor.
--
Frank Wales, Systems Manager,        [frank@zen.co.uk<->mcvax!zen.co.uk!frank]
Zengrange Ltd., Greenfield Rd., Leeds, ENGLAND, LS9 8DB. (+44) 532 489048 x217

perley@trub.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (01/10/89)

In article <3234@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Well, I asked "what in the real world are pull-down menus a metaphor for?". The
>replies I've received are entertaining, if not definitive.

They represent Postit(tm) notes stuck on your rolltop desk.

-don perley

casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) (01/10/89)

In article <3234@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:

>The desktop metaphor is just an analogy. Don't take it too seriously.

Yes indeed.  The best thing about the desktop metaphor is how very little
it resembles a desktop.

David Casseres

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (01/10/89)

In article <1752@fbog.UUCP> dbk@fbog.UUCP (Dave B. Kinzer @ Price Rd. GEG) writes:
>In article <3234@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>The desktop metaphor is just an analogy. Don't take it too seriously.

>He is right, you know.  If the desktop is the perfect workplace, we
>wouldn't need computers.

Speak for yourself.  *My* desktop is the perfect workplace.  It has an
Amiga on it.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (01/10/89)

In article <395@internal.Apple.COM> casseres@Apple.COM (David Casseres) writes:
)Yes indeed.  The best thing about the desktop metaphor is how very little
)it resembles a desktop.
)
)David Casseres

Even though I don't have my copy of "The Zen of Programming" with me I feel
compelled to paraphrase ...

  "The Master led the student to a room with a only a desk in it.  On the
   desk was a computer which displayed metaphorical desktop.

   `Can you tell the difference between the two desktops?' the Master asked.

   `Yes, Master, one of the desktops doesn't have a computer on it.'

   `No, foolish student, Neither desktop has a computer on it.'"

   The student was suddenly enlightened.

	jimm
--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"Like you said when we crawled down
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          from the trees: We're in transition."

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (01/11/89)

In article <12907@steinmetz.ge.com> perley@trub.steinmetz.ge.com (Donald P Perley) writes:
>In article <3234@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>Well, I asked "what in the real world are pull-down menus a metaphor for?". The
>>replies I've received are entertaining, if not definitive.
>They represent Postit(tm) notes stuck on your rolltop desk.

Nope ...

you don't use Postit notes for selecting things that can be done in
some environment.

Pull down menu's represent ... control knob type things on mechanical
devices????
--
<-- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert allen Jung) (01/11/89)

In article <1472@zen.UUCP> frank@zen.co.uk (Frank Wales) writes:
> The
>desktop metaphor sure isn't a true representation of any desktop I've seen,
>but then it does seem more useful the way it is.

  To address the original question, I always thought drop-down/pull-down/etc.
menus were a metaphor for actions you do on a desktop.

  Suppose you click on a file, then go to your respective menu and choose
"Show Info". Isn't this equvalent to grabbing a sheath of papers, then looking
at them to see what they're about?

  Okay, so the menu--action metaphor is a lot closer to the menu's intended
function; But since when do metaphors have to be abstract?

						--R.J.
						B-)

  Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
                                                             # ## #
  Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
                    (rjung@nunki.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##
                                                         ####  ##  ####

sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) (01/11/89)

In article <10867@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
[regarding pull-down menus]
>>They represent Postit(tm) notes stuck on your rolltop desk.
>Pull down menu's represent ... control knob type things on mechanical
>devices????

No, pull down menus represent Venetian blinds or pull down maps like
they had in grade school. It's the natural way to make your computer
selections...

Seriously, I'd like to see a more configurable windowing environment.
For example, through the use of a configuration, you could specify
positioning and function of depth gadgets, resizing gadgets, window
activation, scroll bars, etc. Sort of like a flexible window manager
like you can get for X-windows.

Thus, I could emulate a Mac, Sun, Amiga+dmouse, or what-have-you
environments.

Wouldn't that annoy Apple? Give the users the tools to build their own
Mac-like interface if they want. There'd be nothing they could do.

