[comp.sys.amiga] Quieter fan for the 2000?

phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) (01/26/89)

I've finally suppressed my objections to the 2000 - physical largeness
(harder to travel with), noisier fan, port incompatibility with the 1000,
and the possibility of my checking account suffering a direct nuke hit -
and done the dirty deed.  Last night I traded my 1000 (and $1200) for a 2000.

I'm pretty happy with the move so far, except that since I use the Amiga
almost exclusively for music, the stock fan has got to go - I think the
"music" that it makes is very boring and much too loud.  I have heard
mention here of somebody swapping in a much quieter (Radio Shack??) fan
that actually moves more air.  Three questions:

	1) What fan(s) fit(s) this description?
	2) How does one find out how much air the stock 2000 fan moves?
	3) Will the fan swap void my warrantee?

Thanks for the help.

		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov  OR  phil@eos.UUCP)

lhoward@esunix.UUCP (Larry Howard) (01/27/89)

From article <2414@eos.UUCP>, by phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone):
> I'm pretty happy with the move so far, except that since I use the Amiga
> almost exclusively for music, the stock fan has got to go - I think the
> "music" that it makes is very boring and much too loud.  I have heard
> mention here of somebody swapping in a much quieter (Radio Shack??) fan
> that actually moves more air.  Three questions:
>
> 	1) What fan(s) fit(s) this description?

  The one I replaced it with I found in a Digi-Key catalog.
It's a Panasonic model FBH-08A, Digi-Key #P9962-ND.  Cost is $24 for
quantity one.

> 	2) How does one find out how much air the stock 2000 fan moves?

  No idea, but the one I installed moves 20.5 CFM and is rated at 22 dB.

> 	3) Will the fan swap void my warrantee?

  Probably, so wait 'til the 90 days are up and then do it.  My original
fan lasted 10 months before it got so out of balance that you could hear
it anywhere in the house!

> Thanks for the help.
>
> 		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov  OR  phil@eos.UUCP)

Larry Howard

{ihnp4,seismo}!utah-cs!utah-gr!uplherc!esunix!lhoward
* It is astonishing that a collection of statements that are individually
true can be used, in combination, to yield an effect that the truth
should not.                    * R. Giskard Reventlov *
--

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (01/31/89)

In article <1208@esunix.UUCP>, lhoward@esunix.UUCP (Larry Howard) writes:
> From article <2414@eos.UUCP>, by phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone):
>> I'm pretty happy with the move so far, except that since I use the Amiga
>> almost exclusively for music, the stock fan has got to go - I think the
>> "music" that it makes is very boring and much too loud.  I have heard
>> mention here of somebody swapping in a much quieter (Radio Shack??) fan
>> that actually moves more air.  Three questions:
>>
>> 	1) What fan(s) fit(s) this description?
>
>   The one I replaced it with I found in a Digi-Key catalog.
> It's a Panasonic model FBH-08A, Digi-Key #P9962-ND.  Cost is $24 for
> quantity one.
>
>> 		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov  OR  phil@eos.UUCP)
> Larry Howard

Another trick you can do that is easier and cheaper than
replacing the entire fan is to put a Two Microfarad non-polar,
200 volt at least capacitor in series with the existing fan.
This will drop just enough voltage to quiet a muffin fan down to
reasonable levels.  I ran a fan modified like this for years with
my 1541 disk drives.  If the fan runs too slow, try 3
microfarads, if it is still too fast, 1 microfarad.  Most muffin
fans won't start with one microfarad though.

The advantage of the capacitor as a voltage dropping device is
that it dissipates no heat.  If you do this with a resistor it
will get VERY hot.  Don't try to use one of those light dimmer
SCR type fan speed controls as they radiate so much RFI it will
screw up your computer.
--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh

perley@trub.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (01/31/89)

In article <2758@mibte.UUCP> jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
>In article <1208@esunix.UUCP>, lhoward@esunix.UUCP (Larry Howard) writes:
>> From article <2414@eos.UUCP>, by phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone):
>>>   I have heard
>>> mention here of somebody swapping in a much quieter (Radio Shack??) fan
>>> that actually moves more air.  Three questions:

>>> 	1) What fan(s) fit(s) this description?

The Radio Shack fan is a 3" DC brushless, about $14.  I bought one but
haven't gotten around to installing it yet.  The posting I read about
it warned that this one is a tight fit.  The Panasonic fan someone
mentioned has a lower db spec so that sounds like a better solution.

>Another trick you can do that is easier and cheaper than
>replacing the entire fan is to put a Two Microfarad non-polar,
>200 volt at least capacitor in series with the existing fan.
>This will drop just enough voltage to quiet a muffin fan down to
>reasonable levels.

