[comp.sys.amiga] PORTAL

NU111414@NDSUVM1.BITNET (03/16/88)

  Could someone please tell me what how good a system Portal is.  How
is the Amiga download section?

                             Thanks for your time,
                             Ryan Harlicker.

guest@hpfclr.HP.COM (Guest account) (01/19/89)

I am thinking about buying a membership to PORTAL.  I sort want to know what
my $10 bucks buys me.  Does acces to USENET give one access to these notes
files?  What else is on PORTAL?

One of my main reasons for wanting to access PORTAL is to be able to read
these notes files outside of work.

Doug Quarnstrom

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/20/89)

In article <11300005@hpfclr.HP.COM> guest@hpfclr.HP.COM (Guest account) writes:
>I am thinking about buying a membership to PORTAL.  I sort want to know what
>my $10 bucks buys me.

Your $10 buys you, expressed in `C':

		IQ -= 50;

>Does acces to USENET give one access to these notes files?

Yes, but not shell access. Portal users protected from the harsh bitter
realities of UNIX.

>What else is on PORTAL?

Gaggles of giggling teenagers.

>One of my main reasons for wanting to access PORTAL is to be able to read
>these notes files outside of work.

Try killer in tejas. It's unix. It's free.

--
   ``In a few years, the only thing that will be made in America is a deal''
richard@gryphon.COM   {...}!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

sirius@well.UUCP (Mike Stilson) (01/22/89)

In article <10935@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <11300005@hpfclr.HP.COM> guest@hpfclr.HP.COM (Guest account) writes:
>>I am thinking about buying a membership to PORTAL.  I sort want to know what
>>my $10 bucks buys me.
>
>Your $10 buys you, expressed in `C':
>
>		IQ -= 50;

Rich, have you ever been on there?  How does it automatically reduce your IQ?
It's rather different, but I happen to think that Unix is rather simple..  And
rn is much less complicated while being much more cryptic than portal.

>>Does acces to USENET give one access to these notes files?
>
>Yes, but not shell access. Portal users protected from the harsh bitter
>realities of UNIX.

What do you need shell access for if you just want to read/post messages?
Admittedly, shell access is very nice for breaking up shar/uuencoded/etc files,
but even that can be gotten around easily if you have half a brain.

In any case, most of us DO ask & yell for shell access there..

>>What else is on PORTAL?
>
>Gaggles of giggling teenagers.

Sorry, you must be thinking of CI$ here..

They have a large number of sigs there, for nearly every subject you want.
And a rather unique chat area, where contrary to what Mr Sexton says, there
are many rather relevant discussions (and lots of meaningless BS, also.. but
since when is talking to others such a minus for a system?).

>>One of my main reasons for wanting to access PORTAL is to be able to read
>>these notes files outside of work.
>
>Try killer in tejas. It's unix. It's free.

It's also annoying to try to get through to, which you can spend a LOT of time
doing.  Portal's accessable via Telenut/PCP  (C PORTAL,id,pa), and usually
isn't busy.

--

         ____
        / / /  Amiga 1000   | Mike "Sirius" Stilson  -  Sirius Software

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (01/23/89)

In article <10441@well.UUCP> sirius@well.UUCP (Mike Stilson) writes:
>In article <10935@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>>In article <11300005@hpfclr.HP.COM> guest@hpfclr.HP.COM (Guest account) writes:
>>>I am thinking about buying a membership to PORTAL.  I sort want to know what
>>>my $10 bucks buys me.
>>
>>Your $10 buys you, expressed in `C':
>>
>>		IQ -= 50;
>
>Rich, have you ever been on there?

No way. I are not very intellijunt, and I can't afford to risk it.

--
                         Corona and foolish drinks.
richard@gryphon.COM   {...}!gryphon!richard   gryphon!richard@elroy.jpl.nasa.gov

Schizoid@cup.portal.com (FRED APPLE BONHOTAL) (02/05/89)

richard@gryphon writes:

>Try killer in tejas [sic].  It's unix.  It's free.

It's inaccessible.  Ever try to actually get INTO that site?  It ain't easy.

schizoid@cup.portal.com

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/06/89)

In article <14314@cup.portal.com> Schizoid@cup.portal.com (FRED APPLE BONHOTAL) writes:
>richard@gryphon writes:
>
>>Try killer in tejas [sic].  It's unix.  It's free.

What is this [sic] garbage ? I meant to spell it that way. It's
a joke, you pea brained portalite nimrod.

>It's inaccessible.  Ever try to actually get INTO that site?  It ain't easy.

Try dialing a second time.

--
                      ``Kern letters with a hacksaw''
decwrl!gryphon!richard        killer!gryphon!richard       elroy!gryphon!richard

jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US (John F. Haugh II) (02/06/89)

In article <14314@cup.portal.com>, Schizoid@cup.portal.com (FRED APPLE BONHOTAL) writes:
> richard@gryphon writes:
> >Try killer in tejas [sic].  It's unix.  It's free.
>
> It's inaccessible.  Ever try to actually get INTO that site?  It ain't easy.

Bullshit.  I get in numerous times every day.

% who /etc/wtmp | grep killer | wc -l
     22
%

Twenty-two since 4am.  Did you try dialing a second time?
--
John F. Haugh II                        +--Quote of the Week:------------------
VoiceNet: (214) 250-3311   Data: -6272  | "Get it through your head:

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/06/89)

In article <11668@gryphon.COM>, richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

> >>Try killer in tejas [sic].  It's unix.  It's free.

> What is this [sic] garbage ? I meant to spell it that way. It's
> a joke, you pea brained portalite nimrod.

You forgot to crosspost to alt.flame.  It's a pity, too, because alt.flame
has been worthless lately.  I tried reading it the other day for some quality
flames, and it seemed to contain nothing but an endless chain of crossposted
gibberish from alt.sex.  The flame-to-noise ratio is so low I'm going to have
to start using 'rn' and a kill file just to slog through it -- jesus!
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "We've been following your progress with considerable
-- karl@sugar.uu.net |  interest, not to say contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV

karl@sugar.uu.net (Karl Lehenbauer) (02/07/89)

In article <12300@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US>, jfh@rpp386.Dallas.TX.US
(John F. Haugh II) writes:
> Bullshit.  I get in numerous times every day.

> % who /etc/wtmp | grep killer | wc -l
>      22

> Twenty-two since 4am.  Did you try dialing a second time?

?????  Is it not true that the above statement counts the number
of times killer called you, not the number of times you called killer?
So it's irrelevant, and unfair to use against 'Schizoid,' right?

Even beyond that, robodialing constantly with uucp isn't the same as doing it
by hand -- you don't care when it doesn't get through because you're at work
or asleep or something, whereas the hand-dialer has to sit and wait for it.
Further, no doubt it's easier to get in at 4 AM than during prime time.

Are you into Amigas now, John, grepping news for portal postings, or what? :-)
--
-- uunet!sugar!karl  | "We've been following your progress with considerable
-- karl@sugar.uu.net |  interest, not to say contempt."  -- Zaphod Beeblebrox IV
-- Usenet BBS (713) 438-5018

Doug_B_Erdely@cup.portal.com (02/07/89)

Folks, can we please stop this here and now. This is not alt.flame.

          - Doug -

 Doug_B_Erdely@Portal.Cup.Com