[comp.sys.amiga] Sticky keys on 1000 - What to do?

jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) (02/04/89)

While I'm sure that this was covered sometime in the past, I am
starting to have serious key sticking problems on my 1000 keyboard. It
is mostly the "e" key but others are starting too.  Any advice on how
to make them stop will be appreciated.

--
Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
Sytek Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) (02/09/89)

In article <177@syteke.UUCP>, jim@syteke.UUCP (Jim Sanchez) writes:
> While I'm sure that this was covered sometime in the past, I am
> starting to have serious key sticking problems on my 1000 keyboard. It
> is mostly the "e" key but others are starting too.  Any advice on how
> to make them stop will be appreciated.
>
> --
> Jim Sanchez  {sun,hplabs}!sun!sytek!syteke!jim OR
> Sytek Brussels  mcvax!prlb2!sunbim!syteke!jim

I too have suffered with this problem.  My solution USED to be to take the
keyboard apart, clean up dust wiith wet Q-tips (c) and blast Freon into the
sucker.  Click the keys a bit to work it in and reassemble.

My new, improved solution resulted from a visit to radio shack (c) (tm)
where I found some TV tuner cleaner (or something like that) that the r-s guy
recommended.  Pull part keyboard as above, spray, click, reassemble.  I have
to do this about 1.5 times a year but boy does that keyboard feel nice after.
Ask the salesperson for help, they are usually pretty sharp.

Pulling the keys off is easy, use a chip-extractor or a butter knife and pry
those suckers off!  SOme keys (space bar, Return) are not completely removable
so be careful.  I usually wash the keys in the sink too, but make they they
are completely dry before you put them back on ( I use a blow-dryer!).

Note I make no warranty regarding this procedure.  Be careful.  Do not blame
me if anything goes wrong (but it really is very simple!).

John Lindwall
johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM
lindwall@ucsd.sdsu.EDU