I think this technique would be more appropriate for an AC fan.

-don perley

cjp@antique.UUCP (Charles Poirier) (02/01/89)

If you plan on adding a hard disk to your 2000, the fan noise
(objectionable though it is) may be a moot point.  The HD itself can
be twice as loud as the stock fan.  Mine is.  C'est la vie.

--
	Charles Poirier   (decvax,ucbvax,mcnc,attmail)!vax135!cjp

   "Docking complete...       Docking complete...       Docking complete..."

perley@trub.steinmetz (Donald P Perley) (02/01/89)

In article <2525@antique.UUCP> vax135!cjp (Charles Poirier) writes:
>If you plan on adding a hard disk to your 2000, the fan noise
>(objectionable though it is) may be a moot point.  The HD itself can
>be twice as loud as the stock fan.  Mine is.  C'est la vie.

I guess that depends on your hard drive.  I can't hear my drive
with the sound the fan makes.  Well... I can hear seeks, but the fan
is still much louder.  Especially on startup when the fan occasionally
switches between jet engine mode and garbage disposal.

-don perley

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (02/02/89)

In article <13057@steinmetz.ge.com> perley@trub.steinmetz.ge.com (Donald P Perley) writes:
=-
=-The Radio Shack fan is a 3" DC brushless, about $14.  I bought one but
=-haven't gotten around to installing it yet.  The posting I read about
=-it warned that this one is a tight fit.  The Panasonic fan someone
=-mentioned has a lower db spec so that sounds like a better solution.
=-
	Yes, that was my posting.  Except for three weeks at Christmas time, the
Radio Shaft fan has been running uninterrupted.  Dust accumulation has made it
somewhat noisier, but it's still significantly quieter than the original Taiwan
Turbine (not that the RS fans aren't probably also made in Taiwan).
	I agree that the Panasonic is probably better, but would you believe, on
the day I needed it, the RS was the ONLY 12VDC fan to be had in Austin?

=-
=-In article <2758@mibte.UUCP> jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) writes:
=->
=->Another trick you can do that is easier and cheaper than
=->replacing the entire fan is to put a Two Microfarad non-polar,
=->200 volt at least capacitor in series with the existing fan.
=->This will drop just enough voltage to quiet a muffin fan down to
=->reasonable levels.
=-
=-I think this technique would be more appropriate for an AC fan.
=-
	I'm glad someone had the guts to say this. :-)
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|
_No dark sarcasm in the classroom|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|___
|____Teachers leave the kids alone__|_____|_____|_____|_bryan@cs.utexas.edu___|
___|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|{vertebrae...}!cs.utexas.edu!bryan_|___
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

bryan@cs.utexas.edu (Bryan Bayerdorffer @ Wit's End) (02/02/89)

In article <2525@antique.UUCP> vax135!cjp (Charles Poirier) writes:
=-If you plan on adding a hard disk to your 2000, the fan noise
=-(objectionable though it is) may be a moot point.  The HD itself can
=-be twice as loud as the stock fan.  Mine is.  C'est la vie.
=-
	So was mine, until I dumped the Miniscribe  for a Quantum 80S.  Can you say
'inaudible'?
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (02/02/89)

>=->Another trick you can do that is easier and cheaper than
>=->replacing the entire fan is to put a Two Microfarad non-polar,
>=->200 volt at least capacitor in series with the existing fan.
>=-I think this technique would be more appropriate for an AC fan.
>	I'm glad someone had the guts to say this. :-)

Damn, you mean that this stupid 40 farad capacitor won't work?
I've been trying bigger and bigger capacitors, trying to get the
thing to work.  The 40 farad capacitor works for a little while,
but the fan slows down and stops after just a bit.  I was just about
to order a 400 farad capacitor---these mothers get *big*.

Oh well.  Back to a noisy fan.

-tom

In article <6569@polya.Stanford.EDU> rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) writes:
=->=->Another trick you can do that is easier and cheaper than
=->=->replacing the entire fan is to put a Two Microfarad non-polar,
=->=->200 volt at least capacitor in series with the existing fan.
=->=-I think this technique would be more appropriate for an AC fan.
=-
=->	I'm glad someone had the guts to say this. :-)
=-
=-Damn, you mean that this stupid 40 farad capacitor won't work?
=-I've been trying bigger and bigger capacitors, trying to get the
=-thing to work.  The 40 farad capacitor works for a little while,
=-but the fan slows down and stops after just a bit.  I was just about
=-to order a 400 farad capacitor---these mothers get *big*.
=-
=-Oh well.  Back to a noisy fan.
=-
=--tom

