[comp.sys.amiga] Maple on amiga

ofer@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Ofer Licht) (02/04/89)

Somebody mentioned something about a program called Maple
that is supposed to be available for the amiga.
I was not able to reply to that person through e-mail
and am hoping that somebody knows what i'm talking about.
Is maple a commercial product or PD?

-Ofer Licht
ofer@gandalf.berkeley.edu

MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) (02/13/89)

Maple was originaly a program written for mainframe computers.  I know it
exists for VM/CMS, UNIX, and maybe VMS operating systems.

Maple is a math program that provides a wide range of statistical analysis and
calculus functions, with a flexibility of choosing between speed and accuracy.

It is  also a Symbolic math program, meaning it could enter stuff like

    lim        sin(x)           and it could parse this.
    x -> 0     ------

Maple 4.0 was completed for the Amgia and Macintosh, however the developers
decided not to release it until they had caught up with the mainframe version
of Maple, which was ver 4.2.  They also wanted to add a better graphic
interface, which was at the time limited to ANSI and VT220.  One of the
programers was working on it was Rico Marani (spelling???) at the University
of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  I went to school there, and I asked him
once a month when they would release it, but he would just say 'next month'.

Eight months passed, and I never heard about it again.  He did say at one time
that it would cost around $400 to $600.

Does anyone else know what became of Maple for the Amiga?

Thanks in Advance

|============================================================================|
| (patient)  Go ahead doc, tell me the worst.                                |
| (doctor)   I'm sorry, but you have MS-DOS...                               |
| (patient)  MS-DOS??   ...Maybe I caught it from a toilet seat or something.|
| Dennis Gorrie (molnarrm at uregina1.bitnet)                                |
|============================================================================|

grwalter@watmath.waterloo.edu (Fred Walter) (02/14/89)

To find out about Maple, send email to

	maple@watmum.UUCP

paolucci@snll-arpagw.UUCP (Sam Paolucci) (02/15/89)

In article <8902131737.AA11042@jade.berkeley.edu> MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) writes:
->
->Maple was originaly a program written for mainframe computers.  I know it
->exists for VM/CMS, UNIX, and maybe VMS operating systems.
->
->Maple is a math program that provides a wide range of statistical analysis and
->calculus functions, with a flexibility of choosing between speed and accuracy.
->
->It is  also a Symbolic math program, meaning it could enter stuff like
->
->    lim        sin(x)           and it could parse this.
->    x -> 0     ------
->                 x
->
->Maple 4.0 was completed for the Amgia and Macintosh, however the developers
->decided not to release it until they had caught up with the mainframe version
->of Maple, which was ver 4.2.  They also wanted to add a better graphic
->interface, which was at the time limited to ANSI and VT220.  One of the
->programers was working on it was Rico Marani (spelling???) at the University
->of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  I went to school there, and I asked him
->once a month when they would release it, but he would just say 'next month'.
->
->Eight months passed, and I never heard about it again.  He did say at one time
->that it would cost around $400 to $600.
->
->Does anyone else know what became of Maple for the Amiga?
->
->Thanks in Advance

Maple 4.2 has been available for the Amiga for quite a while, I have been
using for over four months. It costs $395 and it can be obtained from

	Waterloo Maple Software
	608 Weber Street North
	Waterloo ON
	Canada N2V 1K4
	(519)747-2373

Disclaimer: I have no connection with the the above company.

--
					-+= SAM =+-
"the best things in life are free"

				ARPA: paolucci@snll-arpagw.llnl.gov

ricom@microsoft.UUCP (Rico Mariani) (02/15/89)

>MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) writes:
>

>Maple was originaly a program written for mainframe computers.  I know it
>exists for VM/CMS, UNIX, and maybe VMS operating systems.

All true.

>Maple is a math program that provides a wide range of statistical analysis and
>calculus functions, with a flexibility of choosing between speed and accuracy.
>
>It is  also a Symbolic math program, meaning it could enter stuff like
>
>    lim        sin(x)           and it could parse this.
>    x -> 0     ------

what you type looks like:

	lim(sin(x)/x, x=0);

but yes..., what you see for output looks more like the 2d version Dennis
showed above.

>Maple 4.0 was completed for the Amgia and Macintosh, however the developers
>decided not to release it until they had caught up with the mainframe version
>of Maple, which was ver 4.2.

The big problem was getting documentation and contracts actually...
Maple 4.1 had many improvements which everyone wanted so it seemed wise
to wait.  By the time I could do the port, 4.2 was frozen so I did that
instead...

>They also wanted to add a better graphic
>interface, which was at the time limited to ANSI and VT220.  One of the
>programers was working on it was Rico Marani (spelling???) at the University
>of Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  I went to school there, and I asked him
>once a month when they would release it, but he would just say 'next month'.

You Spelling is close, it's Rico Mariani, but what's a few i's between
friends anyways.

>Does anyone else know what became of Maple for the Amiga?
>
>Thanks in Advance

Amiga Maple 4.2 started shipping many months ago, if you're interested
contact the Symbolic Computation Group at U of Waterloo and they'll
put you in touch with the right people.  There are quite a few copies
of it out there by now I imagine.  Talk to them about pricing info too,
there are various prices for educational, or professional use.

	-Rico

DISCLAIMER:  Microsoft is in no way affiliated with Maple or the Symbolic
	     Computation Group.  They just happen to hire Waterloo grads.