[comp.sys.amiga] Graphics Tablets

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) (02/07/89)

	I asked this question about 4-5 months ago but I got no
reply, so I'll ask again. I was looking for an inexpensive alternative
to the EASYL! and SummaGraphics graphics tablets. I noticed that the
old C-64 Koala Pad has a 9-pin connector, identical to the Amiga Mouse
and Trackballs available. So I asked myself, "Self, how would you go
about interfacing this kind of tablet to your Amy?" Well, Self didn't
have any answers, so I am probing the VAST knowledge of the 'NET to
help me out.

	Specifically, I have a SUNCOM graphics tablet that I picked up
used (but it works fine as I tested it and the accompanying software on
a friends C-64). What I don't have is any technical specs on it or on
Koala-type pads in general. What is the output/input of each of the 9
pins? Specifically, what kind of high/low voltages drives the pad, what
is the form of the output, how does the bloody thing work, and how do I
read the output into my AMY????? I did see Bryce Nesbitt's (spelling?)
article on pin I/O for Mice, Trackballs, and Joysticks of various types,
yet even he left out the VENERABLE Graphics Tablet.

	Let me point out that I have very little programming experience and
 very miniscule knowledge of C (but I am learning!!). Therefore, I would
appreciate a detailed yet simple explanation for my INEXPERIENCED brain. Any
code would help considerably.

	When I originally posted these questions, the only response I
got was someone (I don't remember who it was) who wanted to know the same
thing. Also, the ability to use a $20-$40 graphics tablet would allow
many more Amiga users to get into this area. Thus, instead of e-mail, I urge
that all respondents post on either Comp.sys.amiga.tech or Comp.sys.amiga
(preferably the FORMER!!!!!) so that many of us poor Amy users may benefit.

	Finally, I noticed that, in AEGIS' latest products (specifically
Lights! Camera! Action!), a KOALA PAD interfact HAS BEEN INCLUDED!!!
I have attempted to contact AEGIS to find out if they could tell me how
to interface my SUNCOM tablet, or even send (or sell) me the code for the
interface portion of the program. I have left at least 6 messages on their
machine, but I have not been able to get any response. If anyone out there
in NETLAND is from AEGIS, perhaps you can contact me through e-mail.

	OKAY, enough babbling. Signing off:

#                                                                             #
#                          MORE LASERS, MORE FUN!!                            #
#   ---------------------->  (>  [believe it or not, this is an eye & laser   #
#                                 beam]                                       #
#      				Scott "ONE GOOD EYE" Sutherland               #

sutherla@qtp.ufl.edu (scott sutherland) (02/08/89)

Article 4259 of comp.sys.amiga.tech: