[comp.sys.amiga] Spell checker recommendations, please!

robert@hubcap.UUCP (Robert Reynolds) (02/07/89)

I'm using AmigaTeX and my favorite editor-of-the-month for document
production.  What I'm missing is a good spelling checker, and I'd
appreciate some recommendations.  Ideally, it would have a huge
dictionary, be fast, have a nice interface that also allows interactive
document correction, understand TeX and LaTeX (enough not to flag
commands as misspelled words), and be free.  Yeah, that's all.
So, what's really available?  Thanks for the help!

--
Robert Reynolds                 uucp: ... !gatech!hubcap!robert
CS Dept, Clemson Univ.    	ARPA: ROBERT@TECNET-CLEMSON.ARPA

ejkst@cisunx.UUCP (Eric J. Kennedy) (02/09/89)

In article <4329@hubcap.UUCP> robert@hubcap.UUCP (Robert Reynolds) writes:
>I'm using AmigaTeX and my favorite editor-of-the-month for document
>production.  What I'm missing is a good spelling checker, and I'd
>appreciate some recommendations.  Ideally, it would have a huge
>dictionary, be fast, have a nice interface that also allows interactive
>document correction, understand TeX and LaTeX (enough not to flag
>commands as misspelled words), and be free.  Yeah, that's all.
>So, what's really available?  Thanks for the help!

Ispell.  It's free.  It understands TeX.  It has a fair sized (and user
extensible) dictionary.  It allows an additional user dictionary, and
lets you interactively make corrections (similar to the way the
wordperfect spelling checker operates).  And it's pretty fast, since
it loads the dictionary and operates in ram.

Unfortunately, I don't remember where I got it.  I ftp'ed  it from
somewhere, but for the life of me I can't remember where.  Does anybody
remember where that was?  The guy who ported it sold his amiga, so
Ispell needs a new custodian.  It does need a little work, but it's
usable as is.

You need at least a meg (maybe more) and will probably want a hard disk
to use Ispell.

--
Eric Kennedy
ejkst@cisunx.UUCP

rokicki@polya.Stanford.EDU (Tomas G. Rokicki) (02/16/89)

> >I'm using AmigaTeX and my favorite editor-of-the-month for document
> >production.  What I'm missing is a good spelling checker, and I'd
>
> Ispell.  It's free.  It understands TeX.  It has a fair sized (and user
> extensible) dictionary.  It allows an additional user dictionary, and

I hacked ISpell to add my own favorite feature---document specific words.
Ever write a paper and use the acronym BLUT (or some such) so you want
that document to pass it, but not to add it to your private dictionary?
Simple.  Just put a line something like

      ispell'local'words BLUT any.other.words.that.are.okay

somewhere in the file (usually in some comment or something) and ISpell
will pass it.  Better yet, a command line option will create such a list
for you of all words you `pass for the rest of the document, but don't
add to the dictionary' so you can spell-check it once, insert those
lines, and every further time you spell-check, no complaints.

It's available from Radical Eye Radio BBS (415) 32-RADIO.  Or, if you
can't do that, send me your name and address (no disks or SASE's, please)
and I'll mail it to you . . .

-tom