[comp.sys.amiga] SCSI interfaces

csjlb@mtsu.UUCP (Julian Brown) (02/03/89)

   Here is a question about the different SCSI interfaces. I have an
Amiga 1000 and am looking at either the Cltd., or Supra interface. The
problem is that I already have a memory expansion box on the side that
does not pass the bus. Do either of these interfaces pass the bus?
          Thank you!

     Julian L. Brown
     Computer Science                             "Hey, Look! There's
     Middle Tennessee State University               the ground!"
     killer!mjbtn!mtsu!csjlb                                -Opus

scotty@ziggy.UUCP (Scott Drysdale) (02/04/89)

In article <138@mtsu.UUCP> csjlb@mtsu.UUCP (Julian Brown) writes:

>   Here is a question about the different SCSI interfaces. I have an
>Amiga 1000 and am looking at either the Cltd., or Supra interface. The
>problem is that I already have a memory expansion box on the side that
>does not pass the bus. Do either of these interfaces pass the bus?
>          Thank you!

the CLtd will pass the bus if you buy the option that goes along with it.  i
think you can get a cltd controller for around $175 and the passthru option
is $25.  they have a new version of the controller out - maybe it's more
expensive and maybe it's got the passthru built it, don't know.  give them
a call at 316 267 0202.

i don't know about the supra interface.

mikes@lakesys.UUCP (Mike Shawaluk) (02/05/89)

In article <168@ziggy.UUCP> scotty@ziggy.UUCP (Scott Drysdale) writes:
>In article <138@mtsu.UUCP> csjlb@mtsu.UUCP (Julian Brown) writes:
>> (stuff deleted; wants to know which SCSI interfaces for the A1000 pass the
>>  bus...)
>
>the CLtd will pass the bus if you buy the option that goes along with it.  i
>think you can get a cltd controller for around $175 and the passthru option
>is $25.  they have a new version of the controller out - maybe it's more
>expensive and maybe it's got the passthru built it, don't know.  give them
>a call at 316 267 0202.
>
>i don't know about the supra interface.

I recently bought Supra's SupraDrive 4x4 interface for the A1000, and can
attest that it passes the bus, although I don't use that facility at the
present.  I also wanted to comment on the above referenced price of $175 (or
thereabouts).  When I priced these interfaces, the CLtd one was considerably
higher than the Supra; its list price, for the 1000, was $299, whereas the
list price of their A500 interface was only $199!  I can't understand why
there would be such a price difference between a peripheral for the 1000 and
the same one for the 500, unless the unit for the 1000 was being considered a
"special" or a low-quantity-build situation, since it is a discontinued
machine, and there are probably more 500's out there now that there are
1000's (sniff sniff).
--
   - Mike Shawaluk
     ...!uunet!marque!lakesys!mikes

cheung@vu-vlsi.Villanova.EDU (Wilson Cheung) (02/07/89)

In article <168@ziggy.UUCP>, scotty@ziggy.UUCP (Scott Drysdale) writes:
> In article <138@mtsu.UUCP> csjlb@mtsu.UUCP (Julian Brown) writes:
> >
> >   Here is a question about the different SCSI interfaces. I have an
> >Amiga 1000 and am looking at either the Cltd., or Supra interface. The
> >problem is that I already have a memory expansion box on the side that
> >does not pass the bus. Do either of these interfaces pass the bus?
> >          Thank you!
>
> the CLtd will pass the bus if you buy the option that goes along with it.  i
> think you can get a cltd controller for around $175 and the passthru option
> is $25.  they have a new version of the controller out - maybe it's more
> expensive and maybe it's got the passthru built it, don't know.  give them
> a call at 316 267 0202.

The CLtd pass thru is terrible.  Consider the following connecting the CLtd
creates one junction, connecting the pass thru creates a second junction, and
connecting the expansion box to the pass thru creates a third junction,
finally if there is a memory board that plugs into a slot inside the box you
get a fourth junction for digital signals to try to pass through.  Its
extremely unlikely that you will be able to get anything to work off the
pass thru.

					Wilson Cheung

jgary@ms.uky.edu (James E. Gary) (02/07/89)

OOps, deleted the 'so and so writes line'. Wilson Cheung writes:

>The CLtd pass thru is terrible.  Consider the following connecting the CLtd
>creates one junction, connecting the pass thru creates a second junction, and
>connecting the expansion box to the pass thru creates a third junction,
>finally if there is a memory board that plugs into a slot inside the box you
>get a fourth junction for digital signals to try to pass through.  Its
>extremely unlikely that you will be able to get anything to work off the
>pass thru.
>
>					Wilson Cheung

I have a Microbotics Starboard, a C-LTD. SCSI controller and a LIVE!
digitizer hooked to my 1000 in that order with no problems. I think that
CLtd's passthrough is a little silly, but it works for me.

| James Gary   jgary@ms.uky.edu     | You Klingon sons, you've killed|
|    University of Kentucky         | my bastard!  -Kames Jirk       |