[comp.sys.amiga] Amiga & Mathematica

wbralick@afit-ab.arpa (William A. Bralick) (01/31/89)

Is a version of Mathematica currently produced or being planned
for the Amiga?  I think that the Amiga would be an exceptional
platform for Mathematica, and (I think) it would be a fairly
direct port.

Regards,
--
Will Bralick : wbralick@afit-ab.arpa  |  If we desire to defeat the enemy,
Air Force Institute of Technology,    |  we must proportion our efforts to
                                      |  his powers of resistance.
with disclaimer;  use disclaimer;     |               - Carl von Clauswitz

w-colinp@microsoft.UUCP (Colin Plumb) (02/01/89)

I'm not sure if you're aware, but there is another symbolic math package,
Maple, already running on the Amiga.  While it's missing all the great
graphics, it's a more mature system, and runs in less memory.

It is also written at the University I attend, but that has absolutely
nothing to do with it...
--
	-Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)
"Don't listen to me.  I never do."

murphy@pur-phy (William J. Murphy) (02/01/89)

In article <876@afit-ab.arpa> wbralick@blackbird.afit.af.mil (William A. Bralick) writes:
>Is a version of Mathematica currently produced or being planned
                 ^^^^^^^^^^^
>for the Amiga?  I think that the Amiga would be an exceptional
>Will Bralick : wbralick@afit-ab.arpa  |  If we desire to defeat the enemy,

Last fall, Mathematica came to purdue to show their wares right after the
NeXT demonstration.  When asked that very question, "Will Mathematica be
available on the Amiga?" The answer was YES.

The Kernal for M is the same for all machines (If I remember correctly),
but the graphical/user interface is what will take the time to port.
I would expect that M will not run too well without adding another couple
of Meg to the Amy 2000 as well as a harddrive. In fact, I would think that
the A2500 will be a pretty good base for Mathematica.

Oh, The person who presented to Purdue, was Nancy Blachman (Blackman?),
I don't have her e-mail address in front of me, but will find it later
so you can post your questions directly to her.

Bill Murphy
murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu

sam20285@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (02/02/89)

The news from sources inside Wolfram Research Inc. claim that an Amiga port
of Mathematica is planned.  Whether the port is being done currently or
slated for the future is unknown to me.  Anyone else know?

Steve March
uiucmath.math.uiuc.edu

farhi@athena.mit.edu (Bill Hoston) (02/03/89)

Stephen Wolfram made a few visits to the Boston area late last year
and I got the opportunity to speak with him.  He said that there is
work being done on an Amiga port of Mathematica (he said it wasn't too hard
since the kernel was the same on all systems).  He complimented the
computer and said that it was a nice platform for the program.  At the
time he said that he hoped to have the program running on a very basic
system (he even mentioned the possibility of a rom card for A500's).
He gave me the impression (it was more than an impression) that the
biggest stumbling block for the project was Commodore.  Anyway,  I
just wanted to say that I don't think the program will call for lots
of extra memory or a hard drive (take my word for what it is worth).

	Bill Hoston
	farhi@athena.mit.edu

iphwk%MTSUNIX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (02/03/89)

[Bill Murphy <murphy@newton.physics.purdue.edu> said:
:
: Last fall, Mathematica came to purdue to show their wares right after the
: NeXT demonstration.  When asked that very question, "Will Mathematica be
: available on the Amiga?" The answer was YES.
:
: Oh, The person who presented to Purdue, was Nancy Blachman (Blackman?),
: I don't have her e-mail address in front of me, but will find it later

This must be she:

Blachman, Nancy (NRB)           nb@WRI.COM
   Wolfram Research, Inc.
   P.O. Box 6059
   Champaign, IL 61821
   (217) 398-0700

bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) (02/03/89)

farhi@athena.mit.edu (Bill Hoston) writes:
> biggest stumbling block for the project was Commodore.  Anyway,  I
> just wanted to say that I don't think the program will call for lots
> of extra memory or a hard drive (take my word for what it is worth).

