[comp.sys.amiga] SIT, Set Icon Type

svermeulen@Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA (Steve Vermeulen) (02/06/89)

| Well I just tried IconType, and it produced the most spectacular
| crash I've ever seen.  Just after compiling it, this is what I did:
|
| The TEST icon showed up in the SYS2: window.  I single-clicked on it and
| chose INFO from the menu and verified that the icon was of type Drawer.
| Then I double-clicked the icon.  Boy, you should have seen the fireworks!

The first version of SIT did this too, I discovered this one day when
trying to convert a project icon into a disk icon and found that I had
produced a killer (mutant ninja :-) disk icon.  This icon alone took the
prize for the most spectacular crash I have ever seen in 3 years of
Amiga hacking, I still have the icon, should I post it to
binaries/screen_hacks :-) :-) :-)

| It looks like I will have to use SIT from Fish Disk #137 instead of IconType.
| The Set-Icon-Type program by Stephen Vermeulen knows that you can't change
| a Tool icon to a Drawer icon by simply rewriting one byte.  SIT reads an
| existing Drawer/Disk/Trashcan icon to get the proper info for setting up
| the do_DrawerInfo field.
|
| So, Larry, did you actually test your program?

Actually, I don't like the way Larry is doing the changing of icon types,
since he is accessing the disk versions of the icons (as these are sort
of "WorkBench private") and the RKM says this about the ".info" files:

     Most people will not access the info file directly.  The icon
     manipulation library does all the work needed to read and write
     info files...

For this reason SIT uses the icon library routines to get and return the
icons from/to the disk.  However, the documentation on what you can do
with the various fields once they are in memory is also sketchy at best.

| > |   //   Larry Phillips                                                |
| > | \X/    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca or uunet!van-bc!lpami!lphillips  |
| --
| Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | jms@antares.Tymnet.COM[131.146.3.1] or jms@opus
| McDonnell Douglas FSCO  | UUCP: {ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!antares!jms

Stephen Vermeulen
Author: Express Paint
Newsletter Editor of AMUC
SVermeulen%Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA@Uncaedu.BITnet

In <890206083536.01i@Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA>, svermeulen@Janus.MRC.AdhocNet.CA (Steve Vermeulen) writes:
>The first version of SIT did this too, I discovered this one day when
>trying to convert a project icon into a disk icon and found that I had
>produced a killer (mutant ninja :-) disk icon.  This icon alone took the
>prize for the most spectacular crash I have ever seen in 3 years of
>Amiga hacking, I still have the icon, should I post it to
>binaries/screen_hacks :-) :-) :-)

Odd, I used to use IconType to make disk icons, and never had a crash from one.
I don't know if I made any from 'project' icons though. Is that the criterion
for creating a 'killer disk icon'? As I mentioned in another posting, I never
had any problems with it, and I did put it to a lot of use before I got totally
fed up with WB and stopped using it.

>Actually, I don't like the way Larry is doing the changing of icon types,
>since he is accessing the disk versions of the icons (as these are sort
>of "WorkBench private") and the RKM says this about the ".info" files:
>
>     Most people will not access the info file directly.  The icon
>     manipulation library does all the work needed to read and write
>     info files...
>
>For this reason SIT uses the icon library routines to get and return the
>icons from/to the disk.  However, the documentation on what you can do
>with the various fields once they are in memory is also sketchy at best.

Looking at the RKM _now_, I see the icon.library stuff. I did not see it when I
wrote IconType, and have no idea why. Oh well.

Compuserve. Please pull it or have it pulled wherever you find it posted. There
will be no further work done on it from me. The code is there if you want to
make it work.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.
|   //   Larry Phillips                                                |
| \X/    lphillips@lpami.wimsey.bc.ca or uunet!van-bc!lpami!lphillips  |
|        COMPUSERVE: 76703,4322                                        |