[comp.sys.amiga] who makes the 8520s?

crb@raybed2.UUCP (CHRIS BURTTON) (01/31/89)

	Does anyone know who makes the 8520 used in the Amiga
	for the parallel port and disk interface?  I'm trying
	to get data sheets for them.  IC master list four companies
	making an IC by that number.  Intersil's wasn't even
	digital, I couldn't find the number in any of the Motorola
	books and the other two companies, MicroSys and SiliconSys,
	I couldn't find data books for.

	Can anyone tell me who makes it?????/

					Chris Burton
					...rayssd!raybed2!crb

phil@eos.UUCP (Phil Stone) (02/01/89)

In article <1263@raybed2.UUCP> crb@raybed2.UUCP (CHRIS BURTTON) writes:

>	Does anyone know who makes the 8520 used in the Amiga
>	for the parallel port and disk interface?
 		<some stuff deleted>
>	Can anyone tell me who makes it?????/
>					Chris Burton
>					...rayssd!raybed2!crb

Commodore makes the chip (I went through the same search process you did -
it sure *sounds* like a Motorola part number).  Info about it is in the
Hardware Reference Manual, though no formal spec. sheet - maybe CATS is the
place to go for that.

		Phil Stone	 (phil@eos.arc.nasa.gov  OR  phil@eos.UUCP)

kodiak@amiga.UUCP (Robert R. Burns) (02/01/89)

In article <1263@raybed2.UUCP> crb@raybed2.UUCP (CHRIS BURTTON) writes:
)	Does anyone know who makes the 8520 used in the Amiga
)	for the parallel port and disk interface?

Chips with the stylized letters MOS on them, like these, are made by
Commodore Semiconductor -- i.e. the in-house chip facility.
--
Bob Burns, amiga!kodiak                   _
| /_  _|. _ |      Commodore __          |_) _ |_  _ )'
|<(_)(_)|(_\|<      /\ |  ||| _` /\      |_)(_\| )(_\ |
| \ Software    ___/..\|\/|||__|/..\___           Faith

In article <1263@raybed2.UUCP> crb@raybed2.UUCP (CHRIS BURTTON) writes:
>	Does anyone know who makes the 8520 used in the Amiga
>	for the parallel port and disk interface?

	Yes.  Commodore.

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

In <1263@raybed2.UUCP>, crb@raybed2.UUCP (CHRIS BURTTON) writes:
>	Does anyone know who makes the 8520 used in the Amiga
>	for the parallel port and disk interface?  I'm trying
>	to get data sheets for them.  IC master list four companies
>	making an IC by that number.  Intersil's wasn't even
>	digital, I couldn't find the number in any of the Motorola
>	books and the other two companies, MicroSys and SiliconSys,
>	I couldn't find data books for.
>
>	Can anyone tell me who makes it?????/

MOS Technology makes them. CBM owns MOS Technology. CBM makes them.

-larry

--
Frisbeetarianism: The belief that when you die, your soul goes up on
                  the roof and gets stuck.

dan@cbmvax.UUCP (Dan Baker CATS) (02/04/89)

In article <1263@raybed2.UUCP> crb@raybed2.UUCP (CHRIS BURTTON) writes:

>	Does anyone know who makes the 8520 used in the Amiga
>	for the parallel port and disk interface?  I'm trying
>	to get data sheets for them.

An 8520 chip spec was published in the 2nd Annual Amiga Developer's
Conference Notes which can be purchased from CATS Orders for $20.
The 8520 chip spec published in the Notes is adapted from the official 6526
data sheet from MOS Technology. [It's a xerox with changes in a few places]
The 6526 was the precursor to the 8520 and the chips are very similar in
operation.
--
 Dan Baker, CATS

lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) (02/10/89)

In article <1263@raybed2.UUCP> crb@raybed2.UUCP (CHRIS BURTTON) writes:

>	Does anyone know who makes the 8520 used in the Amiga
>	for the parallel port and disk interface?  I'm trying
>	to get data sheets for them.  IC master list four companies
>	making an IC by that number.
>	Can anyone tell me who makes it?????/
>					Chris Burton
>					...rayssd!raybed2!crb

The chip is custom, and is designed by Commodore, and fabricated
by MOS Technology (Commodore Semiconductor?).  I dont beleive they
are second sourced, or are distributed for public consumption.  Data
sheets (rudimentry) can be found in the Amiga hardware manual's appendix.
You can also find info in various books on the C-64 for the chip
6522 (Can't remember number offhand), which is only slightly modified
to make the 8520.

The only place I know where you can buy these chips are as replacement parts
from a Commodore dealer.

--
	"What is a DJ if he can't scratch?"  - Uncle Jamms Army
The views expressed are those of the author, and not of Visual Edge, nor Usenet.

lel@wuphys.UUCP (Lyle E. Levine) (02/11/89)

Half of one of the Amiga's two 8520's is available for
programmers to use. I was looking into this the other day
and noticed that I should be able to use this as a built in
random event counter for data acquisition. I could hook in through
the parallel port.  The only question is, how fast can it count
pulses?  I know it should be able to handle 1 megahz, but can it take
more?  Inquiring minds want to know!

==========
IBM is a Division of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation
"their fundamental design flaws are completely hidden by their
superficial design flaws."
			- "So Long And Thanks For All The Fish"

Lyle Levine: Paths -> ihnp4!wuphys!lel       Best way: (314)889-6379
		      uunet!wucs!wuphys!lel

In article <2779@vedge.UUCP> lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) writes:
>In article <1263@raybed2.UUCP> crb@raybed2.UUCP (CHRIS BURTTON) writes:
>>	Does anyone know who makes the 8520 used in the Amiga
>
>The chip is custom, and is designed by Commodore, and fabricated
>by MOS Technology (Commodore Semiconductor?).  I dont beleive they
>are second sourced, or are distributed for public consumption.
>The only place I know where you can buy these chips are as replacement parts
>from a Commodore dealer.

	I think one of the chips places that advertises (advertised?) in the
back of Byte and in the Computer Shopper sells them (same place that sells
C-64 chips).

--
Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

jbh@mibte.UUCP (James Harvey) (02/16/89)

In article <5962@cbmvax.UUCP>, jesup@cbmvax.UUCP (Randell Jesup) writes:
> In article <2779@vedge.UUCP> lai@vedge.UUCP (David Lai) writes:
> >In article <1263@raybed2.UUCP> crb@raybed2.UUCP (CHRIS BURTTON) writes:
> >>	Does anyone know who makes the 8520 used in the Amiga
> >
> >The chip is custom, and is designed by Commodore, and fabricated
> >by MOS Technology (Commodore Semiconductor?).  I dont beleive they
> >are second sourced, or are distributed for public consumption.
> >The only place I know where you can buy these chips are as replacement parts
> >from a Commodore dealer.
>
> 	I think one of the chips places that advertises (advertised?) in the
> back of Byte and in the Computer Shopper sells them (same place that sells
> C-64 chips).
>
> --
> Randell Jesup, Commodore Engineering {uunet|rutgers|allegra}!cbmvax!jesup

Somebody gave me a flyer from a place that has them.  The ad has
most of the cips for the C64, 128, amiga and the C64 drives
(motors etc too).

the address is:
Delta Computing Technologies Corp.
292 North Plank Rd.
Newburgh, NY  12550
phone is 914-565-7080
Watts order number is 800-227-4051

I know nothing more about this company than what the six page
catalog lists.  THe 8520 is $18.95 (page 4).

--

Jim Harvey                        |      "Ask not for whom the bell
Michigan Bell Telephone           |      tolls and you will only pay

ulysses!gamma!mibte!jbh