[comp.sys.amiga] End of Amigan A&J :

rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) (02/08/89)

I received my A&J yesterday to find some bad news.
Dues to the unexpected and serious (slim hope for improvement) illness of
the editor, A&J ceases publication with Vol III, No. 6.  The issue said
that anyone with unexpired subscriptions will get a full refund for the
issues they haven't received within 30-45 days.

This is too bad.  I loved their irreverence and wit, and their willingness
to criticize things that deserve to be criticized.  I'll also miss
John Toebes's and Bill Hawes's columns.  Hopefully they get picked up by
another mag [which I would then most certainly subscribe to].

The whole thing is just too damn bad.  :-(

ARPA:    rlcarr@athena.mit.edu
UUCP:    {wherever}!mit-eddie!mit-athena!rlcarr
BITNET:  rlcarr%athena.mit.edu@MITVMA.mit.edu

* Rich Carreiro                 "Back off man, I'm a scientist."              *
* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                - Dr. Peter Venkman                    *
>issues they haven't received within 30-45 days.
>
>This is too bad.  I loved their irreverence and wit, and their willingness
>to criticize things that deserve to be criticized.  I'll also miss
>John Toebes's and Bill Hawes's columns.  Hopefully they get picked up by
>another mag [which I would then most certainly subscribe to].
>
>The whole thing is just too damn bad.  :-(

>* Rich Carreiro                 "Back off man, I'm a scientist."              *
>* rlcarr@athena.mit.edu                - Dr. Peter Venkman                    *

Rich,

You are SO right that it is a serious loss to the Amiga community.  I do hope
that the columns by John Toebes and Bill Hawes will be continued in some
other magazine.  However, the possibility of some other magazine carrying
on with the other parts of THE AMIGAN A&J is exceedingly slim.  Editor
Dick Barnes IS the AMIGAN.  He has done most of the research, the writing,
the planning, and everything else.  The personality of the publication is
his alone.  His style is inimitable.  Believe me - if I were capable of
carrying on such a thing, I'd jump at it.  So would many others.

Dick Barnes is now allowed only two hours a day to work.  Those two hours
are spent at his Amiga, and I'm hoping that we might hear from him through
some other publication - though he has certainly not mentioned such a
possibility.  He has arranged for help in making back issues available, and
also for getting copies of his disks of PD software to those who wish to
order them.  There was no possibility of anyone carrying on the kind of
publication he has provided, so he is simply closing it down.

We have lost a VERY GOOD THING!

Betty Clay
......killer!pollux!bjc
CIS:76702,337

rap@ardent.UUCP (Rob Peck) (02/09/89)

In article <9145@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU>, rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) writes:
> I received my A&J yesterday to find some bad news.
> Dues to the unexpected and serious (slim hope for improvement) illness of
> the editor, A&J ceases publication with Vol III, No. 6.  The issue said

> This is too bad.  I loved their irreverence and wit, and their willingness
> to criticize things that deserve to be criticized.  I'll also miss
> John Toebes's and Bill Hawes's columns.  Hopefully they get picked up by
> another mag [which I would then most certainly subscribe to].

I join with Rich.  For a coupla years I had been meaning to subscribe,
having seen one or two issues here and there, realizing that the content
was of great quality and a mixed bag for new users and for more advanced
folks as well.   I finally subscribed, requesting (and getting) ALL of
their back issues in one shot, with the very last issue carrying this
news.  Instead of 16 hour workdays, the editor is now restricted by
his doctor to 2 hours and I just happened to catch him during this
period by phone one day.  He has done a MAJOR service to the Amiga
Community and we will certainly miss his support.  The editor of
the Amigan Apprentice and Journeyman is Dick Barnes, and he can be
reached at

     Amigan Apprentice and Journeyman
     P.O.Box 411,
     Hatteras, NC 27943.

As I understand it, though the journal itself has ceased publication,
he has hired an assistant who can service requests for back issues
of the magazine.  The final issue, though it states "AA&J 'was'
published six times a year" and so on in the details section in
the back, the final paragraph DOES still offer back issues, each
of which is apparently $4.00 (unlike other magazines, back issues
did not have price increases attached to them).  During its entire
run, the AA&J did not accept any advertising, so it remained free
to give an unbiased opinion about anything, and often gave a rousing
thumbs-down on things where deserved.

Those who have never seen the magazine before might be interested
in the final issue (vol 3, no. 6) which contains a really thorough
exmination of the Amiga Shell on 1.3 as compared to the current Conman, and
add-on shells such as WShell, as well as a speed comparison for
Resident commands vs other ways of loading programs.  There's
lots more in the issue, these are just a tiny taste.

I have no connection with the AA&J, other than a great admiration
for what Dick has accomplished there.  I just felt that if there is
a reasonable stock of back issues still available, some of the
Usenet'ers who have never heard of this magazine might want to see
what they'd been missing.  It is well worth the investment... the
final issue alone has proved to contain some very valuable information
(at least to me) and there are many many jewels scattered in the others as
well.  I guess that there might have been some advantage to reading
everything at once, but with it came the problem that this was the last.

Even though the last issue said "slim hope for improvement", I STILL
wish Dick Barnes a speedy recovery.  The illness (and I hope he doesn't
mind my mentioning it) was a stroke.   I wish Dick the very best.

Rob Peck

walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) (02/11/89)

In article <9145@bloom-beacon.MIT.EDU> rlcarr@athena.mit.edu (Rich Carreiro) writes:
>...I'll also miss
>John Toebes's and Bill Hawes's columns.  Hopefully they get picked up by
>another mag [which I would then most certainly subscribe to].

An update: apparently Dick Barnes (the editor of the A&J) is doing better,
but is under doctor's orders to 'cut down', which means giving up the A&J.
He is working on learning C, with John Toebes as a tutor.

John is planning on writing a series of articles for Transactor for the
Amiga, which has finally started putting out issues again.  Every Transactor
issue I have received has been outstanding when it finally arrived, and with
their new, sounder financial and managerial backing, I would recommend them.

One thing to keep in mind, though:  you mentioned liking the hard-hitting
reviews.  Any magazine that takes advertising has to think twice about
publishing hard-hitting reviews of major products.  Since Transactor does
take advertising. . .

sneakers@heimat.UUCP (Dan "Sneakers" Schein) (02/12/89)

In Message <809@sas.UUCP>, walker@sas.UUCP (Doug Walker) writes:

>One thing to keep in mind, though:  you mentioned liking the hard-hitting
>reviews.  Any magazine that takes advertising has to think twice about
>publishing hard-hitting reviews of major products.  Since Transactor does
>take advertising. . .

 How true!  Thats one area of the new (we now have $$$) Ami Transactor that
 I dislike greatly.  The old (gee are we in debt) magazine almost never had
 a review, it was solid information.  Lets just hope that these recent reviews
 were/are to fill the xtra space since going to a monthly schedule and that
 once enough articles begin to arrive, the reviews will just go away *poof*.

 Sneakers

--
Dan "Sneakers" Schein          {pyramid|rutgers|uunet}!cbmvax!heimat!sneakers
Sneakers Computing

   Call: BERKS AMIGA BBS - 60+ Megs - 24 Hrs - 12/2400 Baud - 215/678-7691