Sean
--
***  Sean Casey                        sean@ms.uky.edu,  sean@ukma.bitnet
***  Who sometimes never learns.       {backbone site|rutgers|uunet}!ukma!sean

In article <10867@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) writes:
>In article <12907@steinmetz.ge.com> perley@trub.steinmetz.ge.com (Donald P Perley) writes:
>>In article <3234@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>>Well, I asked "what in the real world are pull-down menus a metaphor for?". The
>>>replies I've received are entertaining, if not definitive.
>
>Pull down menu's represent ... control knob type things on mechanical
>devices????

	No, I've got it: they represent a series of infrared remotes hanging
above your head.  Just pull one down and use it....  :-) :-)

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

shf@well.UUCP (Stuart H. Ferguson) (01/12/89)

In article <3234@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Well, I asked "what in the real world are pull-down menus a metaphor for?".

Well, how about this ...

It's not a desktop -- it's a sorcerer's workshop.  The menus are the little
bags of magic powder that the wizard keeps in bigger bags.  Pulling down
a menu is opening the bag to see what little bags are inside.  Submenus are
bags within bags.  Selecting an item is taking a pinch of the powder and
sprinkling it on the item currently selected in the workshop.

So to send objects to alternate dimensions, you first "select" the object
and place it on the workbench.  Then you open the "File" bag and take out
a pinch of the "Delete" powder.  You mutter something and sprinkle it on
the selected item.  Then you mutter something less savory as the powder
does something you didn't expect.

The problem is that the only way to tell what these mysteriously labeled
powders do is to try them, and if you get the incantation wrong, you can
send yourself into alternate dimensions.  You wonder why people who
supposedly want to make computers easier to use would select such a
difficult metaphor.

;-)
--
		Stuart Ferguson		(shf@well.UUCP)
		Action by HAVOC

coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) (01/12/89)

In article <2308@nunki.usc.edu>, rjung@castor.usc.edu (Robert  allen Jung) writes:
>   To address the original question, I always thought drop-down/pull-down/etc.
> menus were a metaphor for actions you do on a desktop.
>
>   Suppose you click on a file, then go to your respective menu and choose
> "Show Info". Isn't this equvalent to grabbing a sheath of papers, then looking
> at them to see what they're about?

Can menus be replaced with something closer to the actions they
are a metaphor for?  When I want to edit a document I pick up a
pencil and put it to paper.  The metaphorical desktop could have a
pencil which could be grabbed by the pointer(ala MacPaint).
Clicking this pencil onto a file would then invoke the editor.
"Show Info" could be done with a magnifying glass giving you a
closer look at the file.   Or how about having a Xerox(tm) machine
on your desk which when fed a file spits out a duplicate?  Taken to
an extreme this could get really annoying.

> 						--R.J.
> 						B-)
>
>  -----------------------------------------------------------------------------
>   Disclaimer: These are my views, and mine alone.
>                                                              # ## #
>   Mailing address: Beats me, just reply to this message      # ## #
>                     (rjung@nunki.usc.edu?)                  ## ## ##
>                                                          ####  ##  ####

Stephen Coy
uw-beaver!ssc-vax!coy

scanner@netserv2.its.rpi.edu (Eric "Scanner" Luce) (01/12/89)

In article <5666@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>	No, I've got it: they represent a series of infrared remotes hanging
>above your head.  Just pull one down and use it....  :-) :-)
>
>Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

Gods but I wish that IR remotes were half as handy to use as a pull
down menu. (Ooops.. agh... no, not the garage door opener!)

I generally likened them to the useful little gadgets I had tucked away
in the drawers and slots on the top of the desk, the IR remotes being
to my left.. (So, what is a pop-up menu?)

--Scanner

------- scanner@itsgw.rpi.edu
------- userf0f3@rpitsmts.bitnet

jkrueger@daitc.daitc.mil (Jonathan Krueger) (01/12/89)

In article <10870@s.ms.uky.edu>, sean@ms (Sean Casey) writes:
>[regarding pull-down menus]
>>>They represent Postit(tm) notes stuck on your rolltop desk.
>>Pull down menu's represent ... control knob type things on mechanical
>>devices????
>
>No, pull down menus represent Venetian blinds or pull down maps like
>they had in grade school. It's the natural way to make your computer
>selections...

