[comp.sys.amiga] WB 1.4 Enhancements, Life Without a Mouse

MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) (02/13/89)

Is it true that one of WB 1.4's goals is to make the Workbench itself more
useful?  If so, I would like to suggest it be made more useful, without the
mouse.

I liked the mouse at first, but now I hate to take my fingers off the keyboard;
it just seems to slow things down when I have to reach for the mouse.

Has everyone here tried FuncKey?  It is a macro program that also lets you
assign keys to cycle through all the windows and screens currently running
on your system.  I wish WB had this capability built into it.  Also, how about
the ability to cycle through all the available menus, icons, and gadgets on
a screen/window in some systematic way.

It would be nice if all program menus, including  Workbench, had
amiga-key menu short-cuts.  Each program should also assign a Help key to show
you a window with all the current keyboard short-cuts.    Right now, it seems
that only HALF of productivity programs have this feature.

Finally, I suspect other people have invented ways to make their meese
obsolete.  I would like to hear about them.

|============================================================================|
| (patient)  Go ahead doc, tell me the worst.                                |
| (doctor)   I'm sorry, but you have MS-DOS...                               |
| (patient)  MS-DOS??   ...Maybe I caught it from a toilet seat or something.|
| Dennis Gorrie (molnarrm at uregina1.bitnet)                                |
|============================================================================|

disd@hubcap.UUCP (Gary Heffelfinger) (02/14/89)

From article <8902131734.AA11006@jade.berkeley.edu>, by MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie):

> Is it true that one of WB 1.4's goals is to make the Workbench itself more
> useful?  If so, I would like to suggest it be made more useful, without the
> mouse.
>
> I liked the mouse at first, but now I hate to take my fingers off the keyboard;

Well I've still got a love affair with my mouse after nearly 3 years.  It's
just right for a number of things.  But...

> Has everyone here tried FuncKey?  It is a macro program that also lets you
> assign keys to cycle through all the windows and screens currently running
> on your system.  I wish WB had this capability built into it.  Also, how about

Ah, but that's the beauty of a well designed OS.  Programs like FuncKey
can run in harmony with nature.  It's not necessary to burden the
Workbench code with something not everyone needs or wants, when small
programs like FuncKey and Dmouse will do the trick.  Modularization is
good.  Monolithic programs are bad.

> It would be nice if all program menus, including  Workbench, had
> amiga-key menu short-cuts.
I'll second this heartily.  I've never quite understood this lack since
Intuition makes it so easy.

> Each program should also assign a Help key to show
> you a window with all the current keyboard short-cuts.    Right now, it seems
> that only HALF of productivity programs have this feature.
Yeah, Workbench could benefit from some online help, I guess.  But whether
or not individual programs have help screens has nothing to do with WB
1.4.

> Finally, I suspect other people have invented ways to make their meese
> obsolete.  I would like to hear about them.
If you're referring to Ed Meese, I'll second your request.  :-)  As for
the Amiga mouse, they'll have to pry mine out of my cold, dead fingers.
:-)

Gary

--
Gary R Heffelfinger   -  Not speaking for Clemson University
disd@hubcap.clemson.edu       -- FIX the Holodeck --

gaynor@bass.cis.ohio-state.edu (james e. gaynor) (02/14/89)

In article <8902131734.AA11006@jade.berkeley.edu> MOLNARRM@UREGINA1.BITNET (Dennis Gorrie) writes:

>Is it true that one of WB 1.4's goals is to make the Workbench itself more
>useful?  If so, I would like to suggest it be made more useful, without the
>mouse.
>
>I liked the mouse at first, but now I hate to take my fingers off the keyboard
>it just seems to slow things down when I have to reach for the mouse.
>
>Has everyone here tried FuncKey?  It is a macro program that also lets you
>assign keys to cycle through all the windows and screens currently running
>on your system.
>
>It would be nice if all program menus, including  Workbench, had
>amiga-key menu short-cuts.

	This is a lot of what I'd like to see, too.  I know you guys are
going to hate the comparison, but a lot of this sounds like some of the
better features of Mac OS.  Command key equivalents <sp> are standard on
almost all Mac programs, as well as in the OS, for things like opening
files, making new directories, and almost everything else you can do.
(there's even a set for ejecting from a given drive, but since the Ami has
a manual eject...)  Also, a standard INIT that comes with the Mac System
allows keyboard control (thru keypad) of all mouse functions, including
click-and-drag, and double-click.  (this is aimed mostly at handicaped
users).  Now my purpose wasn't to say how great Mac OS is (no comment) but
to show the things that could be used to make the Workbench a _real_
environment rather than the joke it is.  And I didn't even mention the
features that Apple would sue for copying <grin>.  The basic line is that
if Workbench is going to be worth anything, it needs to be made more
powerful.  All it is right now is a toy, and if CBM doesn't consider it
worth improving, they may as well drop it in further versions.

-=-
|  Jim Gaynor..."The Vampire Lestat"      Internet: gaynor@cis.ohio-state.edu |
| "There is a girl in NYC who calls herself the human tramopline.  And some-  |
|  -times when I'm falling and flying or tumbling in turmoil I say Oh, so     |
|  this is what she means..."		-Paul Simon, Graceland.               |

peter@sugar.uu.net (Peter da Silva) (02/15/89)

In article <35057@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, gaynor@bass.cis.ohio-state.edu (james e. gaynor) writes:
> Also, a standard INIT that comes with the Mac System
> allows keyboard control (thru keypad) of all mouse functions, including
> click-and-drag, and double-click.  (this is aimed mostly at handicaped
> users).

You're sitting at your Amiga, right? Hold down either AMIGA key and hit
the arrow keys. Now hold down a shift key as well and try it. Now hit the
left and right ALT keys. Now all we need is an input handler that finds the
next gadget and centers the mouse on it when you hit, say, AMIGA-HELP.

> Now my purpose wasn't to say how great Mac OS is (no comment) but
> to show the things that could be used to make the Workbench a _real_
> environment rather than the joke it is.

What, and you didn't mention Browser? :->
--
Peter "Have you hugged your wolf today" da Silva  `-_-'  Hackercorp.
...texbell!sugar!peter, or peter@sugar.uu.net      'U`