[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga TUTOR was on release 1.1 Extras Disk

dale@ssbell.UUCP (Dale Miller) (02/09/89)

In article <1223@dukeac.UUCP> rsb@dukeac.UUCP (R. Scott Bartlett) writes:
>Many Mac enthusiests (sp?) tout that their machine is easier to use than the
>Amiga.  This is true to some extent.  Macs come with a great piece of software
>called (if i remember correctly) "Introduction to the Macintosh."  The Amiga
>however lacks a comparable piece of software.  When you buy an Amiga, you are
>on your own.  C/A needs to write a "Intro to the Amiga:  A friend you can trust"
>program, and include it with ALL new machines and software upgrades.  The
>manual can help the user with the hardware setup, and then direct the user to
>insert the Into disk and power up the machine.  From then on, the user is
>introduced to the Amiga, starting with the mouse.

The Extras disk that came with release 1.1 for the Amiga included a very
nice tutor on the Intro to the Amiga.  That in fact starts with the
mouse or item that you selected to look at.  It did a nice job of
showing off the graphics capabilities as well.  I am not sure why it was
dropped with release 1.2 and 1.3 but it is what Mr. Bartlett is
looking for.  Suggest you find a friend with release 1.1 and have a look
at it.  It might even be something to show at a club meeting since most
owners of a 500 or 2000 would have never seen it since it was only on
the 1.1 release.

--
Dale Miller                  UUCP:     dale@ssbell
Sterling Software FSG/IMD    INTERNET: dale%ssbell.uucp@uunet.uu.net

rminnich@super.ORG (Ronald G Minnich) (02/11/89)

In article <370@ssbell.UUCP> dale@ssbell.UUCP (0000-Dale Miller) writes:
>The Extras disk that came with release 1.1 for the Amiga included a very
>nice tutor on the Intro to the Amiga.  That in fact starts with the
>mouse or item that you selected to look at.  It did a nice job of
People keep saying nice things about this program, and i don't know why.
It stunk as a tutor. Tutors shouldn't take 5 minutes to start up.
They shouldn't take most of your machine to run. They should be
summonable at any time, be small and fast, and help you out.
  As a demo vehicle for venture capital or manager types i am
sure it was wonderful. It was absolutely worthless as a tutor
or aid. I hated it and my non-amiga-literate father hated it; it
didn't help him at all.
  Good riddance, i say. There's still too much of this semi-professional
stuff on the disks that just make the Amiga look silly.
ron

rsb@dukeac.UUCP (R. Scott Bartlett) (02/13/89)

In article <5806@super.ORG> rminnich@brainiac.UUCP (Ronald G Minnich) writes:
>In article <370@ssbell.UUCP> dale@ssbell.UUCP (0000-Dale Miller) writes:
>>The Extras disk that came with release 1.1 for the Amiga included a very
>>nice tutor on the Intro to the Amiga.  That in fact starts with the
>>mouse or item that you selected to look at.  It did a nice job of
>People keep saying nice things about this program, and i don't know why.
>It stunk as a tutor. Tutors shouldn't take 5 minutes to start up.
>They shouldn't take most of your machine to run. They should be
>summonable at any time, be small and fast, and help you out.
	-->This would be nice too, but as a seperate program.
>  As a demo vehicle for venture capital or manager types i am
>sure it was wonderful. It was absolutely worthless as a tutor
>or aid. I hated it and my non-amiga-literate father hated it; it
>didn't help him at all.
>  Good riddance, i say. There's still too much of this semi-professional
>stuff on the disks that just make the Amiga look silly.
>ron

The above reasons are EXACTCLY why i did not even mention the amiga-tutor.  It
was not a tutor at all.  Think about how the Intro to Mac software works, you
insert the disk, and presto! it's there up and running just waiting to teach
you about the Mac.  The amiga tutor required prior knowlege about how to use a
mouse.
	I am talking about a program which is the first disk inserted into the
machine by a neophyte (sp?).  The program would boot itself up, and show the
new user how to use the Amiga from start to finish (including how to point and
click with the mouse!)  The program should use snazzy graphics AND sound to
teach the neophyte user the basic elements of how to use the amiga.  From there
it should progress to teach about the CLI and maybe EMACS (it is included after
all).  This program could include a special section on new features, that can be
executed seperately, for those that just want to find out how to use the new
goodies included with the operating system.  The whole point of this program is
to eliminate some of the documentation (if not all of it).  The only
documentation needed in paper form would be instuctions on how to assemble the
machine, how to insert the tutorial disk, and how to turn on the machine.  Neat
huh?

The question is "Why isn't this here already?" or "Why don't we do it
ourselves?"

						rsb

--
rsb@dukeac.ac.duke.edu		///	"Amigas do it with hardware."-- Me
rutgers!mcnc!ecsvax!dukeac!rsb ///     "Sycamore is open."-- Negativ Land