Close but no cigar.  Pull down menus, IMHO, represent the small panels
or doors that hide seldom used controls on equipment.  Thus they
represent something on your TV, not your desktop.  The motivation is
consistent: the controls are there when you need them, and the rest of
the time the display doesn't look so `busy'.

-- Jon "now where's the tuning eye" Krueger

In article <10870@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
>Wouldn't that annoy Apple? Give the users the tools to build their own
>Mac-like interface if they want. There'd be nothing they could do.

	Wanna bet?

	HP's windowing environment (sorry, forget the name) was completely
configurable by the user.  The default was not too similar to the Mac
"desktop".  Someone at Apple got a hold of one of these, fiddled with it for
a while, and ended up with something that looked pretty close to the Mac
"desktop".

	Apple sued HP and MicroSoft because of it.  Ta da.

	I wish people would start innovating again...

Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
 \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac

danielg@earl.med.unc.edu (Daniel Gene Sinclair) (01/12/89)

   Perhaps they are the menus we pull down at lunch time so that everyone
   can order Chinese.

hmm@laura.UUCP (Hans-Martin Mosner) (01/13/89)

In article <2470@ssc-vax.UUCP> coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) writes:
>Can menus be replaced with something closer to the actions they
>are a metaphor for?  When I want to edit a document I pick up a
>pencil and put it to paper.  The metaphorical desktop could have a
>pencil which could be grabbed by the pointer(ala MacPaint).
>Clicking this pencil onto a file would then invoke the editor.
>"Show Info" could be done with a magnifying glass giving you a
>closer look at the file.   Or how about having a Xerox(tm) machine
>on your desk which when fed a file spits out a duplicate?  Taken to
>an extreme this could get really annoying.
This has actually been done.  I think it is called 'active agents' or something
like that.  For example, instead of dragging a file into a trashcan, you
would drag an eraser onto a file.  Sort of like the difference between
postfix and prefix notation...  I don't know which I like better, maybe it
would be best if both ways of dealing with things were available.

	Hans-Martin

inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
inews fodder
--
Hans-Martin Mosner		| Don't tell Borland about Smalltalk - |
hmm@unido.{uucp,bitnet}		| they might invent Turbo Smalltalk !  |

In article <12@netserv2.its.rpi.edu> scanner@netserv2.UUCP (Eric "Scanner" Luce) writes:
>In article <5666@cbmvax.UUCP> jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
>>	No, I've got it: they represent a series of infrared remotes hanging
>>above your head.  Just pull one down and use it....  :-) :-)
>
>I generally likened them to the useful little gadgets I had tucked away
>in the drawers and slots on the top of the desk, the IR remotes being
>to my left.. (So, what is a pop-up menu?)
>
>--Scanner

Why, a pop-up menu is pulling an IR remote from thin air, of course.

Actually, the sick thing is that some modern (and pretty cheap) VCRs have
"help" keys on their remotes, on-screen help, and menus.  That's it, pull-down
menus are a metaphor for VCR menus run by IR remote!  :-) :-)

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

don@brillig.umd.edu (Don Hopkins) (01/13/89)

Using linear pull down menus is like having to climb ladders to get
where you're going.  There's a more natural metaphore for round pie
menus, though.  I think of pie menus as rooms with doors leading off
in different directions.  Navigating a tree of nested pie menus is
like running around a building or an adventure game.  You can learn
how to get to a certian selection, by remembering a spatial path from
room to room.  Then you just move the mouse along that path, clicking
through each door, and you're there.

	-Don

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (01/13/89)

A menu is like Life... just when you think you see what you are really
looking for.. it goes black..  :-) :-)

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

kehr@felix.UUCP (Shirley Kehr) (01/13/89)

In article <10320@well.UUCP> ewhac@well.UUCP (Leo 'Bols Ewhac' Schwab) writes:
<In article <10870@s.ms.uky.edu> sean@ms.uky.edu (Sean Casey) writes:
<>Wouldn't that annoy Apple? Give the users the tools to build their own
<>Mac-like interface if they want. There'd be nothing they could do.
<>
<	Wanna bet?
<
<	HP's windowing environment (sorry, forget the name) was completely
<configurable by the user.  The default was not too similar to the Mac
<"desktop".  Someone at Apple got a hold of one of these, fiddled with it for
<a while, and ended up with something that looked pretty close to the Mac
<"desktop".
<
<	Apple sued HP and MicroSoft because of it.  Ta da.
<
<	I wish people would start innovating again...
<
Did you see the letter in MacWorld (Feb) regarding fruit? Don Casey of
Dynatron asked Apple's legal department if it would be OK to use the logo
Flying Apple. "They faxed me a reply within two hours saying that they
will sue anyone who uses any piece of fruit as a logo for a 'computer
or computer peripheral device.'"