From what I've heard of people's experience with mathematica on
mac-ii's, 2 megabytes was a lower limit, and you could start doing
real work with 4...  [don't trust me either]

-Miles

In article <MXuEKhy00Uka02p11I@andrew.cmu.edu> bader+@andrew.cmu.edu (Miles Bader) writes:
>farhi@athena.mit.edu (Bill Hoston) writes:
>> biggest stumbling block for the project was Commodore.  Anyway,  I
>> just wanted to say that I don't think the program will call for lots
>> of extra memory or a hard drive (take my word for what it is worth).
>
>From what I've heard of people's experience with mathematica on
>mac-ii's, 2 megabytes was a lower limit, and you could start doing
>real work with 4...  [don't trust me either]
>
>-Miles

The main reason for the large memory requirements with the Mac version
is the way memory is handled by the system.  According to Wolfram
it is the horrible.... Supposedly a version of Mathematica was released
in December for I*M 386 machines that could run in < 700K.  I got the
impression that an Amiga version would fall between the two somehow.
Once again, I know nothing and represent no one.
	Bill Hoston
	farhi@athena.mit.edu

shd609@uxf.cso.uiuc.edu (02/04/89)

Nancy Blachman's email address is nb@wri.com.  I encourage
every person who wants Mathematica ported to the Amiga
to send her e-mail.

	simon@wri.com

iphwk%MTSUNIX1.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Bill Kinnersley) (02/07/89)

[In "Re: Amiga & Mathematica", Colin Plumb said:]
:
: I'm not sure if you're aware, but there is another symbolic math package,
: Maple, already running on the Amiga.  While it's missing all the great
: graphics [of Mathematica], it's a more mature system, and runs in less memory.
:
:     -Colin (uunet!microsoft!w-colinp)
: "Don't listen to me.  I never do."
:
My impression is that both Maple and Mathematica not only require a lot
of memory, but also a lot of *money*.  Does anyone know how much?

--
--Bill Kinnersley
  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (02/07/89)

->:
->My impression is that both Maple and Mathematica not only require a lot
->of memory, but also a lot of *money*.  Does anyone know how much?

Maple requires 1Meg of RAM and 10Megs of hard disk space.  The version for
the Amiga costs $395.

->--Bill Kinnersley
->  Physics Department   Montana State University    Bozeman, MT 59717
->  INTERNET: iphwk@terra.oscs.montana.edu      BITNET: IPHWK@MTSUNIX1

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) (02/09/89)

[ ... ]

Since I am quite interested in seeing an application like Mathematica ported
to the Amiga (and feel that the machine would make an excellent platform,
especially with an 020/881, etc), I dashed off a note to Nancy Blachman a few
days ago, WRT the Amiga port supposedly "in progress".

Her reply was:

> Kim,
>
> We do not currently have Mathematica available for the Amiga.
> One reason why we are not sure that we will do the port is that
> without virtual memory, Mathematica requires approximately 3 meg
> of memory and not many Amiga users have this much.
>

> Nancy

Soooooo ... it does not appear that Mathematica is actually "on the way",
as other postings have suggested, but it does sound like it hasn't been
ruled out.

Perhaps CBM could show some Marketing/Sales initiative, and discuss this
with them ... and maybe even (gasp) share some of their market research,
sales projections, etc. for 3+ Meg Amiga's.

This could be a "Golden Opportunity" to get a foot in the door with the
scientific/engineering/mathmatics community, who typically care a helluva
lot more about getting the job done, than they do PClone compatibility
(like the business types do).

Could maybe somebody at CBM (CATS, DOGS, etc) pass this info along to the
right people in Marketing/Etc.  And I suppose it couldn't hurt for individual
users to contact Nancy, with words of support/encouragement for the project.

She can be reached at "nb@wri.com", or "uunet!wri!bluto!nb".

/kim

--
UUCP:  kim@amdahl.amdahl.com
  or:  {sun,decwrl,hplabs,pyramid,uunet,oliveb,ames}!amdahl!kim

jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) (02/10/89)

In article <00VO0520TZ1010ep0M.@amdahl.uts.amdahl.com>, kim@uts.amdahl.com (Kim DeVaughn) writes:

> especially with an 020/881, etc), I dashed off a note to Nancy Blachman a few
> days ago, WRT the Amiga port supposedly "in progress".
>
> Her reply was:
>

> > Kim,

> > without virtual memory, Mathematica requires approximately 3 meg
> > of memory and not many Amiga users have this much.

What!?!?!? How much memory does it take to run in a Mac. The book I
have seen on Mathematica indicates that it runs on Macintoshes, not
only Mac II's. I can't believe there are that many more folks out
there who have 3 MB on good ole Mac I's.

Anyway, Even if it is 3 Megs on a Mac, I am curious if they have investigated
the operating system on the amiga. Seems like they could save some memory
by writing an intelligent port.

While this memory savings may not be much, I expect there are many more
2.5 MB amiga owners than there are owners with more than 2.5 MB. And
(I hope) the intelligence of the Amiga OS wrt Mac OS should make it possible
to realize this 0.5 MB savings.

