[comp.sys.amiga] Yow! Is this SUPPOSED to be here!?

smith@aic.nrl.navy.mil (Russ Smith) (02/14/89)

[this note sent to the generic Internet address "amiga-relay"]

I just FTPed over to xanth and grabbed the AmigaUUCP files (two arc
files containing individually two WARP files. Contained in file 2
was a readme and an executable, warp, as well).

Well, I just did a "strings" command (UNIX machine) of the warp executable and
saw:

		.
		.
		.

	\ORm
	T@2-
	TON]NuSCA!SCA!
	Virus by Byte
	LSD!LSD!
	Byte Bandit
	                              %sWARP v1.2A:
	%s                   A floppy disk %stracker%s and %scompressor%s.%s
	                  ---------------------------------------%s
	READ
	Bad arguments for READ.
		.
		.
		.

Pardon, but I know little about Warp. Does it contain the above "SCA!..."
stuff on purpose (like for pattern matching)? I noticed that later on
it has a string that says something like "Sorry Bud, but this disk is
infected..." or something.

Anywho, I won't be dewarping those files til I get a good answer...

Thanks for any response.

		     ...uunet!mimsy!nrl-aic!hengeema!smith
		   /			    ^^^^^^^^
Russ Smith - a.k.a. 			       |
		   \			       |--- Amiga!
		     smith@aic.nrl.navy.mil

akl@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Tillotson) (02/14/89)

In article <8677@louie.udel.EDU> smith@aic.nrl.navy.mil (Russ Smith) writes:
>Pardon, but I know little about Warp. Does it contain the above "SCA!..."
>stuff on purpose (like for pattern matching)? I noticed that later on
>it has a string that says something like "Sorry Bud, but this disk is
>infected..." or something.

     As far as I know it is supposed to be there.  I have used Warp both for
compression and decompression a number of times, and on several occasions it
has warned me that the disk was infected with a virus, and identified what
type of virus.  Presumably, that's what the strings are for... checking the
boot block for such strings seems like a convenient way of detecting
specific virus types...

     In any event, I've never known Warp to *introduce* a virus onto any
disk I've un-Warped to, so my opinion is that you shouldn't worry about it.

G'day, eh?
--TS

--
Rob Tillotson                           Usenet:  akl@mace.cc.purdue.edu
320 Brown St. #406                      BITNET:  ROBT@PURCCVM

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/14/89)

In article <1316@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, akl@mentor (Rob Tillotson) writes:
>     As far as I know it is supposed to be there.

I don't care how useful this is, this kind of functionality just isn't
appropriate.  I turned off access to the AmigaUUCP files on xanth when
I saw the first message showing the virus strings in the warp on xanth.  It
has since been turned back on, but with a warning README in that directory.

I wonder how many other observant people noticed those strings, and
ended up discarding the software?  They probably did the right thing.

	...tad

--
Tad Guy         <tadguy@cs.odu.edu>     Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA

akl@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Rob Tillotson) (02/15/89)

In article <7630@xanth.cs.odu.edu> tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) writes:
>In article <8677@louie.udel.EDU> smith@aic.nrl.navy.mil (Russ Smith) writes:
>>[ finds virus-like strings in the warp executable on xanth.cs.odu.edu ]
>
>In article <1316@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, akl@mentor (Rob Tillotson) writes:
>>     As far as I know it is supposed to be there.
>
>I don't care how useful this is, this kind of functionality just isn't
>appropriate.

     Why isn't it appropriate?  Warp's purpose is to compress entire disks
for transit, preserving all data including the boot block.  It seems to me
that checking the boot block for known viruses when it is transferred is a
very appropriate idea.  In fact, *not* checking for viruses in a program
such as Warp would be highly irresponsible given its function.  Remember,
not everyone uses a standard virus checking program, and those who do are not
necessarily going to be using it at the moment they unwarp or boot a recently
unwarped disk.

>I wonder how many other observant people noticed those strings, and
>ended up discarding the software?  They probably did the right thing.

     I would certainly be suspicious of such strings in a program that had
nothing to do with boot blocks, but Warp does.  Considering that Warp does
have a reason to be checking for viruses, I would try to find out whether that
was indeed their function, rather than discarding the program entirely.  I
figure it is always better to give such a program the benefit of the doubt and
figure out *why* it looks like it has a virus, rather than throwing possibly
harmless code out the window because it looks a little bit suspicious.

G'day, eh?
--TS

Disclaimer:  I didn't write Warp, I just use it every now and then.  And
Purdue probably doesn't care.

--

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/15/89)

and in article <1323@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, akl@mentor (Rob Tillotson) writes:
>     Why isn't it appropriate?  Warp's purpose is to compress entire disks
>for transit, preserving all data including the boot block.  It seems to me
>that checking the boot block for known viruses when it is transferred is a
>very appropriate idea.

It's just the UNIX programmer in me showing -- a utility should do one
thing well (and do it quietly).  If I want an image of a disk, I use a
utility to get an image of a disk.  If I want to look for viruses, I
use a utility to look for viruses.  I don't want comments from the
first utility about my disk unless it is directly related to copying
the disk (``Can't read cyl'', etc.)

>     I would certainly be suspicious of such strings in a program that had
>nothing to do with boot blocks, but Warp does.

Why is a boot block special?  Doesn't warp check for viruses
throughout the disk (it might catch itself)?  I'm being facetious, of
course.  My point is that I think it should just make the copy of the
disk and be done with it.

Philosophy.  There is no right answer.

	...tad

--