[comp.sys.amiga] Comp.sources.games on Xanth.cs.odu.edu

smsst5@cisunx.UUCP (Steve M Suhy) (02/15/89)

     FTPing to xanth.cs.odu.edu for the first time, I noticed a
subdirectory called comp.sources.games. Are these for the Amiga? And
if they are, no program greater than 25000 bytes doesn't have a
subdirectory. These subdirectories break down the games into Part1.Z,
Part2.Z, Patch1.Z...etc.  I know how to uncompress the files in Unix
but how do you merge them all? What is the patch? Any help?

     -Steve

tadguy@cs.odu.edu (Tad Guy) (02/16/89)

In article <15875@cisunx.UUCP>, smsst5@cisunx (Steve M Suhy) writes:
>     FTPing to xanth.cs.odu.edu for the first time, I noticed a
>subdirectory called comp.sources.games. Are these for the Amiga?

Not by design, no.  The /usenet/comp.sources.games directory is an
archive of the USENET newsgroup comp.sources.games.  Most of the stuff
there is for UNIX machines.  Some should port fairly easily, but none
of it is designed especially for the amiga.

>And
>if they are, no program greater than 25000 bytes doesn't have a
>subdirectory. These subdirectories break down the games into Part1.Z,
>Part2.Z, Patch1.Z...etc.

The organization of the /usenet directories on xanth is at the mercy
of the moderator of the newsgroups being archived.  The
comp.sources.games moderator likes to break things into small pieces.
Usually these are ``shell-archives'' (or just ``shars'').  There
should be a comment at the beginning of each saying something like
"Run this through /bin/sh".

>I know how to uncompress the files in Unix
>but how do you merge them all? What is the patch? Any help?

Patch is a utility by Larry Wall that is used to apply diffs to files.
You can gte a copy via ftp from jpl-devvax.jpl.nasa.gov.  It (like
most of Larry Wall's creations) is an excellect work.

	...tad

--
Tad Guy         <tadguy@cs.odu.edu>     Old Dominion University, Norfolk, VA