Shirley Kehr

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (01/14/89)

I just asked a non-expert-computer-user who happens to own a Mac

The view he eventually came up with is something like the "See Also"
tags that are in entries in Encyclopedia's.

But then he's been playing with Hype-Card lately.
--

fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) (01/14/89)

In article <849@laura.UUCP> hmm@laura.UUCP (Hans-Martin Mosner) writes:
>This has actually been done.  I think it is called 'active agents' or something
>like that.  For example, instead of dragging a file into a trashcan, you
>would drag an eraser onto a file.

How about an icon of a nuke.  You drag it over and drop it on your file
and you get a little dissolving mushroom shaped cloud...  :-)

-Fred
--
# Fred Fish, 1835 E. Belmont Drive, Tempe, AZ 85284,  USA
# asuvax!nud!estinc!fnf

billk@pnet01.cts.com (Bill W. Kelly) (01/14/89)

How about this?

Pulldown menus aren't a metaphor for anything.  They just make sense in
mouse-driven user-interfaces.
--
NAME: Bill W. Kelly
UUCP: {nosc ucsd hplabs!hp-sdd}!crash!pnet01!billk

"main() {printf(&unix["\021%six\012\0"],(unix)["have"]+"fun"-0x60);}"
                                            -- David Korn, AT&T Bell Labs

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (01/15/89)

In article <2470@ssc-vax.UUCP>, coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) writes:
> Can menus be replaced with something closer to the actions they
> are a metaphor for?  When I want to edit a document I pick up a
> pencil and put it to paper.  ...

Have a look at the original mouse-menus-icons user interface... the Xerox
Star. It worked much like this. To print a file you dropped it in the
printer icon, etc... this feature (a cool one) only survives in the Trashcan.

Maybe in browser 3.0... :->.
--

R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com (01/16/89)

In article: <13@estinc.UUCP>
	fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>In article <849@laura.UUCP> hmm@laura.UUCP (Hans-Martin Mosner) writes:
>>This has actually been done.  I think it is called 'active agents' or something
>>like that.  For example, instead of dragging a file into a trashcan, you
>>would drag an eraser onto a file.
>
>How about an icon of a nuke.  You drag it over and drop it on your file
>and you get a little dissolving mushroom shaped cloud...  :-)
Might that not be a bit of overkill? What if the blast wipes out a nearby
file too? And then there is the fallout.... ... .. .

(-: :-) (-: :-) (-: :-) (-: :-) (-: :-) (-: :-) (-: :-) (-: :-) -: :-) (-: :-)

                                        R. Tim Coslet

Usenet: R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com

jxc@rayssdb.ray.com (Jeffrey J. Clesius) (01/17/89)

In article <10320@well.UUCP> you write:

>	I wish people would start innovating again...

Golly, Leo,

It's sad to say, but the only way companies are going to start innovating
again is if everyone else is doing it!  :-)

>_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
>Leo L. Schwab -- The Guy in The Cape	INET: well!ewhac@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
> \_ -_		Recumbent Bikes:	UUCP: pacbell > !{well,unicom}!ewhac
>O----^o	   The Only Way To Fly.	      hplabs / (pronounced "AE-wack")
>"Work FOR?  I don't work FOR anybody!  I'm just having fun."  -- The Doctor
     __________   |           "You can lead a horse to water
    /         /_  |                   but you can't
   /         / /                   change a horse's ass!"
  /   From the desk of:  ----------------------------------------------------
 /________ / /       Jeffrey Jay Clesius,   Raytheon Submarine Signal Division
  /_________/     |  1847 West Main Road,   Mail Stop 188
 -----------------+----------------------------------------------------------
{ allegra | gatech | mirror | raybed2 } ----\
{ linus   | ihnp4  | uiucdcs } -------------->!rayssd!jxc   jxc@rayssd.ray.com

anderson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM (Joel Peter Anderson) (01/17/89)

In article <3284@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>In article <2470@ssc-vax.UUCP>, coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) writes:
>> Can menus be replaced with something closer to the actions they
>> are a metaphor for?...
>Have a look at the original mouse-menus-icons user interface... the Xerox
>Star. It worked much like this. To print a file you dropped it in the
>printer icon, etc... this feature (a cool one) only survives in the Trashcan.