	For the nonplussed, Tom is talking about capacitors ranging in size
from a beer can to roughly half a keg (these are precise engineering terms, do
not attempt this at home).
	Tom, my advice is:  Invest in ear plugs and life insurance instead,
cause if AmigaTeX screws up my dissertation, I'm gonna wring your neck. :-) :-)
/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/_____/
|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|

451061%UOTTAWA.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (Valentin Pepelea) (02/04/89)

From: "Tomas G. Rokicki" <rokicki@polya.stanford.edu>
In article <6569@polya.Stanford.EDU> "Thomas G. rokicki"
<rokicki@polya.stanford.edu> writes:

> Damn, you mean that this stupid 40 farad capacitor won't work?
> I've been trying bigger and bigger capacitors, trying to get the
> thing to work.  The 40 farad capacitor works for a little while,
> but the fan slows down and stops after just a bit.  I was just about
> to order a 400 farad capacitor---these mothers get *big*.

> -tom

Whoa! You are supposed to use a 2 microfarad capacitor, not one that is
20 000 000 times bigger! And please, let it be a 200 Volt non-polar capacitor,
as stated in the original posting.

"An  operating  system  without         Name: Valentin Pepelea
 virtual memory is an operating         Phone: (613) 233-1821
 system without virtue."                Bitnet: 451061@uottawa
                                        Usenet: Look at the header
         - Ancient Inca Proverb         Planet: Ontario!Canada!Earth

raymund@sci.UUCP (Raymund Galvin) (02/06/89)

One way to quiet the DC fan in the Amiga 2000 is to reduce the voltage
supplied to the fan.  The fan in my 2000 is rated at 12 VDC (190mA).  When
operated at 9 VDC, it is noticeably quieter and appears to have no problem
keeping my 2000 cool.  I used a 38 ohm (1 watt) resistor in series with
the power line to the fan to reduce the voltage.   I don't recommend anyone
try this unless they know how to tell if their computer is running too
hot.  Because the fan will be spinning slower, the volume of air moved by
the fan is reduced.   Your computer could overheat.  If not right away, maybe
during the summer.

(the !@#$% fan is still too loud)

Ray Galvin

dvl@hpcupt1.HP.COM (Doug Larson) (02/08/89)

	FYI.   Some 2000's have 115V AC fans.  Mine did, it was an
	"ETRI", made in France (50/60 HZ, 10/8 watts).  Nonetheless,
	it also alternates between jet engine takeoff mode and garbage
	disposal mode.

	I replaced it and my 2000 is much quieter now. ( Coincidentally,
	I replaced it with a 115V AC fan, I thought that would work
	better than a 12V DC fan in my machine).  It was sort of a pain
	because the fan was attached with those crimped on connectors
	and I had to drill them out.  ( If you do this, be sure to
	cover everything and vacuum afterwords ... misplaced aluminium
	filings in a computer are such a pain.)

	Looking back on it, I suspect my fan of occasionally crashing
	my system by polluting the power supply.  I hate it when I'm
	on move 212 of Empire and my system crashes ...

	Doug Larson
	hplabs!hpda!dvl

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (02/09/89)

In article <7957@louie.udel.EDU>, 451061%UOTTAWA.BITNET@CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL.EDU (Valentin Pepelea) writes:

> From: "Tomas G. Rokicki" <rokicki@polya.stanford.edu>
> In article <6569@polya.Stanford.EDU> "Thomas G. rokicki"
> <rokicki@polya.stanford.edu> writes:
>
>> Damn, you mean that this stupid 40 farad capacitor won't work?
>> I've been trying bigger and bigger capacitors, trying to get the
>> thing to work.  The 40 farad capacitor works for a little while,
>> but the fan slows down and stops after just a bit.  I was just about
>> to order a 400 farad capacitor---these mothers get *big*.
>
>> -tom
>
> Whoa! You are supposed to use a 2 microfarad capacitor, not one that is
> 20 000 000 times bigger! And please, let it be a 200 Volt non-polar capacitor,
> as stated in the original posting.

> "An  operating  system  without         Name: Valentin Pepelea
>  virtual memory is an operating         Phone: (613) 233-1821
>  system without virtue."                Bitnet: 451061@uottawa
>                                         Usenet: Look at the header
>          - Ancient Inca Proverb         Planet: Ontario!Canada!Earth

Allright, ALLRIGHT, I'm sorry I ever brought it up.  The two
Microfarad capacitor works FINE on an AC Muffin fan.  I didn't
know the 2000 had a DC motor.  You could try a dropping resistor
of about half the impedance of the fan motor itself.  Probably
still cheaper than a new fan.