[comp.sys.amiga] Sequencers

afraser@ssibbs.UUCP (Alex Fraser) (02/03/89)

Will Music-X ever appear?

Assuming that it won't in the near future, could someone please point me
towards a sequencer package that has all the possibilities of Dr.T's,
with the potentials of setting up sequences that have real time control
that it looks Soundscape started on (but did not REALLY implement -- they
were just headed in that direction with triggered sequences)?

Perhaps I should look in the direction of HMSL (which I have heard has been
ported to the amiga)?

In general is there anything radically new in sequencers out for the
Amiga lately?

Alex
--
...{mit-eddie,pyramid,datacube}!mirror!ssi3b1!ssibbs!afraser

phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) (02/10/89)

In article <90@ssibbs.UUCP> afraser@ssibbs.UUCP (Alex Fraser) writes:
      <asks about real-time controllable MIDI sequencers>
>Perhaps I should look in the direction of HMSL (which I have heard has been
>ported to the amiga)?

You would do well to check out HMSL, if you don't mind putting in some
effort to learn it - it's a very powerful, and therefore complex, music
specification language (not just a sequencer by any means).  You should
know something about FORTH, since it is written in an object-oriented
flavor of JFORTH.

It was written on the Amiga *originally* and ported to the Mac.  Not to
pick nits, but much of its power comes from the programmer's (Phil Burk)
virtuosity on the Amiga.

Contact Frog Peak Music for details.  I don't have the address, but a call
to the Center for Contemporary Music at Mills College in Oakland, CA, should
net you the address.  Phone:  (415) 430-2191.

Disclaimer:  I'm an alumnus and former employee of Mills College, but my palms
won't get greased if you buy HMSL.  Check it out and decide for yourself.

		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov  OR  phil@eos.UUCP)

pmy@vivaldi.acc.virginia.edu (Pete Yadlowsky) (02/10/89)

In article <90@ssibbs.UUCP> afraser@ssibbs.UUCP (Alex Fraser) writes:
>Will Music-X ever appear?

[ stuff about quest for the Ideal Sequencer ]

>Perhaps I should look in the direction of HMSL (which I have heard has been
>ported to the amiga)?

Ported to? Practically developed for! Actually, HMSL (Hierarchical
Music Specification Language, by some guys at Mills College) slightly
predates the Amiga, and was initially developed on a home-brew 68000
box. Now, though, HMSL rides on an excellent Amiga forth called JForth
(authored in part by one of the authors of HMSL).

Yes, you really should look in the direction of HMSL. Nobody's canned
sequencer will ever have the flexibility this system provides,
because HMSL is an interactive, object-oriented, forth-based, >extensible<
*language*, not an application. HMSL certainly supports, but is not
limited to, MIDI. You can use it to drive any sort of hardware that
can be plugged into your computer. I've heard of one person using it to
drive kinetic sculpture.

Some of us here at UVa's music dept. use HMSL extensively, and will
be featuring it this spring in a piece for treated violin, keyboard
controller, computer and synthesizers.

Anyway, I can't recommend HMSL highly enough to those who want to
use their computers (Amiga, Mac) as something other than MIDI
tape decks.

Usual disclaimer: I'm not affiliated.

Peter M. Yadlowsky
Academic Computing Center
University of Virginia
pmy@Virginia.EDU

ins_adjb@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Daniel Jay Barrett) (02/10/89)

In article <90@ssibbs.UUCP> afraser@ssibbs.UUCP (Alex Fraser) writes:
>Perhaps I should look in the direction of HMSL (which I have heard has been
>ported to the amiga)?

	I believe that HMSL was *written* on the Amiga.  The authors
at Mills College are true Amiga-lovers, from what they told me at a
recent International Computer Music Conference.
--
Dan Barrett	ins_adjb@jhunix.UUCP			UUCP
		barrett@cs.jhu.edu	(128.220.13.4)	ARPA