Don't all desktops do this? ON MY COMMODORE 64 (at home) with the GEOS operating
system that is exactly how you print files. . . and it works for any
printing application... (think its about time to bring my '64 back to work to
replace this junky PC clone... unless I get a SUN...)
"We know only the strong will survive, But the meek will inherit.
 So if you've got a coat of arms, oh friend, I suggest we wear it."
					John Mellencamp.
  anderson@c10sd3.StPaul.NCR.COM |UUCP: {rosevax, crash}!orbit!pnet51!jpa
     Joel Peter Anderson         |ARPA: crash!orbit!pnet51!jpa@nosc.mil
  NCR Comten / Software engineer |INET: jpa@pnet51.cts.com  QLINK: JPA

In article <13579@cup.portal.com> R_Tim_Coslet@cup.portal.com writes:
>In article: <13@estinc.UUCP> fnf@estinc.UUCP (Fred Fish) writes:
>>
>>How about an icon of a nuke.  You drag it over and drop it on your file
>>and you get a little dissolving mushroom shaped cloud...  :-)
>
>Might that not be a bit of overkill? What if the blast wipes out a nearby
>file too? And then there is the fallout.... ... .. .

The fallout is already here...check the coverage of that Newsgroups line.

				--Blair
				  "I don't want this stuff upwind of ME...!"

sarathy@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Rajiv Sarathy) (01/18/89)

In article <15452@mimsy.UUCP> don@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Don Hopkins) writes:
>Using linear pull down menus is like having to climb ladders to get
>where you're going.  There's a more natural metaphore for round pie
>menus, though.  I think of pie menus as rooms with doors leading off
>in different directions.  Navigating a tree of nested pie menus is
>like running around a building or an adventure game.  You can learn
>how to get to a certian selection, by remembering a spatial path from
>room to room.  Then you just move the mouse along that path, clicking
>through each door, and you're there.
>
>	-Don

Actually, this has been done by XEROX.  It's called ROOMS, I think.
I've never actually seen it, but the guy who wrote it (I forget his name) was
up here, at the U of Toronto to give a talk on it.  He showed some 35mm slides
and it looks pretty cool.

From what I understand, it's available only on the Interlisp machine as of a
few months ago with plans on porting it to SUN workstations (and now maybe even
NeXT?).

It is almost exactly what Don wants to see in menus.  You go from room to room,
where each room has a different "desktop".  Actually, each room has a different
environment:  different wallpaper, even!

When you want to take stuff from your graphics room to your wordprocessing room,
you hold down a certain key.

To move from room to room, you click on the appropriate door.  Each room leads
to zero or more rooms, and a "backdoor" to get you back to the room where you
came from.

The system can also create a map, I think, showing all the rooms and how they're
connected.

It's much more impressive and natural than the Mac desktop, and probably even
nextstep (I've never used nextstep, only seen a demo at the university's
computer shop).

--Raj

| Disclaimer:  I'm just an undergrad.                                         |
| All views and opinions are therefore my own.                                |
| Rajiv Partha Sarathy                   sarathy@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca         |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (01/18/89)

In article <990@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM> anderson@ncrcce.StPaul.NCR.COM writes:
>In article <3284@sugar.uu.net> peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) writes:
>>In article <2470@ssc-vax.UUCP>, coy@ssc-vax.UUCP (Stephen B Coy) writes:
>>> Can menus be replaced with something closer to the actions they
>>> are a metaphor for?...
>>Have a look at the original mouse-menus-icons user interface... the Xerox
>>Star. It worked much like this. To print a file you dropped it in the
>>printer icon, etc... this feature (a cool one) only survives in the Trashcan.
>Don't all desktops do this? ON MY COMMODORE 64 (at home) with the GEOS operating
>system that is exactly how you print files. . . and it works for any

Well, why couldn't we do this on the Amiga?  We have an icon for the
rad: disk and the ram: disk, why couldn't an icon be made for the prt:
device?  Maybe in ARP wb replacement?  How about 1.4?  The actual
'disk.info' file could maybe live in s: or ENV: under 'prt.info'.  But
it should show up with the disk icons.

