[comp.sys.amiga] Key busted on keyboard. What to do?

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius Cisek) (02/12/89)

I  dropped  a bottle (don't ask) on my poor Amiga 500 last night and the
'/' key on the keypad popped off. I  dare  not open her,  as she's still
under  warranty.   I  am  pretty  sure replacing this key is not covered
under the warranty. What can I do?  I feel so bad; she looks  positively
marred!

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/12/89)

In article <1556@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius Cisek) writes:

>I  dropped  a bottle (don't ask) on my poor Amiga 500 last night and the
>'/' key on the keypad popped off. I  dare  not open her,  as she's still
>under  warranty.   I  am  pretty  sure replacing this key is not covered
>under the warranty. What can I do?  I feel so bad; she looks  positively
>marred!

An errant (almost) 3 year old has messed with my (almost) 3 year old
A1000 keyboard to the point where the DEL key keeps coming off.

Take the key, ans apply a REAL SMALL dab of crazy glue to the underside
of the key, ans stick it back on the keyboard, and she'll be right
as rain, mate.

--
     ``I've re-written UNIX from, scratch.  God told me to''  - Ed Carp
decwrl!gryphon!richard        killer!gryphon!richard       elroy!gryphon!richard

jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius Cisek) (02/13/89)

I  failed  to  mention  that the post on which the key of my Amy 500 was
mounted is broken, so setting it back in won't really help.

--
  //Another    Julius Andrew Cisek          jac423@leah.albany.edu
\X/ Amiga      Box 199, 325 Western Ave.    jac423@rachel.albany.edu

richard@gryphon.COM (Richard Sexton) (02/13/89)

In article <1559@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius Cisek) writes:

>I  failed  to  mention  that the post on which the key of my Amy 500 was
>mounted is broken, so setting it back in won't really help.

So take a toothpick and glue the thing back on.  Just be real careful.

I've seen somebody glue a ``finger'' back on a NEC spinwriter thimble;
it's amazing what  little dab'll do.

Of course the guy who did this is a real glue, errr, sorry *adhesives*
weenie. He even gets ``adhesives age'' magazine.

--

gmg@hcx.uucp (Greg M. Garner) (02/16/89)

In article <1559@leah.Albany.Edu> jac423@leah.Albany.Edu (Julius Cisek) writes:

>I  failed  to  mention  that the post on which the key of my Amy 500 was
>mounted is broken, so setting it back in won't really help.

I fixed a broken tape player volume knob by drilling a tiny hole in
the post, and then inserting a tiny round piece of metal into the
resulting hole, gluing it in, and then gluing the knob on the part
of the metal sticking out. The metal is tuff enough so that it will
probably never break. The metal I used was from one of those tiny
little screwdriver sets, I just took one of the smallest bits and used
it. You could also use a toothpick instead of metal, as someone
mentioned earlier. Hope this helps!

  Greg Garner
  501-442-4847
  gmg@hcx.uucp   USENET: ...!uunet!harris.cis.ksu.edu!hcx!gmg