Finally, the comment about Virtual Memory, well, wouldn't overlays be
possible here? While some of the beauty of Mathematica is that you can
do "piping" (actually stuff like graph(Fourier(dataset))) there ought
to be some commands that are mutually exclusive.

I would like to hear comments on this before I send Nancy my questions.

			Mike Davis ..!att!ihlpm!jmdavis

char*p="char*p=%c%s%c;main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}";main(){printf(p,34,p,34);}

Curiously enough, no one seems to have pointed out that you can't buy
an Amiga 2500 with *less* than three megabytes. I say why not "target"
it at the A2500 buyer, someone ready to invest $4.5K into an Amiga won't
worry about 300 - 400 for a whizzy mathematics analysis program.

What about Macsyma? Anyone talk to Symbolics yet? They seem to have a
fairly decent package these days (orders of magnitude better than the
stuff at MIT-XX 7 or 8 years ago.)

Of course if you are someone who "wouldn't dream" of paying $300 for a
piece of software then, well, you might have a tough time imagining what
you could do with Mathematica.

--Chuck McManis

healy@nrl-cmf.UUCP (Liam Healy) (02/12/89)

In article <3026@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:

>> Her reply was:
>> > Kim,

>> > without virtual memory, Mathematica requires approximately 3 meg
>> > of memory and not many Amiga users have this much.

>What!?!?!? How much memory does it take to run in a Mac. The book I
>have seen on Mathematica indicates that it runs on Macintoshes, not
>only Mac II's. I can't believe there are that many more folks out
>there who have 3 MB on good ole Mac I's.
>
>Anyway, Even if it is 3 Megs on a Mac, I am curious if they have investigated
>the operating system on the amiga. Seems like they could save some memory
>by writing an intelligent port.

I have used Mathematica extensively on a Mac II.  Technically it
will run in 2 MB, but is effectively useless.  I would say the practical
minimum is 4 MB.  8 MB is nice.  I don't know what this implies for
the Amiga, but even if it requires less than on the Mac, it will still
require a lot (compared to the standard configuration).  On the other
hand, a few megabytes is no longer outlandish or even uncommon.

>Finally, the comment about Virtual Memory, well, wouldn't overlays be
>possible here? While some of the beauty of Mathematica is that you can

The possibility occured to me too.  I don't see why not.
I would like to see Mathematica in a multi-tasking environment like
the Amiga.  Maybe with an AREXX port?

>			Mike Davis ..!att!ihlpm!jmdavis

Liam Healy
Naval Research Laboratory
healy@cmsun.nrl.navy.mil

duncan@csd4.milw.wisc.edu (Shan D Duncan) (02/12/89)

In article <170@nrl-cmf.UUCP> healy@cmsun.nrl.navy.mil (Liam Healy) writes:
>In article <3026@ihlpm.ATT.COM> jmdavis@ihlpm.ATT.COM (Davis) writes:
>>>
>>> Her reply was:

>>What!?!?!? How much memory does it take to run in a Mac. The book I
>>have seen on Mathematica indicates that it runs on Macintoshes, not
>>only Mac II's. I can't believe there are that many more folks out
>>there who have 3 MB on good ole Mac I's.

This from Info World under the title:

Wolfram Research ships Mathematica for 80386 Dos pc's.

Program includes all the features in the Mac and upcoming Unix versions,
except Notebook interface for interactive courseware (in Mac and NeXt).

32-bit program requires 1 megabyte of extended memory and takes advantage of
virtual memory for calculations that require more than 1 mg, using the Par
Lap's 386/VMM DOS extender.  CGA,EGA,MCGA,VGA, Hercules, and IBM 8514 also
supported.

Basic program cost $695
version with 287 or 387 coprocessors cost $995
version with Weitek 1167 or 3167 numeric coprocessors $1295

Just reporting what I read:
Standard disclaimers apply and trademark stuff for Unix,  Mathematica
Mac, NeXt, IBM, Par Lab, etc. etc. etc.

UH2@PSUVM.BITNET (Lee Sailer) (02/14/89)

In article <170@nrl-cmf.UUCP>, healy@nrl-cmf.UUCP (Liam Healy) says:

>I would like to see Mathematica in a multi-tasking environment like
>the Amiga.  Maybe with an AREXX port?

I read somewhere that Mathematica is carefully modulrized into a user
interface and the actual kernel that does all the work.  It should
be easy to create a user interface that REXX could talk to.  It may
be able to talk to the kernel, directly.