[comp.sys.amiga] Postscript painting program????

kasper@iesd.uucp (Kasper Osterbye) (02/03/89)

Hi.

I was wondering if there one of all our beautifull and fantastic
printing programs that will produce postscript files - and I am
not interested in postscript encoded bitmaps.

-- Kasper.

--
Kasper Osterbye                     Internet: iesd!kasper@uunet.uu.net
Institute for electronic systems    UUCP: ...!mcvax!iesd!kasper

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/06/89)

In article <1283@iesd.uucp> kasper@iesd.dk (Kasper Osterbye) writes:
>Hi.
>
>I was wondering if there one of all our beautifull and fantastic
>printing programs that will produce postscript files - and I am
>not interested in postscript encoded bitmaps.

In a word, ``NO''.

Pro-Draw from Gold Disk is supposed to be an Adobe illustrator
clone, but is only in Beta yet, and apparantly text doesn't work.

iff2ps, is a program that will convert IFF files to PS, and does
a very good job. It's freeware.

Actually, your message is a little contradictary, as painting programs
usually only produce bitmaps. Drawing programs produce objects.

--
                      ``Kern letters with a hacksaw''
decwrl!gryphon!richard        killer!gryphon!richard       elroy!gryphon!richard

cosell@bbn.com (Bernie Cosell) (02/06/89)

In article <11662@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

}iff2ps, is a program that will convert IFF files to PS, and does
}a very good job. It's freeware.

It does a good job for what it does, BUT: what it does is gets you is a
*greyscaled* rendering of your IFF file.  Those of us with access to *color*
PostScript printers are out of luck -- there is no program I know of, PD or
not, that'll talk IFF->colorPostScript.

   __
  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
 /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (02/06/89)

In article <35637@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
->In article <11662@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
->
->}iff2ps, is a program that will convert IFF files to PS, and does
->}a very good job. It's freeware.
->
->It does a good job for what it does, BUT: what it does is gets you is a
->*greyscaled* rendering of your IFF file.  Those of us with access to *color*
->PostScript printers are out of luck -- there is no program I know of, PD or
->not, that'll talk IFF->colorPostScript.

Sometime in the near future, there will be a new version of iff2ps which will
allow you to output color separated or straight color PostScript files.  Since
a limitation of PostScript is that it can only handle up to eight bit planes
of color, by color separating you should be able to output 24-bit plane
images (if you can generated them somehow), or a maximum of 256 colors for
non-separated images.

->   __
->  /  )                              Bernie Cosell
-> /--<  _  __  __   o _              BBN Sys & Tech, Cambridge, MA 02238
->/___/_(<_/ (_/) )_(_(<_             cosell@bbn.com

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (02/06/89)

In article <35637@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>*greyscaled* rendering of your IFF file.  Those of us with access to *color*
>PostScript printers are out of luck -- there is no program I know of, PD or
>not, that'll talk IFF->colorPostScript.
Well, you are in luck, pending comp.sources.amiga flowing.
iff2ps color version has been done here by Leroy Fundingsland, and
the results are good on our QMS ColorScript. Coming soon to comp.sources.amiga
near you, i hope (it has been submitted).
ron

garvin@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Michael A. Garvin) (02/07/89)

In article <35637@bbn.COM> cosell@BBN.COM (Bernie Cosell) writes:
>In article <11662@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>
>}iff2ps, is a program that will convert IFF files to PS, and does
>}a very good job. It's freeware.
>
>It does a good job for what it does, BUT: what it does is gets you is a
>*greyscaled* rendering of your IFF file.  Those of us with access to *color*
>PostScript printers are out of luck -- there is no program I know of, PD or
>not, that'll talk IFF->colorPostScript.

     There is a program that will talk color PostScript.  It is Express
Paint (current V3.0) by PAR, Inc.  I don't know how well it will look (since
I don't have access to a color PostScript printer, but the output I have
done looks fairly well.
BTW: Professional Automation Resources, Inc.
     P.O. Box 1309
     Vancouver, Washington 98666
     (206) 694-1539

Mike Garvin     garvin@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu     NCSU Computing Center, Raleigh,NC
Disclaimer:  I have no ties to PAR, I'm just a satisfied customer.

scobb@bti.UUCP (Steve Cobb) (02/07/89)

In article <11662@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:
>In article <1283@iesd.uucp> kasper@iesd.dk (Kasper Osterbye) writes:
>>Hi.
>>
>>I was wondering if there one of all our beautifull and fantastic
>>printing programs that will produce postscript files - and I am
>>not interested in postscript encoded bitmaps.
>
>Pro-Draw from Gold Disk is supposed to be an Adobe illustrator
>clone, but is only in Beta yet, and apparantly text doesn't work.
>
>iff2ps, is a program that will convert IFF files to PS, and does
>a very good job. It's freeware.

	I believe that Express Paint v 3.0 supports postscript, however
	I am not sure to what extent.  If Stephen Vermeulen (the author) is
	still out there, he may wish to shed some light.

					Steve

	Biomagnetic Technologies, inc.
MAIL:   4174 Sorrento Valley Blvd. San Diego, CA 92121  ----------------------
PHONE:  (619) 453-6300 x349                             | Disclaim all words |
UUCP:   {ucsd, hplabs!hp-sdd}!ncr-sd!bti!scobb          |  Ye who read here  |
VOICE:  "HEY YOU!"                                      ----------------------

hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu (Hal G. Meeks) (02/07/89)

Express Paint offers integrated postscript support. While it is not pure
postscript (doing bitmap->PS conversions), it is quite good. Results are
better than IFF2PS, but cost should be taken into account. It also supports
color postscript, being the only Amiga program that I know of to do so.

Anthony Studios (LaserUP!) is advertising a drawing program called LaserUp!
Draw in the back of the latest AmigaWhirled. Is it _real_ postscript? Call
them and find out.
--hal

--
------------------                    "I am living in a condo
hgm@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu                    with Henry Thoreau"

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/08/89)

In article <2553@ncsuvx.ncsu.edu> hgm@ncsuvx.UUCP (Hal G. Meeks) writes:

>Express Paint offers integrated postscript support. While it is not pure
>postscript (doing bitmap->PS conversions), it is quite good. Results are
>better than IFF2PS, but cost should be taken into account. It also supports
>color postscript, being the only Amiga program that I know of to do so.
>
>Anthony Studios (LaserUP!) is advertising a drawing program called LaserUp!
>Draw in the back of the latest AmigaWhirled. Is it _real_ postscript? Call
>them and find out.

Yeah, well I hope his PS drawing program works a LOT better than his fonts.
He sells a package for $35 that has 3 postscript fonts. Deal of the
century, right ? Wrong. They don't work.

You print them at 18 pt and there is a gap in the ``O''.  So you
print them at 24 pt and now the gap in the ``O'' is gone, but ther
is a gap in the upper loop of the ``B''.

Totally unusable.  And of course how many B. Daltons have an Amiga,
Postscript printer and software that lets you use them ? Arrg.

But I guess this is why his fonts are $35 for 3, and the REAL Adobe
fonts are $100 a typeface. And up.

--

timg@ziebmef.uucp (Tim Grantham) (02/12/89)

In article <11662@gryphon.COM> richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) writes:

>Pro-Draw from Gold Disk is supposed to be an Adobe illustrator
>clone, but is only in Beta yet, and apparantly text doesn't work.

No, it's released now. It's not entirely without flaws but text does work.

Tim.
--

timg@ziebmef.UUCP		{uunet!mnetor!lsuc,utgpu}!ncrcan!ziebmef!timg