[comp.sys.amiga] GVP and A2620 - The GURU Bites

macdonald@mtwain.dec.com (Paul MacDonald - CUP/ML - 223-3439) (02/11/89)

Well, I installed the A2620 board yesterday and am wholly delighted at the
increased performance of certain programs like Professional Page, Orbits,
and others. Unfortunately, the incompatibility problem between the 2620 and
the GVP Hardcard is very much in evidence. With the GVP in the rightmost
slot, and a Micron memory board to its left, holding the two mouse buttons
down at boot time (to display the 68000/68020/Unix Menu) causes a Guru. Of
course, not touching the mouse buttons results in a normal 68020 boot-up.
Taking the advice of GVP, I moved the Hardcard to the left of the Micron
board. This cured the problem, and the menu displays properly when booting
with both mouse buttons down. But, the gotcha is that if the rightmost slot
is not used for the GVP, then it takes up three slots, one for the card and
two more for the drive overhang. Not a good situation. Now with the
Hardcard and Micron board installed, I have only one available extra slot
instead of three extra slots (grrrrr).

So, GVP and CBM .. listening guys? When can I expect new roms to fix this
problem? Next week perhaps? I am assuming the error is a problem both in
the CBM roms and the GVP roms.

Regards,

Paul MacDonald

ditto@cbmvax.UUCP (Michael "Ford" Ditto) (02/14/89)

In article <8902102001.AA20366@decwrl.dec.com> macdonald@mtwain.dec.com (Paul MacDonald - CUP/ML - 223-3439) writes:
> With the GVP in the rightmost
>slot, and a Micron memory board to its left, holding the two mouse buttons
>down at boot time (to display the 68000/68020/Unix Menu) causes a Guru.

I have just been told that this is a 2620 ROM bug which has been fixed
(as of yesterday) and a method of distribution is being discussed.

>So, GVP and CBM .. listening guys? When can I expect new roms to fix this
>problem? Next week perhaps? I am assuming the error is a problem both in
>the CBM roms and the GVP roms.

It is entirely in the 2620 ROMs; it's not due to the GVP board or firmware.
I'll post more info when it is determined how the fix will be distributed.
--
					-=] Ford [=-

"The number of Unix installations	(In Real Life:  Mike Ditto)
has grown to 10, with more expected."	ford@kenobi.cts.com
- The Unix Programmer's Manual,		...!sdcsvax!crash!elgar!ford
  2nd Edition, June, 1972.		ditto@cbmvax.commodore.com