It sure would save a lot of trouble.  There is currently no easy way to
print a file from the workbench, which strikes me as being rather silly.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

arr@mtunf.ATT.COM (Andrew Raffman) (01/19/89)

In reference to having a printer icon into which files are dropped to print
things,
In article <15045@cisunx.UUCP>, ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) writes:

> Well, why couldn't we do this on the Amiga?  We have an icon for the
> rad: disk and the ram: disk, why couldn't an icon be made for the prt:
> device?  Maybe in ARP wb replacement?  How about 1.4?  The actual
> 'disk.info' file could maybe live in s: or ENV: under 'prt.info'.  But
> it should show up with the disk icons.
>
> It sure would save a lot of trouble.  There is currently no easy way to
> print a file from the workbench, which strikes me as being rather silly.

	When I first got my amiga, I wrote a program called
devbuf (or something like that), which would automatically
create a directory, copy a .info file into it, and
then wait for files to be dropped into the directory.
When new file appeared in the directory, it would launch a
program, passing the name of the file to the program, and
then delete the file after the program had exited. The syntax for calling it
was:
	prnbuf directory icon prog [arg1 .. argm] <> [argm+1..argn]
where:
	directory was where the buffer should be set up
	icon was a .info file to be copied to the directory
	prog was a program to run when a file was placed in the directory
	arg1..argn were the arguments to the program
	<> (I think) was where the name of the file would be filled in.

To set up a printer buffer in ram:, I would type:
	run prnbuf ram:printer s:printer.info copy from <> to prt:

After this point, a new icon would appear in RAM: (which I would then move
out onto Workbench) which would be my printer device. To print file test.txt,
I would drop drop the file into the icon, which automatically fire off:
	copy from ram:printer/test.txt to prt:
	delete ram:printer/test.txt
To look at the print queue, just double click on the icon.

	The code to do this was only about 100 lines, most of which was
for looking for new files in the directory and ignoring .info files (which
shouldn't be printed). Unfortunately, I lost the source,
but it shouldn't be that hard to recreate. The advantage of this approach
is that it doesn't require a driver, and is infinitely configurable by the
user. Has anyone done something else like this?

Andy Raffman
AT&T Information Systems
mtunf!arr

mullins@pitt.UUCP (Paul M. Mullins) (01/20/89)

> Actually, this has been done by XEROX.  It's called ROOMS, I think.
> I've never actually seen it, but the guy who wrote it (I forget his name) was
> up here, at the U of Toronto to give a talk on it.  He showed some 35mm slides
> and it looks pretty cool.
>
> --Raj

%A S.K. Card
%A D.A. Henderson
%T A Multiple Virtual-Workspace Interface to Support User Task
Switching
%B CHI'87 Conf on Human Factors in Com Syst, Toronto
%I ACM/SIGCHI
%D Apr 6-9, 1987

%A D.A. Henderson
%A S.K. Card
%T Rooms: The Use of Multiple Virtual Workspaces to Reduce Space
Contention in a Window-Based Graphical User Interface
%J ACM TOG
%V 5
%N 3
%D July, 1986
%P 211-243

don@brillig.umd.edu (Don Hopkins) (01/21/89)

>>Using linear pull down menus is like having to climb ladders to get
>>where you're going.  There's a more natural metaphore for round pie
>>menus, though.  I think of pie menus as rooms with doors leading off
>>in different directions.
>>[...]
>>	-Don

>Actually, this has been done by XEROX.  It's called ROOMS, I think.
>I've never actually seen it, but the guy who wrote it (I forget his name) was
>up here, at the U of Toronto to give a talk on it.  He showed some 35mm slides
>and it looks pretty cool.
>[...]
>It is almost exactly what Don wants to see in menus.  You go from
>room to room, where each room has a different "desktop".  Actually,
>each room has a different environment: different wallpaper, even!
>[...]
>--Raj

I've heard about Rooms, and I like the idea a lot. But what I'm
talking about is pie menus. i.e. not full screen desktop layouts, but
circular pop-up menus, as a metaphore for rooms. I think that the two
metaphores are well matched and could be combined synergistically.

