[comp.sys.amiga] Repeating RETURN key

nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) (02/06/89)

Anyone out there have a hack to allow the RETURN key to auto-repeat?  I long
for this feature, since other terminals etc. I use at work generally have it,
and I'm used to it.  I've got a notion that only one byte in the appropriate
device would need to be changed.

This would be nice to have in 1.4; perhaps a new preferences option?

 /.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ...\
/ Neil Weinstock | att!cord!nsw     | "One man's garbage is another     \
\ AT&T Bell Labs | nsw@cord.att.com | man's prune danish." - Harv Laser /
 \.- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . ... .- -- .. --. .- .-. ..- .-.. . .../

jimm@amiga.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) (02/06/89)

In article <687@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
)Anyone out there have a hack to allow the RETURN key to auto-repeat?  I long
)for this feature, since other terminals etc. I use at work generally have it,
)and I'm used to it.  I've got a notion that only one byte in the appropriate
)device would need to be changed.
)
)This would be nice to have in 1.4; perhaps a new preferences option?

Try using ^M as a synonym for RETURN.  Works in many situations, including
the console and some terminal programs.  It repeats.  Also, ^J works in
some situations.

I think it would be only a change in keymap.

Are there any really good keymap editors out there yet?
	jimm

--
Jim Mackraz, I and I Computing	   	"Like you said when we crawled down
{cbmvax,well,oliveb}!amiga!jimm          from the trees: We're in transition."

lindwall@sdsu.UUCP (John Lindwall) (02/07/89)

In article <687@cord.UUCP>, nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
> Anyone out there have a hack to allow the RETURN key to auto-repeat?  I long

 don't suppose you'd settle for holding down CTRL-M?  This will do a Carriage
Return and it does repeat.  :-P  <--- supposed to be tongue in cheek.

John Lindwall
johnl@tw-rnd.SanDiego.NCR.COM

eric@cbmvax.UUCP (Eric Cotton) (02/09/89)

In article <3309@amiga.UUCP> jimm@cloyd.UUCP (Jim Mackraz) writes:
>In article <687@cord.UUCP> nsw@cord.UUCP (Neil Weinstock) writes:
>)Anyone out there have a hack to allow the RETURN key to auto-repeat?  I long
>)for this feature, since other terminals etc. I use at work generally have it,
>)and I'm used to it.  I've got a notion that only one byte in the appropriate
>)device would need to be changed.
>)
>)This would be nice to have in 1.4; perhaps a new preferences option?

'r you talkin' to me Jim?

>I think it would be only a change in keymap.

Quite true.  Specifically, one would have to flip the  return key's bit
in the keymap's HiRepeatable table.

>Are there any really good keymap editors out there yet?

One day (ahem) I hope to let Keytoy allow you to alter a keymap rather
that just look at it.
--
Eric Cotton
Commodore-Amiga                                               (215) 431-9100

AXTBF%ALASKA.BITNET@cunyvm.cuny.edu (Tim Friest - programmer at large) (02/16/89)

I have written a Key Map Editor which would let you change the keymap file
so that the RETURN key repeats (you can make any key repeat or stop repeat-
ing as you like).  I haven't quite finished it, but I have a working version
if you'd like me to send it to you (perhaps you'd like to beta test it for
me)?

I will post it to the net in general soon (soon means this month), but it
needs a couple of things added.

AXTBF@ALASKA.BITNET