[comp.sys.amiga] Follow-up: 2090A vs. Microbitics Hardframe

jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Joseph M. Piazza) (02/07/89)

	Original posting:

>	I've narrowed my search for a DMA SCSI controller for my New 2000
>down to the 2090A and the Microbotics Hardframe.  Since their prices are
>similar, which should I buy?  I'm leaning towards he 2090A:  after all,
>it's a Commodore.  Is there anything significantly different about the
>Hardframe?

	Thanks to all who responded.  It turns out that the most crucial
difference is the fact the the Hardframe isn't readily available.  So, I
now own a A2090A and I'm very happy with it.  I think I would also have been
happy with the Hardframe.

	I had originally ordered the Hardframe since it cost $50 less --
a larger saving than what I had imagined.  Following up on my order a week
later I discovered that the Hardframes were on back-order whereas the A2090A
was in stock.

In summary, a brief comparison of Hardframe and A2090A:

*	The Hardframe can function as a hard card by mounting an
	appropriate hard disk to it.

*	The Hardframe doesn't require an Old-File-System partition to
	auto-boot as the A2090A does.  (The A2090A should be able to do the
	same in the future with new ROMs.)

*	Both are DMA (i.e., they're  f a s t  on large block transfers) and
	support up to seven SCSI devices.

*	The A2090A can also control up to two(?) ST506 (PC-type) drives.

Flip side,

	joe piazza

---
In capitalism, man exploits man.
In communism, it's the other way around.

CS Dept. SUNY at Buffalo 14260
UUCP: ..!{ames,boulder,decvax,rutgers}!sunybcs!jmpiazza         GEnie:jmpiazza
BITNET: jmpiazza@sunybcs.BITNET         Internet: jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.edu

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (02/07/89)

In article <4039@cs.Buffalo.EDU> jmpiazza@cs.Buffalo.EDU (Joseph M. Piazza) writes:
=-
=-	Thanks to all who responded.  It turns out that the most crucial
=-difference is the fact the the Hardframe isn't readily available.  So, I
=-now own a A2090A and I'm very happy with it.

	I guess next day air from InterComputing in TX for $239.00 is 'not
readily available.'  Then again, this was a month ago, when I got mine.  The
amazing thing was, even with TX sales tax, iC was still cheaper than anyplace
else...	That said, the Hardframe + Quantum 80S blows the jumpers off anything
else, especially my old 2090 + Miniscribe 2650.  As far as the GVP hardcards
go, the Hardframe is faster, more sturdily constructed, and you get to choose
ANY SCSI drive.

	No contest.
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|