In the pie menu "room" metaphore, a "room" is a menu, and a "door" is
a menu item.

You point to an object on the screen and click to pop up a pie menu of
items relating to that object.

The pie menu pops up with the cursor in the middle of the room, with
the doors arranged in a circle around the cursor, all leading off in
different directions.

You go through a door by moving the cursor in its direction and
clicking. Going through a door either completes the selection, causing
some action to be performed on the object, or leads you to another
room, popping up another pie submenu.

The important difference between pop-up pie menus and pull-down linear
menus is that pie menus are based on direction, and linear menus are
based on distance. With pie menus, the cursor motion necessary to make
a selection is always small, and the area of the wedge shaped
selection targets is large. You can indicate a direction without
looking at the screen, and you get more and more angular precision as
you move the cursor out further. Furthermore, they're non-proprietary,
so nobody will sue you for implementing them!

Here are a couple of references to work we've done with pie menus. If
you use the NeWS window system, I'd be glad to send you my public
domain implementation of pie menus, and a window manager designed to
use them efficiently, written in object oriented PostScript.

	-Don

Directional Selection is Easy as Pie Menus!
  By Don Hopkins
  ;login: The USENIX Association Newsletter
  Volume 12, Number 5; September/October 1987; Page 31
  Summary of the Work-in-Progress talk given at the 1987 Summer
  Usenix Conference in Phoenix.

A Comparative Analysis of Pie Menu Performance
  By Jack Callahan, Don Hopkins, Mark Weiser, and Ben Shneiderman
  Proc. CHI'88 conference, Washington D.C.: available from ACM, NY.

In article <15562@mimsy.UUCP> don@brillig.umd.edu.UUCP (Don Hopkins) writes:
>>>Using linear pull down menus is like having to climb ladders to get
>>>where you're going.  There's a more natural metaphore for round pie
>>>menus, though.  I think of pie menus as rooms with doors leading off
>>>in different directions.
>>>[...]
>>>	-Don
>
>>Actually, this has been done by XEROX.  It's called ROOMS, I think.
>>I've never actually seen it, but the guy who wrote it (I forget his name) was

I was walking up the stairs from the Xerox room the other day; it's
something I do eight or twelve times a day, now that the li'l stoonts
need lots of handouts for their li'l edification.

Ennyhoo (Is there _anyone_ more pleased that Pogo is back in the papers
than me?), I was flipping my keys for the eight or twelfth time that day,
and I realized:

	Pulldown menus are a ring of keys.

	You pull them out of your pocket,
	and select the the one that opens
	your next venue, or activates
	your next tool.

I need a carrot.

				--Blair
				  "Munch, Munch."

jtn@potomac.ads.com (John T. Nelson) (01/30/89)

I guess the discussion of alternate desktop metaphors (or perhaps I
should just say "alternate metaphors") leads to the rhetorical
question... is NeXT sufficiently modular that we can port the
interface of our choosing to it?

The Xerox ROOMS metaphor sounds pretty cool (Don Hopkins first
described his ideas to me for an alternate menuing interface a couple
years ago and were probably independent of Xerox).

--

John T. Nelson			UUCP: sun!sundc!potomac!jtn
Advanced Decision Systems	Internet:  jtn@potomac.ads.com

"The only thing more useless than a Faberge' egg is a coffee table
picture book about Faberge' eggs"

glasscoc@cica.indiana.edu (John Glasscock) (02/05/89)

You people who are cross-posting to comp.sys.next and all the
other groups probably ought to re-think it.  Post ONLY to
the single group that pertains to your subject.

Type Pnews, or whatever command is resident to your system to
originate an article.  If you are following up an article, amend
the  newsgroups header to the single group that is most appropriate.

When all else fails, reread the files in the newusers and important
newsgroups talking about etiquette.  I got chewed out for this
once, too, so I thought you may want a gentle reminder.

John Glasscock                          Indiana University
glasscoc@cica.cica.indiana.edu          Bloomington, Indiana